It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Child Killed When Southwest Jet Hits Cars at Midway Airport, Chicago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A Southwest Airlines 737 slid off the runway hitting two cars, killing a six-year-old boy. The jet, which began its flight in Baltimore, crashed through a fence during an intense snowstorm. The airport was closed following the accident.

abcnews.go.com
A Southwest Airlines flight from Baltimore to Chicago slid off a runway at Midway International Airport and onto a nearby street as it attempted to land amid heavy snow and wind, authorities said Thursday.

Although there were no immediate reports of injuries on the plane, at least one person was seriously hurt in a vehicle on the ground, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said.

The accident happened about 7:15 p.m. when Southwest Flight 1248 inbound from Baltimore slid off the runway, crashed through the airport's boundary fence and stopped on part of Central Avenue, according to the Federal Aviation Administration's regional office in Chicago.

"It got really bumpy, and then a big crashing sound," passenger Katie Duda told WMAQ-TV. The next thing she knew, the airplane was past the airport and on the street, Duda said.

Passengers used inflatable slides to exit the plane, she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This has now turned into a real tragedy with the announcement that a young boy lost his life. The NTSB will not be able to begin it's investigation until tomorrow, but it is certain many will question the wisdom of the plane's landing in such miserable conditions. The winter storm that now covers much of the country, including New Mexico, where I live, may have made the alternatives impossible.

[edit on 2005/12/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Anyone who has ever flown in or out of Midway can attest to how close the streets and buildings are to the ends of the runways.

It could have been a lot worse.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
According to MSNBC one child who was in a car was killed.

[edit on 12/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I was left seating a Lear 45 one time coming into 4 left at midway.

We were on long final and our right engine devoloped thrust problems.

We began to yaw and then pitched right quickly.

We got the plane corrected and down just fine, but we were so low that I am sure that people in the houses off the end of the runway could hear my heartbeat.

This is truly a tragedy, and my heart goes out to the family of the little boy that was killed, and to the people injured in the vehicle that went under the wing.

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
this is so sad.

Reports said the car had Christmas presents for the little one.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Investigators are suggesting that the plane's reverse thrusters didn't kick in immediately after they were deployed by the pilots and the crew confirms that, despite a smooth landing, they did not feel the normal sensation of deceleration. The pilots tried to stop the plane by applying the brakes manually. This was the first fatal crash of a Southwest plane in the airline's thirty-five year history.

ABCNews

new topics

top topics

join