It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is college right?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbfan1

Originally posted by Frosty

Originally posted by bsbfan1
I can read at a college Graduate school level, but yet, I can't afford schooling for an associte degree, and most of the classes they teach are all math base. So why do they allow schools like Yale and others to make so much money, while dumbing down students, and lowering the standard of living and the quality of goods in the USA?

As far as I can say, Yale is not the only school in America that offers math classes. You do know this? There are plenty of other schools out there that offer math such as East Tennesse State University, Mizzou, Nebraska, Lamar, etc.

And your basis for saying that Yale is dumbing down their students because they won't let you in, please, do not use ATS as a whining tool do that with your mommy. Simply find another school to attend like everyone else does.

I hate to say it, and to the rest of the people, but for the most part it has nothing to do with who know or how rich your daddy is. I have known some people that live in the same neighborhood as I do who went to Princeton. And I can say for certain that the mean household income around here is probably $60-$120k. Most of the people here work for NASA or contractors for NASA. SO there aren't a whole too many people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved in an account. I also know there are quite a few people that are going to Rice.

The reason they make so much money is because companies and the military love to funds their research and many of their alumni contribute to the school. Mainly it is the NSM department you are attempting to apply into that receives the most money such as ElecEng, Chemistry, Physics, etc....

What's with you and the 'Mommy bit' all the time? But I think you missed the point, although yale and other schools are over-funded and could go on forever till they become the U.S. "Oxfords", my point was they use a test system that is "unreasonable" even to 'smart kids'.

C'mon, there are probably thousands of people who apply into Yale, whether it be undergraduate or graduate school that do not make it. The result is they can either hold out for next semester or move on to another school. Why is that you seem to choose neither of these but rather come on here to ATS and attempt to tell us that they are so stupid you could not get into the school? Honestly, pick yourself up and move on to the next school.

They are not over funded, these schools are given hundreds of billions of dollars a year to operate and conduct research because the research they do is very good. Companies and the military/government would not continue to fund them if it weren't that way.

Why do you think this test system was unreasonable? Was it void of any mathematic questions?

I couldn't get in to University Texas so now I go to a junior college. In a year I will apply to UTA. I am not the only one. I had a gpa of 3.00 from a rather good school. A friend of mine graduated at the same school with honors and a 4.00~ gpa, he has spent the past two years trying to get into UTA with no avail. I was talking to a friend of my dad's who said his daughter had a 3.9 and was unable to get into UTA. Really, you are not the only one out there who has tried and failed.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here's some advice for those in university or university-bound:

-Thank your lucky stars to be in university. It is an absolute privilege to be able to recieve and education while most of the world spend their lives running, trying to figure out how to survive one more day. No matter how tough college is, it is better than most things.

-Don't take it too seriously. In other words, just find out what you want to do, do it right, and you'll be fine. And for those university-bound, don't make too much of a deal out of what college you go to. It's all the same at its base and you'll find out soon enough, even by going to the college of your choice, that you're never gonna get even 10% of what you want in life. It's all what you make of it.

-When things go wrong in university, do what you must to get out of it, but don't ever complain or ever start blaming others. Unless it is truly their fault, everything is your responsibility. So don't go badmouthing your professors and whatnot, because its their policy and if you can't handle it, change classes or something or just deal. Its life and being in university doesn't change it.

-Make the best of it. Have fun. That's what I never did.

<< 1   >>

join