It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics, Scott Reid, kids, beer & popcorn and You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
How will you spend your Harper bucks if, by the grace of disgruntled voters across the land, we put the Conservatives into power next year?

Link

Scott Reid has apologized for saying that parents would only spend the $25 a week, promised by the Conservatives, on beer and popcorn. Knowing a 12 pack and a box of Cracker Jacks pretty well eats into that pocket change, leaving you a cuppla loonies for the piggy bank, he might be onto something...

What about it, Canucks? Fess up...

My kids are grown up, but, since I prefer hard liquor and I hate popcorn because it gets into the spaces between my teeth, I'd spend it on an X-box so I could have quality time with my non-existant youngsters.

btw...how much is daycare these days? I know some families that spend more than $25 a week on private baby-sitters while they slave away at 2 or 3 minimum wage jobs just to pay the rent.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If I was getting that $100/month I would end up the increasing utility paying bills with it.

Right now both my kids are under six so for me it would be $200/month. That will help me with the $1500 debt I have with Alberta Health care or maybe the $1600 that my wife has to pay back to the government because they over paid her when she was on her maternity leave.

Maybe I can buy a new oven. With the one I have the only things that work on it are two of the burners. My living room window has needed to be replaced for about 2 years now. One of the panes got smashed and when I tried cleaning it up I cracked the other pane. I also need a plumber to fix my main water valve. It is rusted shut so I can't turn off the main water and fix the leaky faucet in the washroom.

In other words, the money wont be going directly to my kids.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you have no young children you shouldnt have to think about where you will spend the money because you will not be getting any money.

I have no kids and I have no clue what I would spend it on if I was getting the aid.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
If you have no young children you shouldnt have to think about where you will spend the money because you will not be getting any money.

Dang...me 'n the Goddess had better get busy. I sure don't want to miss out on such a windfall. The way it stands now, I'll be missing out on $800 before we qualify. Doh!!!

This should be retro-active by...erm...35 years.

Whoa...35x$1200x2=$84,000...that's a lotta beer and popcorn!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I get nothing.

If I did have children, I would probably spend the money on Advil and therapy.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Scott Reid is an idiot. In typically grandiose Big Brother style, the liberals obviously believe they know best how parents should spend our own money, and so they will designate the approved child care of THEIR choosing and not ours. The liberal plan has a dirty little secret. First it is not a National daycare programm at all- its just the liberals shipping tax money to the provinces, who may use it to create more daycare spaces, or may not. Some for example plan to use it to increase the childcare workers salaries. Second the plan totally ignores the majority of Canadian families with young children in favour of the one-in-four who favour institutional daycare. The conservatives propose to keep what we have, including all existing funding for child-care centres- the first year of Ottawa's $5-billion plan too- but give new future money to parents directly for the child care of their choice. This is where some people are confused, the conservatives would not claw back money from childcare centres that are already there. Those centres would continue to get the same level of funding they now receive, on top of whatever the provinces put in on their own. Some are saying the $1200.00 annual payment isn't enough for daycare, it's not supposed to be. Nor is it to replace what currently exists.
It is a re-direction of some childcare resources to parents.
I remember when my daughter was little , $100.00 a month would have helped me alot, whether I used the money to pay for a sitter (single mom)
or used it to buy groceries or to take my kid to the movies. Either way the money is going in my pocket and I tend to think the majority of Canadians with pre-school children will use the money wisely and accordingly. Oh, and for those esteemed liberal MP's who feel that pre-school children not in institutionalized daycare won't fair that well academically, think again. My daughter was never in daycare, and has never suffered any drawbacks , she is 17 and has a 92 average.
well mannered and a good kid.

on a sidenote; who says we all like beer and popcorn, I'm rather partial to a fine bottle of cabernet and some fritos

new topics

top topics

join