It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Berg, father of Nick Berg, to run for congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Just after the sun dipped beyond the horizon on a busy Friday rush hour, two young men in a darkened car pulled to a stop on Wilmington’s Delaware Avenue.

The men looked over at the cluster of anti-war protesters standing on the I-95 overpass and one twentysomething yelled, “Get over it!”

Most of the 15 or so protesters took the shout as a knee-jerk reaction to their cause. Some even laughed.

Not Michael Berg.

At the moment, he was holding a homemade sign bearing a photo familiar to people around the world, and the words, “Nick Berg April 12, 1978 – May 7, 2004.” The haunting photo showed his son, Nick, sitting in an orange jumpsuit with arms and feet bound. Five masked men stand menacingly behind him. They’re armed.

If Berg beats Castle, he says he won't be tooling around the marble halls of Congress in Armani. "I told the Greens, what you see is what you get. I don't dress up," he says. "I won't wear the same sheep's clothing that the wolves wear."

He also told the Greens that if any campaign activities conflict with his weekly peace vigils, they'll have to do without him.

A week after announcing his candidacy, Michael mulled over that night's events. He talked about the shouting motorist with his therapist, he says.

"I was thinking to myself this guy was talking to the whole group. He was meaning, 'You're a bunch of bleeding-heart liberals. Get over it.' And maybe he wouldn't have even said it if he realized I was standing there and had lost someone in the war.

"But it hurts just as much. He's talking to all of us, that includes me. He's telling me to get over the loss of my son.

"That's never gonna happen."

delaware online

He is seeking the Green Party's nomination to run against for congress in Delaware. If he becomes the lightening rod that Cindy Sheehan was, for both Dems and Repubs, get ready for lot of mud-slinging, from both sides.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Cindy Shewho a lightning rod for the Democrats? Please. She has helped the Republicans alot more than the Democrats. He sounds just as deranged as Shewho. I hope he runs, let the fun begin!

join