It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

red pope shoes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Actually, as something of a fashionista, I rather like the idea of a Pope in Prada shoes and Gucci sunglasses.
However, alas, as a Catholic I am constantly sickened by the blatant disregard of the rules of poverty (and chastity) that are flaunted by many of the Holy Orders.
For example: Our parish has had to cut down the number of masses per day and cancelled the 5:30 mass which was the one most working people could attend. (all due to economics). Meanwhile, the 3 priests ( we are down to 3 from 6) live in palatial splendor..not in the rectory, but a 650,000$ house with swimming pool etc.
Another example: Our disgraced Bishop (Bishop O'Brien who was convicted of leaving the scene of a fatality accident) is STILL living in his posh house in Central Phoenix.
In the interim, we are told we have fewer masses, priests can't visit the sick and few confession times all due to economics.
To me, this is far worse than a stray pair of Pradas (although the Prada may be emblematic of the larger problem)
And, no Catholic bashing! I am a loyal Catholic. I don't hate the Church. I love the Church. I just think there is some misguided thinking and misplaced priorities.
Fini,
joey

[edit on 13-12-2005 by joey]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
everyone is human, even the pope, but could you ever imagnine Mother Teresa(may she rest in peace) wearing those freaky things. I wonder if he sleeps with them on

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thfoth05
Everyone seems to be picking on you. Just tap those red Prada shoes together three times and repeat after me... There's no place like Rome, there's no place like Rome...

OK, maybe that one was too easy but it's still hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
seems like there is a story often repeated in the Catholic faith about this guy who preached about the importance of taking care of the poor, the hungry, the naked, the sick, etc. but, I guess that kinda went out of fashion (pun intended).

I mean, even if those were gifts, someone following the teachings of this guy they called the Christ would admonish the giver by asking how many hungry children could have been fed with what those baubles cost...there's a line from a popular song I've been trying (and failing) to remember - it may have been Dylan - that says something about all the gold in the Vatican could save most of the hungry children of the world.

Not to pick on the RCC overmuch, you could easily say the same things about Dobson, Falwell, Bush, Billy Graham, Robertson, and on-and-on with the Protestants...maybe the Jews and Muslims have the same thing and are doing just as poorly.

The point is that it makes a lot of their message incongruous with their practices, doncha think?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Al Davison
The point is that it makes a lot of their message incongruous with their practices, doncha think?

No, I don't think so.

You just have to remember that some animals are more equal than others.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
They could have been gifts from those designers wanting their names out there to be associated with the Pope. But yes, people are just that, people(pope included). I guess when it comes to material possessions, we expect our leaders/religious icons to be more humble and subtle.

The same can be said for all of us here. We could use the money we have paying for internet service to help end hunger/poverty in third world countries. But again, we are only human, and we can not think of all things we do that could help bring about change. So we try in doses in hopes that whatever we contribute helps out the bigger picture.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hmmmm.............

The Pope Wears Prada.

Why the hell does the pope need to live in luxury when technically, he aint supposed to have any fun at all, like getting laid or partying.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The hypocrisy of the Catholic church is breathtaking. I was baptised RC, but am now an avowed atheist.

The mind control which had my mother in its thrall did not get the chance to work on me.

When I lived in the UK, my employer provided private health insurance. When availing myself of this, I bumped into my local priest, having private, and very expensive, treatment for a minor knee complaint.

I had occasion to visit his home when arranging my son's baptism. He lived in one of the most splendid homes in a splendid area, absolutely no sign of poverty or humility there.

There is so much that annoys me about catholicism; persuading the flock to part with their hard earned readies every week with the collection plate going round to raise funds for the priest's beer fund; speaking out strongly on the evils of contraception, encouraging already poor parishioners into further grinding poverty by making them think it is wrong to use birth control, yet not offering subsidies from its huge coffers to help the poor.

So the pope bemoans materialism coming into Christmas does he? Have you seen the Vatican?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I would like to know the history behind the Popes and the jewelry that they wear on their fingers and on their shoes. I cannot find any kind of information on where did these large Rubies, Emeralds, etc... come from. We are taught in society to not to be materialistic but the Pope's should practice what they preach. Are the jewels passed down throughout our history, if so are those jewels are a part of the turmoil of dead Africians and their minds, when Europe took over Africa, did this happen? emali address; [email protected]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowXIX

I agree with your post. Not only Peter but all the disciples.

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I wish that this silly thread had stayed dead, but as it hasn't:

The Pope's shoes (including the red ones in question) are made by a cobbler named Adriano Stefanelli. When they are worn into disrepair they are repaired by a Peruvian shoemaker who has a shop next to St. Peters named Antonio Arellano.

Many of the more ostentatious clothes that the Pope has are literally decades old.

I have no idea about the watch, but I would assume that the 'expensive limousine' is due to the need for bulletproof vehicles such as those used for the President.

Eric

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is from ABC news

According to the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano, the bright red loafers that Pope Benedict XVI wears are not designed by the Milanese fashion house, as has long been rumored.

"Obviously the attribution was false," the Vatican newspaper said in its Thursday's editions

Hopefully this puts the story to rest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join