It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

red pope shoes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I hope this is the right forum for this.....Just recently the pope made a speach regarding how christmas was being taken over by materialism and the world should focus on more selfless thoughts.

But does the pope not have a very expensive pair of prada slippers. The late pope john had a simple pair of brown shoes amywelborn.typepad.com...

Also he has been seen sporting a stylish watch and driving an expensive limo to see the italian pres..
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 12-12-2005 by fishmaster]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I am sure popes enjoy the material things just like we mere mortals do..

I think he meant the excessive buying...I'm sure the pope has someone to do that sort of thing for him...hence the red Prada shoes.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Man whenever I see all that Catholic church bling I get sick.

I mean check out this pope ring how many people could that feed in Africa? Is there any need for a pope to have jewelry.

I think Saint Peter would be be turing over in his grave if he could see the materialism of the church today and the Middle ages.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
That may be the papal ring handed down from pope to pope.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

whoa whoa whoa.....hold on a minute here okay, just hold on... hold on

are you saying that religious leaders can be, nay, have been and are being hypocritical? 'Cuz thats just totally out of line. You have offended my religious sensibilities and I will sue you in court sir. Thats right, I will sue your ass.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Everyone seems to be picking on you. Just tap those red Prada shoes together three times and repeat after me... There's no place like Rome, there's no place like Rome...

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
That may be the papal ring handed down from pope to pope.

Handed down since when? Since the corrupt Middle ages Church?

The father of the Catholic Church Peter would have been shocked at the materialism of the church IMHO. I find it ironic that the pope condems Christmas materialism, Theres a thread on ATS about that now I believe.

Talk about the Pot calling the Kettle black.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Maybe dorothy gave him the nice red shoes, as she was just a poor girl from Kansas, yet she had lovely shoes!

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
ive heard sayings of women with read shoes, but what do you say of a pope with them red shoes

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I actually seen something about his shoes, "pope-mobile", sunglasses and watches this morning on Good Morning America. They had said that one of his PR people or something said they were gifts from bishops and stuff or something like that.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverSurfer
but what do you say of a pope with them red shoes

He's like a teacher in the summertime--he's got no class.

Or maybe just odd tastes. Red shoes seem a little misplaced, IMO. On anyone's feet. (though I admit I did have some myself, when I was an odd, no-class, misplaced teenager.)

[edit on 12/12/2005 by queenannie38]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Actually that ring is verry important. Each pope has their own right crafted with their own seal. When a letter of utmost importance is sent out eh pope seals the the envlope with hot wax and his ring. Each pope has had his own induval ring and none are alike. When the pope dies the ring is smashed and destroyed.

... This new information may actaully make this stone casting session more hot.....

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I thought everything the Pope owns, was paid for by the Vatican, & their great huge fund of money they steal from the peasants & everyone else in the World?

Maybe I'm wrong, but somehow I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
and he's just the puppet.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
The father of the Catholic Church Peter would have been shocked at the materialism of the church IMHO.

Hmmm, as best I can ascertain, Eusebius is the true father of the Catholic church, and he was plenty materialistic.

The Catholic church claims Peter is the first pope, but there's no credible evidence to support that. Peter could very well have been a fictional character.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
He's the pope! People are people! He has to uphold some standards. Followers generally don't want an unkempt leader. Now they do wear some odd duds but remember tradition and all. If he wore a Timex and a pair of flip flops people would talk..

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Just to clear up some misconceptions:

1) Popes have traditionaly worm red shoes. They were usually presented as gift by the taylor of the papal cassock, although it seems in this case that is not true. JP II favored the brown shoes he was used to wearing in Poland, but there are pictures of him in the red papal shoes.

2) Each pope does have a ring with a seal on it. The ring had been used in the past to imprint his seal on important documents, but that is not the case any more. The ring is destroyed when the pope dies and new one is fashioned once a new pope is elected.

3) I understand and agree and that there is no need for prada shoes. If they were a gift then that is another matter. If they weren't a gift and he used is own money to pay for the shoes I still don't think it is a big deal (although I do think it is very poor judgement). If he used the Vatican coffers to pay for them then it is downrigt disgusting. To play devil's advocate though, the hundreds of dollars spent on the shoes compared to the tens of millions of dollars the Vatican uses to help the poor is pretty insignificant.

Unless its a gift is pretty piss-poor judgement.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
If you play in the superbowl you get a ring, too, don't ya?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilverSurfer
ive heard sayings of women with read shoes, but what do you say of a pope with them red shoes

Bad taste in colors?
Bad color sight?
No color sight?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Actually, come to think of it, whats the difference if he's got designer shoes and robes? The RCC is fabulously wealthy as is, far beyond the pittiance of these shoes and clothes.

We're probably never going to see, for example, an ascetic pope. Or bishop (in modern times).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join