It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Deals Are Done To Extend Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Deals have been reached by USA Congressional negotiators to renew and extend the patriot act which was due to expire on December the 31st this year. White House spokesman Scott McClellan has announced that the renewed Bill which is due to be voted on next week reauthorizes all provisions of the Patriot Act and makes 14 out of 16 of the provisions permanent Law. Democrats have condemmed the renewed Bill with leading Democrats saying the Congess should protect civil liberties and rewrite the act to accommodate that protection.

www.news.com.au
The White House lauded the Bill as an important step in safeguarding Americans against future acts of terror.

But opponents, including leading Democrats, said the four-year-old act had eroded civil liberties and complained that the new legislation would do more of the same.

Among the items they objected to, Democrats balked at provisions allowing law enforcement authorities to gain access to individuals' library records.

They also object to stepped up government surveillance of foreign nationals, even those suspected of no wrongdoing, via the use of "national security letters" - legal orders that allow officials to secretly access personal financial data, telephone records, correspondence and other personal information.

US Senator Ted Kennedy said the Bill fell far short of safeguarding Americans' basic rights.

"The entire country - really, the entire world - has been watching to see whether we can achieve the right balance

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Theres goes civil liberties for all Americans with the renewing of this Bill. If the War on Terrorism is real then it has won, striking that much fear into the hearts of people that they are prepared to give up their freedoms.

[edit on 8-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
thanks, ive been waiting for someone to post this up.

all i can say is i agree with you, they have won. things will keep deteriating till eventaully we will all see the effects on a daily basis. by then it will probably be too late to do much about it politically. just more bad news here

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
* has mild nervous breakdown*

They are doing it with the best intentions at heart.
"
"
Just keep saying this.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Now the real question is Who are "they"?

Some arab muslim extremists that gain nothing at all by these changes to US laws and taking away of liberties?

Yeah, right ...

If certain elements in politics, industry and enterprise aren't the cullprits in this war on terror, then they are sure as hell making frigin good use of the situation to change the US and the world into a crappy and creepy place for everyone but them.

[edit on 8/12/05 by thematrix]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well, I hate to say I told you so and I usually don't.

This is not good. The Patriot Act was an emergency measure. There is NO reason for it to made permanent - except to dismantle Americans' Constitutional rights and take out US democracy.

Tis a sad day indeed.

[edit on 8-12-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
well ive been expecting this since mid november when i first heard of it on the news, now its here, disappointing.

permanent? no need for this. taxation without representation. how people really want this inacted?

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
So this basically means that the terroists have won, they have succeeded in changing our country for the worse they have succeeded in taking away american citizens rights.

Touche Bin Laden touche, you have been able to accomplish in changing our society.

AT LEAST THATS WHAT THESE LAW MAKERS ARE SAYING IN THIS DECISION.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is really bad isn't it? Everybody's comments I have read in here are right on the money. Never thought that this constitutes a win for the terrorists and a big lose for the American people. I wish the media would portray it like this and stop this slide into god knows what. Good luck to all of us. We're gonna need it.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
We, the people of these United States, do not want our government to be able to declare who is a "Patriot" & who is not.

I'm sorry, I was taught the difference between "Patriotism" & "Blind Stupidity" & the American people seem to like having "blind stupidity" lead them, with their government holding their hands.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.....

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Well can they get any dumber? I mean they are acting like idiots! I am suprised the Constitution can't override it. Doesn't it say that you have to have a search warrant in the biil of rights? What can you expect from the_________

(insert political party here so you get banned and I don't, you know which party don't be stupid)

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
actually guys, its funny how this has just happened in USA and Australia in the exact same week, isn't it? Don't you think there's something fishy going on here?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Police state is coming. Isn't it? Don't see it? Go see in Miami those days...

When will the people of the US will understand and stand in front of those fascist laws?

Get ready to rumble in courts or in the extreme, in a revolution as we must do to honor the fathers of the constitution and all of those who died in World War 2 for democracy and freedom.

If we continue to let this happen, we failed to honor them. The next war for our generation will be a war against fascism and against our own government. If we don't fight, you know what will happen. We will be like in 1984. This is it. So prepare yourself.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Whilst I'm aware that it would probably have very little effect indeed I would still urge all US citizens to contact their Senator/Congressman to express their disgust at this bill.

Just a quick email or phone call or letter - if enough people did it, they would surely have to take some form of notice.

Too optimistic? Probably.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Who said we elect our leaders anymore?

We are told to believe that we do, at the same time the do what its in their best interest and for the power that motivates them and pays them to serve that power.

It has nothing to do with us the "People"

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
marg is right.

but its so disgraceful to watch americans vote. they vote for the lesser evil without even giving 3rd parties a notice. i wonder why they even bother to vote, "Ignorance is the greatest form of destruction"

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The 9/11 attack happened while I was driving to work. I wasn't listening to the radio, so I had no idea. When I got to work, the other employees were huddled around a radio, and somebody called me over and I listened to the reports.

I remember standing there then, frightened. I wasn't frightened about what the "terrorists" might do next-- I was frightened about what our government would do in response. I was certain, even then, that those who covet power above all else would use it as an excuse to take a huge step toward bringing about the police state that they've longed for for oh so long.

That's one time that I would've much rather been wrong than right, but, sadly, I was right.

There's no way to really express the sadness and bitterness that this makes me feel. Once upon a time, we had the greatest nation to have ever existed on this earth, and we allowed scheming, manipulative, power-hungry, mendacious scum to take it away from us. Hell-- we didn't just allow them-- we elected them, and at least the more shortsighted, self-involved and plainly ignorant among us actually ASKED them to do it.

It's all downhill from here. The liars and the cheats and the thieves have won, and every decent ordinary person who simply wants to live a peaceful life has lost.

The only slim, tiny, barely glinting hope that we have is that Congress will vote this bill down, but the powers-that-be long ago took control of who might or might not even run for Congress, and that control is not for nothing. Congress will pass this bill, because that's what they're meant to do. The Democrats will posture, but they won't stop it, because they honestly don't want to. They only want to get the Republicans out of office so that they can be the ones with control of this newly wrought power.

This is the blackest day of my entire lifetime in this country, and it's doubly sad that it will remain so only until the day this bill is actually passed. And I suspect that there will be many more days that much worse over time...

It's time for all of us to kiss America goodbye. It was a noble experiment, but that's over now. We escaped from tyranny only to create our own tyrants.

See you all in the gulag...

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Your right on the money with your way of thinking imho, except for one thing.

You clearly don't believe in the good intentions of politics anymore.
You clearly believe that this has been in the works for a long time.
You clearly believe that the people pushing this have power over the people (congress) that have to vote this to bill to law.

Yet you still believe that at the highest level there is actualy a difference between the republican and democrat agenda or a difference between the people controlling these party's?

The reason why Democrat and Republican party's are the 2 big party's with the 3rd party's not even getting a glimpse of attention is because these 2 main party's are run by the same people with the same agenda.

As long as people think they have a choise, they stay quiet, the moment its fully exposed that this voting is bullocks and that their choise for either party doesn't really matter because the same people are running the show, then you got a chance to change the nation to be like it was before.

Thing is, its way late to do any exposing and setting things right in politics.

The only way the US can become what it used to be and what it was founded to be is by the citizens waking up and stepping up and probably even taking up arms so they can take away the power of the politicians and start from scratch with the declaration of independence, the US Constitution (in its original form) and all new people.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yes, there is still a minor difference between the Republicans and the Democrats-- Republicans are members of the Republican party and Democrats are members of the Democratic party.

In the end, politicians are individuals. They don't get to the positions of power that they hold without the active support of the powers-that-be, but they don't hold those positions primarily to benefit the powers-that-be. They hold those positions to benefit themselves. They're constrained to some degree, but ultimately, for each politician, it's all about him/herself. They're beholden to the powers-that-be simply because that's the game that they must play in order to gain the power that they covet.

The majority party in Congress and the party of the president gain certain benefits, so it's to each party's interest to have a majority and/or hold the presidency. Yes, they still use those postions largely to do the work that they're expected to do, but that bit of advantage that they have when they're the majority and/or when they hold the presidency really is important to them.

It doesn't make much difference to us, which is the primary reason that Republican and Democrat partisans are fools, but it does make some difference to them.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Whether you're a Democrat or a Republican, support the war or not, this is a direct attack on the Constitution. .

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a [expletive deleted] piece of paper!”

I’ve talked to three people present for the meeting that day and they all confirm that the President of the United States called the Constitution “a [expletive deleted] piece of paper.”
Every federal official – including the President – who takes an oath of office swears to “uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Bush on the Constitution

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well if we can recalled very well he did say that a dictatorship was a good one as long as he was the dictator.

Or something along the lines I believe.

So what is the constitution but a BS piece of paper, Right? if you are in power I mean.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join