It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Deals Are Done To Extend Patriot Act

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Patriotism is the most prostituted word in the English language. It is and I feel so sorry for you Americans. Maybe, its time for you all to come back home to your respective homelands? Could you imagine it? Hundreds of thousands of folk queueing in airports to emigrate to the lands of your ancestors. It's no surrender. Like Rome before America, it was consumed by corruption, and fell. I hope that there is a way to salvage the idea of what made America great, but it looks very bleak right now.
Hell, come over to Scotland! We Need You! Our population is going down a wee bit, and we need some fresh talent!
So anyone in favour of leaving? Or will you all try to stick it out? Or will you have no choice but to bear your lack of rights?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I love the idea of all sorts of Americans lining up to go back to their ancestral homelands. Maybe we could even get political refugee status-- escaping government oppression don't y' know.

What an international photo-op that would be, hmm? American refugees, fleeing government oppression, carrying five suitcases each...

Personally, the problem would be that my heritage is mostly English, and they're pretty much already in line behind the US and maybe Australia to throw away their liberties in pursuit of illusory security, so that probably wouldn't accomplish much in the long run.

Still though... the idea makes me smile.

Seriously though, the eventual destruction of our way of life and collapse of our civilization is unavoidable. Virtually every civilization that's ever existed on this earth has collapsed, and for the same reason. Power and plenty leads to a mendacious, power-hungry and self involved ruling class and a diverted, dissipated, self-involved and powerless population. The strength that built the civilization is spent in either manipulating it for one's advantage or defending oneself against the manipulators. Sumer, Egypt, Athens, Rome... all of them fell the same way and for the same reasons. Civilizations are born, they live, and they die. That's just the way it goes. The only difference between different civilizations is how quickly they go through that process, and that largely depends on how much power and energy they accumulate and spend-- how fast they live, and the US has grown faster than any other civilization in history.

Still, even with the inevitability of the process, I hate to actually watch it happen, and I truly resent being caught in the middle of it.

And I honestly have been considering emigrating before it gets even worse......

<< 1   >>

join