It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British FB-23

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
Integurl

why haven`t they refurbd any aadvarks yet? they are needed NOW!!

You can't just refurbish (I assume you mean upgrade?) an aircraft in a couple of days, it would take a considerable length of time just to see what is feasible and what is not.

Then the design process before eventually getting the gear onto airframes.

It probably would take in excess of a year to do, even on a priority basis, probably longer infact, and as you said - if they are needed now, 12 months or more down the line isn't of much use.

Also, exactly what are they needed for now anyway?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316

Integurl

You can't just refurbish (I assume you mean upgrade?) an aircraft in a couple of days, it would take a considerable length of time just to see what is feasible and what is not.

Then the design process before eventually getting the gear onto airframes.

It probably would take in excess of a year to do, even on a priority basis, probably longer infact, and as you said - if they are needed now, 12 months or more down the line isn't of much use.

Also, exactly what are they needed for now anyway?

Refurbish doesn't mean upgrade, it means put into operational order, For example, if an Aardvark has been in combat for 3 years, was put in a garage for 5 years, and someone wants to put it into service, they will refurbish it, repair the wheel, clean it out, make any adjustments, anything required to return the aircraft to as close to it's original condition.(Refurbishing is done so old things work as if they were new)

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Refurbish doesn't mean upgrade, it means put into operational order, For example, if an Aardvark has been in combat for 3 years, was put in a garage for 5 years, and someone wants to put it into service, they will refurbish it, repair the wheel, clean it out, make any adjustments, anything required to return the aircraft to as close to it's original condition.(Refurbishing is done so old things work as if they were new)

Shattered OUT...

Fair enough

The word itself could go both ways, I wasn't sure of the meaning here - refurbishing = restoring in this case.

Just on the topic of F-111s, why would they go to the hassle of getting them back into the active fleet when the Navy is desperately trying to remove (in some respects) a very comparable machine - the F-14?

[edit on 22-12-2005 by kilcoo316]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Integurl

The last F-111 retired from the USAF was back in the late 90's and I think it was a tactical jamming unit. Supposedly it was retired to:
1. Consolidate airframes in order to simplify support structure
2. Release more money with which to acquire F-22's

Refurbish? I don't see it happening unfortunately. I'm assuming your are referring to the Aussie Air Force as far as needing refurb F-111's?

No , i mean all the airframes sitting in the boneyard , with cowls n covers , in a flyable condition - since they have far greater legs (before tanking) and much more suited to the role than the strike eagle or the hornet are - heck it was its job for many many years after all!!

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
they havent refurburnished them because we haven't needed them overly badly

edit:
Btw is that the FB-23 in your avitar or is it a cross between FB22/FB23???

[edit on 12/23/05 by TristanBW9456]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join