It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Blows away Do-Not-Call

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 11:44 AM
link   
CNN.com

This is yet another example of how out of touch the court system is with the people of this country.

50 Million people signed up for this list. 50 Million Americans have shown their disgust with pesky rats calling them on the phone and harassing them with misleading sales pitches. 50 Million people have shown that they don't appreciate phone companies tricking the elderly into switching services, don't like being asked about the aluminum siding on their HIGH RISE APARTMENT, and have no interest in donating money to charities that have relocated 12 times in the last year because of embezzlement scandals.

This court in Oklahoma has shown that the view of one Judge apparently outweighs the view of 50 million American Citizens. I don't give a damn about technical rules and laws. This is supposed to be a government "for the people and by the people" isn't it? The people no longer want to be harassed in their homes during their private time by uncaring, nasty, and dishonest businessmen.

The people spoke and the court ignored.

I think all 50 million people who signed up for that list should call the judge in Oklahoma at his house every damn night for the next 50 years and offer to sell him everything they can think of. After 50 million phone calls selling carpet brushes i'd wager he'll reconsider his decision.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I can sense an increase in calls now already. Especially to those of us who signed up. Someone will get that list and sell it to those who want to start new calling campaigns and we will get nailed. Bad move on the courts part. Now I wonder what will happen at the state level. Many staes already had a DNC list. Will these now get over-ridden too???

I guess it's time to invest in the small airhorns to hold up to the phone reciever. They may get the hint after much of their callers get hearing damage.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Great idea!

Funny thing about this Telemarketing "union" is how they talk about how it's millions of employees etc.

If it was my job to approach people in the street and follow them as they walk, yelling in their ears about the latest sales even though they explicitly stated non-interest, would you feel bad when I got fired?

I hope not.

That's what these bastards do. On a daily basis, to millions of us.

Requests of take me off your list get laughed at. I say that we as citizens have a RIGHT to our peace.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Damn right. Telemarketers are one of the lowest level of employee possible. I am not saying they are bad people, but they are very unskilled. Who cares if they lose the job.

I hate to see unemployed people, but, get a real job that doesn't make you look like a dick to people. I would NEVER work in a job like that. You are public enemy #1. I always tell them, don't call me, I'll call you. Take my name OFF the list. Then hear from them a week later.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
someone please give me the judges name. I live in oklahoma, and would love to harrass the shyte out of him. I am so damn tired of the junk calls. The other night i said to a real estate pitch guy..."i have requested this before, but would you please remove me from your call list as it is illegal in this State to call after i requested you not to (a bluff). The guy had the balls to say "it is not illegal until next month..." so i repeated my request " well then please remove me so i don't have to keep hanging up on you after shouting in your ear" click... if an Oklahoma judge threw down that ruling... I would call on a nightly basis right at dinner time. someone give me a link to story please...and the judges name. I have a lot of junk i could sell him...

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Bah, with caller id, if I don't know the number, I don't answer...and they can leave a message...something most of them don't do. Also, I simply got rid of the home phone, and use a cell, and a lot less marketers get that number it seems... If I receive one such call a week, it'd be a lot more than I'm used to.

BTW: Harassing a judge is NEVER a good idea...unless of course, you can do it anonymously....

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho
I guess it's time to invest in the small airhorns to hold up to the phone reciever. They may get the hint after much of their callers get hearing damage.

That works too, I had that same idea a couple years ago. The problem now is that the calls I get now don't even have real people on them. I get stupid recorded messages 90% of the time. Now I look at caller ID and if I know the person I answer it, otherwise it goes right to the answering machine. Everyone I know has now gotten the point that I almost never answer the phone or have the ringer off, so leave a message and I'll call ya back. I hate the phone anyway. Those 50 million people should call. email, fax, etc.. that judge everyday, I like that idea. Or for some real fun, now and then call from a pay phone or public phone somewhere and just leave it off the hook and walk away. The line wont reset until the caller hangs up, unless that's been changed, but I don't think so?!?!?

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
BTW, the direct marketing association needs to get daily calls. the number to "register as a new member" is 212 768-7277. It seems the main reason they got the ruling cancelled is that they maintain there own "do not call/mail" lists. They say they have a very good record with these being honored, but they point out that there is nothing they can do if someone is not a member. No laws to prosecute and no recourse for the victims. The BIG catch here is that it still costs $5.00 to have your name added to the do not call list and $5 more for the do not mail list. This is a money maker if you ask me. The mafia makes money in exactly the same way through protection rackets. "pay us protection money so that we don't bother you". they call it racketering (spelling) when they do it though. I feel sorry for the people who will lose there jobs, but that isn't really a job. (BTW, i am in phone sales, but our customers expect the calls)

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Chambers Page for
The Honorable Lee R. West
Senior United States District Judge
Western District of Oklahoma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Courthouse
200 N.W. Fourth St. Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Rm 3001, Courtroom 303, Third Floor
Chambers Telephone: 405-609-5140
Chambers Facsimile: 405-609-5151

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chambers Staff:

Wilma Administrative Assistant 405-609-5140
Beverly Courtroom Deputy - Case Manager 405-609-5142
Cindy Law Clerk
Jacqueline Law Clerk
Tim Court Reporter 405-609-5163

Hon. Lee R. West
Senior Judge
U.S. District Court
Western District of Oklahoma
3001 U.S. Courthouse
200 NW Fourth Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Here is the info at the court house... If you all would like to call or mail them with your oppinions...

Here is the link from their site with this information:

www.okwd.uscourts.gov...

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
For those interested in the full text of the decision and arguments:

FindLaw.com

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
My favorites are the ones with an automated voice that then asks you to hold....

Yeah right...what embicile actually does? Those calls get the same response.....*click*

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I had a sneaking suspicion that this would happen. The direct marketers are fairly strong. I also think it was a ruse by the government to have us volunteer info to them. That is why I did not join the list (though I am on our state level list, which works quite well.)

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The New York list seems to have been pretty effective. So is *77. Which here blocks calls from private numbers. Most of them use private numbers when calling to harass you.

My favorite ones are the ones you call. For example you call up for a service and they help you out, and then say something to you like "Hey, Please hold on and I'll transfer you to someone who can tell you how to get $20 in free gas!"

Personally, I just hang up when they hit transfer. I also tell phone companies my house is a funeral home and my clients don't need long distance. Sometimes I tell them I died so they'll MAYBE take me off the list.

Also, it works wonders to force them to repeat every sentence to you every few seconds. "What's that? I don't hear so well, can you say it again louder??" Only the real dedicated few will keep you on the phone more than a minute.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
In my mind I thought that this was a pipe dream. An administrative nightmare. How could you even run this or even enforce it.

Sad part is that I am becoming immune to this stuff, getting better at saying no. Soon everyone will have to and then the party is over.

I do have sympathy for people that do this for a living because it is not any easy way to make a living for sure. Had a call the other night about some medical survey, so I was in a good mood and I said sure. About 30 seconds later I get the impression they are trying to sign me up for a credit card or sell me something. Too much financial information they want. I tell them no, you stepped over the line, that is not what we originally agreed to.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
damn telemarketers. at my parents' house, my parents signed themselves up for the national do not call list. now all the telemarketing calls they receieve are for me or my brother.

sneaky tip to get rid of telemarketers: whenever they call, tell them they've reached a cell phone number. they are not supposed to call cell phones (or any line where you're charged by the minute), so you'll get a nice apology and they won't call back. sneaky, but it's somewhat kinder than air horns

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Perhaps those of us with free long distance can exercise our First Amendment rights and let the court know how we feel by calling them at (405)609-5000.

My hatred of telemarketers is limited. I only want all their personal phone numbers published. Same for telephone company executives who fail to offer the option of blocking them.
What ever happpened to penalizing the telemarketing co's for 'evading' the "right to call when specifically asked not to"?

Btw....where did I put my 'tele-zapper' at.....?

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 02:55 PM
link   
come on 50 million people say that they want the calls to stop. and now the one judge says its illegal. In My Mind The People Have Spoken And The Government Is Not Listening

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are listening now. Maybe not the judge, but the Govt. check the thread I started. Has an update. This was one of the fastest legislation passes of all time.

posted on Sep, 26 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
This really pisses me off. But its not the first time something by the people was shot down.

Look at state inititives that got shot down, from controling access of illegal immigrants to public services to ;egalizing pot for medicine.

Telemarketing is a scam. If there product was so good, they wouldnt need to call people up and bug them. I get so tired of the bull# shifty telemarketer calls, and phone companies who sell private phone numbers to these companies.

The problem is with the elderly, who are old, not in touch, and a bit lonely, they get calls from people and dont use airhorns. This is disgusting really, 50 million people on the do not call list, and they turn it down. Youre right, DJ, the courts are way out of touch.

When I get a live person calling, I cuss them out badly screaming every obscenity and abuse i can think of. After I started doing that, I got les phone calls. The problem is with recorded messages.

Thus, here in washington, qwest the local phone company has a lovely system you pay for, but it blocks most telemarketers. Its called Caller ID block. Anyone who has thier number blocked has to unblock thier number, which will read on your caller id. no more annynmous calls. some telemarketers get through, but most of them dont.

I do think calling and harrassing this judge would be a good thing.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Why exactly would a telemarketer want to waste their time calling someone who will not want to buy their product? These guys sometimes pay long-distance fees to call people out of state, why would they want to waste thier money calling me, when all I am going to do is hang up?

new topics

top topics

join