It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Holiday Cards Flare Tempers (moved from ATSNN)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Obsidian, you may call me small-minded if you like, but you know what? A small-minded man would likely miss the irony of his Chris...er, Holiday card considering he is suppsed to be a Christian.
Now, let me help you out on your syntax a little. All denominations of Christianity worship Christ, not all religions. Since this is a Christian nation, there should be no reason for the word Christmas to be excluded in the Christmas cards from the White House.

Maybe its best that the charade not be continued, though. Maybe it is best this way.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
As some posters have said, this seems to me to be a big deal about nothing really. There are surely bigger things to worry about at the moment.

A FAR more important point that this thread has raised, in my opinion, is that some posters on here are receiving cards from the White House. I must say, I always did have my suspicions. How do you go about getting on Dubya's Holiday/Christmas Card list...services rendered I presume.

The moles have inadvertently exposed themselves with this one I think.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

How do you go about getting on Dubya's Holiday/Christmas Card list...services rendered I presume.

You presume correctly, if by "services" you mean money. Not to be overly solipsistic, Ms. Samphan, but one gets Christmas cards and other goodies from the White house if one has contributed money over the previous year to the political party which controls the White House.

The moles have inadvertently exposed themselves with this one I think.

Au contraire. People giving their money to either of the old parties may be foolish in the opinion of some of us, but they certainly are not moles.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
People giving their money to either of the old parties may be foolish in the opinion of some of us, but they certainly are not moles.

Poppycock! They are blatantly in the pocket of the dark overlord and have been despatched to ATS with the sole purpose of disseminating confusion and obfuscation.

I shall be scrutinising their activities forthwith.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I have NO idea what she just said; I can only hope she is on our side.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Thomas, she's on to us; we need to take action before she warns the rest. Say the word, and I can have a Boeing "chem-trail" plane on the way within the hour.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Obsidian, you may call me small-minded if you like, but you know what? A small-minded man would likely miss the irony of his Chris...er, Holiday card considering he is suppsed to be a Christian.
Now, let me help you out on your syntax a little. All denominations of Christianity worship Christ, not all religions. Since this is a Christian nation, there should be no reason for the word Christmas to be excluded in the Christmas cards from the White House.

Maybe its best that the charade not be continued, though. Maybe it is best this way.

TC, I never referred to anyone as "small-minded." Fact is, the US is a country where freedom of religion is one of the key freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution (important enough to place that freedom within the first amendement, along with the freedom of speech). The holiday of Christmas denotes exclusively the holiday celebrated by all denominations of Christians, and while there are many, and the majority of US citizens are of one of the Christian denominations, Christianity is not the exclusive religion in the US. In addition to Christians, we have Jews, Hindus, Buddists, various denominations of Paganism (such as Wiccans), and many others. We all are entitled to the same rights and same treatments, as outlined by the First Amendment. This being the case, why is it that the office of the President, the leader of this nation, should only send out Christmas cards, aimed at only one religion (including all of its denominations) within the US? I think that a "Happy Holidays" card is far more inclusive of all religions, and even of those that don't practice religion, but observe at least the gift-giving tradition this time of year.

Personally, I follow a non-denominational "pagan" form of spirituality, and I observe Yule at this time of year. I have NEVER seen a "Happy Yule" card in a Hallmark store (in fact, I've only ever seen them of pagan spiritualist websites and small shops of a similar interest). This doesn't make my belief system any less valid.

In fact, I find the notion of the office of the President, who is supposed to represent ALL Americans, sending out a card geared towards one particular religion offensive. I'd much prefer to see a Happy Holidays card sent from such a public office. A Happy Holidays card includes ALL Americans... not just Christians.

You have the freedom to observe your holiday, just as I have the freedom to observe mine. I hold you in no higher or lower regard for practicing your own beliefs, and respect that you have chosen your beliefs for yourself. This doesn't mean that I have to be innundated with a Christian holiday, when I don't even follow the Christian religion.

The position of President of the United States is a wholly secular position, and should be reflected as such with all materials issued by the office. A card stating "Merry Christmas" isn't very secular now, is it?

We all know that Bush himself really had little, if anything, to do with the wording on the Presidential holiday cards. I applaud whoever it was that made the decision to make non-denominational holiday cards that included ALL Americans, instead of just Christians.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join