It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Henry Ford never intended to use Gasoline!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hemp

Historical Fact. He knew the troubles it would cause.

[edit on 12/9/05 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Crap! I'm drilling an oil well right now. What to do, what to do. Oil is a hydrocarbon, it's not as toxic as eveyone thinks, now when you refine it that's a different story.
Interesting website non the less.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I don't his first name, but Diesel didn't originally intend for his diesel engine to use "diesel" gas either. It was originally intended to run on everything but gasoline derivites.

Peanut Oil was the first choice, & you can change your car or truck so it can run on peanut oil.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ahem Ahem... And I quote

"Henry Ford's first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the CAR ITSELF WAS CONSTRUCTED FROM HEMP! "

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHH

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
hmmm a car constructed from hemp... Has anyone seen where it went off too? I think it was last spotted in the 60's

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Do you mean Ford, the company with crappy cars and poor tech

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ford created it...Cheech and Chong perfected it!

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think the main reason hemp never came into broad use, (except for the THC), was because the tobacco planters wanted to be the ones making the money, so they lobbied the gov't to make it illegal... This was WAAAYYYY back when the nation was young...

No links to this as of yet because I don't remember where I heard it, but I'll try to dig something up after work tonight....

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
There it goes!

Who knew henry ford and cheech and chong had so much in common!

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Okay so I didn't really read the first link in the thread.... just checked that I had a different source.... but here you go...

Early fuels - Henry Ford

When Henry Ford told a New York Times reporter that ethyl alcohol was "the fuel of the future" in 1925, he was expressing an opinion that was widely shared in the automotive industry. "The fuel of the future is going to come from fruit like that sumach out by the road, or from apples, weeds, sawdust -- almost anything," he said. "There is fuel in every bit of vegetable matter that can be fermented. There's enough alcohol in one year's yield of an acre of potatoes to drive the machinery necessary to cultivate the fields for a hundred years."

Ford recognized the utility of the hemp plant. He constructed a car of resin stiffened hemp fiber, and even ran the car on ethanol made from hemp. Ford knew that hemp could produce vast economic resources if widely cultivated.

And one more...

Many bills proposing a National energy program that made use of Americas vast agricultural resources (for fuel production) were killed by smear campaigns launched by vested petroleum interests. One noteworthy claim put forth by petrol companies was that the U.S. government's plans "robbed taxpayers to make farmers rich".

Emphasis mine...

Now this wasn't exactly where I heard about the Hemp vs. Tobacco debate, but it helps to figure out why gasoline was used...

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
pump gas is cheaper alcohol is 15 a quart! thats 60 a gallon!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This sounds awesome. I cant believe that Ford intended on using Ethyl Alcohol on cars. VERY good idea, and what a smart man. Now if only the world could come to its senses and use this method. The reason I can think of as to why they wouldnt use this method is because of the $1$. Amazing though, great find. I cannot imagine why the United States and other countries wont take advantage of this GREAT oppurtunity. This has to be one of the greatest stories I have heard on AboveTopSecret.com.

Imagine a world, where putting gasoline in your car is something from the past, where growing fruit off of your tree is the fuel to power your world. Introducing Ethyl Alcohol automotivation. No more spills, safe, biodegradable, and better O-Zone. Prepare for the future.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by brodband
This sounds awesome. I cant believe that Ford intended on using Ethyl Alcohol on cars. VERY good idea, and what a smart man. Now if only the world could come to its senses and use this method. The reason I can think of as to why they wouldnt use this method is because of the $1$. Amazing though, great find. I cannot imagine why the United States and other countries wont take advantage of this GREAT oppurtunity. This has to be one of the greatest stories I have heard on AboveTopSecret.com.

Imagine a world, where putting gasoline in your car is something from the past, where growing fruit off of your tree is the fuel to power your world. Introducing Ethyl Alcohol automotivation. No more spills, safe, biodegradable, and better O-Zone. Prepare for the future.

Now....think like an economist, Using this "Ethyl Alcohol" will cause deman for oil to plumit causing a huge loss in profit. But with Ethyl where would all the profit be made from? eh.....

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i thought willie randy hearst had big influence on smashing hemp in favor of wood for paper ie REEFER MADNESS!!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Interesting how much people care more about their money than they do about the greater good of the world

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If you look for it on the pump where you get your gas (at least where I fill up) you might notice a sticker or other indication stating "this fuel contains XX% ethanol". Thus, typically 10% of the fuel in my tank is the good ol' grain alcohol. Mix that typical 10/100 with rainwater and you've got a cocktail that is free of the communist plot that is flouridation.

Obstensibly in my mind, the usual characters with a talent for the arcane art of business made up their minds long ago that it would be better to rig up a system which depends on the finite, but more dependable supply of texas tea than the whimsical products of agriculture, which at the earliest parts of the automotive age didn't seem very promising. Businesspeople are like water (as are all people), they follow the path of least resistance. Lucky for us they didn't find out about atomic fission until after IC engines were mainstream.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Why does the government have there hands in the farmers pockets? and constinly flying over the crops in the summer time [big bisiness and big oil!]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
According to one of my chemistry books, ethanol is actually used in some small vehicles in some countries. I'm not sure if it's ALL ethanol or just some ethanol as thoughtless was explaining about.

new topics

top topics

join