It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CEV vs Clipper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Which design do you like best?

some facts and rendering are coming out for the New Russian Spacecraft, and it looks quiet a bit like Nasa's CEV.

Both countries seem to want to split up the payload and people...which is a good idea.

Space.com has a good acticle on the Russian Clipper.
Russia's Next Spaceship

Russia's Clipper

Russia's Clipper Site

Heres an odd picture, It shows the Clipper docked, ready for its journey to Mars...or elsewhere.
I think this ones wierd because of its sheer size, and how does it move? I see no big rocket engines.....or are they planning solar sails?

Nasa's Site, on how we'll get back to the moon
That site shows some good high res pics of the CEV and rocket and moon lander.

A Rendering of the new CEV in action.

Please share your thoughts & questions regarding Both space agencies countries.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well I guess the russians will be competing with the Dream Chaser by Spacedev.

www.spacedev.com...

NASA blew this off a long time ago because of budgets concerns and lack of any defined mission goals. Glad someone wants to pick up the ball and actually run with it.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I wanna see a private sector solution as I think NASA should consider ALL options.

You seen this news Murc?

msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I wanna see a private sector solution as I think NASA should consider ALL options.

You seen this news Murc?

msnbc.msn.com...

No I hadn't...thanks 4 the link.

and I like that idea.

I really think with the private space sector growing as fast as it is, that Nasa's role should start to shrink. I really like Nasa's Centennial Challenges, where they throw out a concept and a pocket of cash, and the first one who completes it wins...thats a good strategy. But I wouldn't want all of Nasa to be that way, I want them to continue to build and send out probes to things in space, since a private company wont focus on gathering pics and info on some moon and then give all of what they learned away for nothing.....thats what I like about Nasa.

But when it comes to manned........they seem to be running around in circles. There current configuration of the people and cargo split and use existing rockets, keep the same people working for them, modify the External tank a bit, ect. It seems that its probably the most economical method....to just keep using your existing infastructure that you have built up over the years. But at the same time their stiffling a lot of innovations, and some more exotic methods of getting into space.

and I think that why I love the Space Elevator concept so much, because it could actually work, and will finally open up space in a way never previously possible.

new topics

top topics

join