It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Oriskany: First USN Aircraft Carrier to be sunk as a reef THIS MONTH!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Interesting,
the fish will get a fine home...

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Interesting, all these aircraft carrier swappings and blowing-upings. cough.

Its amazing that so much work goes into these mini cities, and then, as soon as they outlive their usefulness, most of them are scrapped and/or blown up. Bit sad really. I'd buy one if I had the cash.

ps, has anyone noticed at the base of the original post there is an edit by someone that's not a moderator??

Originally posted by Browno

The USS Oriskany is an Essex class . . .

[edit on 5-12-2005 by Browno]

[edit on 6-12-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 6-5-2006 by Browno]

John bull 1 is just a member, but has been on the site since' 02. Does he have special privileges, or has he bet the system?

[edit on 21/5/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
John Bull 1 WAS a Super Moderator for awhile.l He may have gone BACK to being a member now but until recently he was a Super.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This is off-topic guys. And you, watch_the_rocks, have been a member since 2005/7/21. You should know that John bull 1 used to be a supermod. That edit was made back in December. Back to the topic.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Bluetilespook,

I believe that CV-???? was Bennington (CV20, I think). I was there from '86-'89 while on Nimitz. I used to enjoy walking down the piers and looking at the inactive ships. My first carrier was America, it still hurts to think of her sitting on the ocean floor. That's been a year now.

regards

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
JM -

Hmmm... I don't remember the Bennington being there when I was there. I do remember there was a 4th mothballed carrier, but can't for the life of me remember what it was anymore.

I used to like looking at the little minesweepers they had in storage, and got the opportunity to go aboard a couple of the subs that were being cut down. They also pulled the Missouri in for DECOM just before we left.

I was PCS'd to the Carl Vinson for an overhaul period, but rode TAD on Nimitz and Abe Lincoln to fill in for a couple guys that were on legal hold because of problems with their security clearances. Got a letter of commendation (LOC) written personally by RADM Quast from one ride.

I was a CTO3, and my office area was just across from the Captain's in-port cabin in the blue tile area on the O-3 level, hence the member name here of Blue Tile Spook.

The Lincoln was the cleanest carrier I was on since it was newer, but the Nimitz was the best run ship. The CO and XO were absolutely fabulous on there.

I got involuntarily extended for a year because of the first gulf war, so signed up for 4 years and did darn near 5 before they let me go. Out-processed at Treasure Island, California in 94.

Take care, shipmate!

JDub

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yeah, I wondered about the "blue tile".

I was an AK2 on Nimitz and loved Washington. Caught lots of salmon.

I also like those little 'sweepers and used to wonder how you could convert them into a civilian yacht!

Bennington was there when I was. Hornet got hauled off but I can't think of any other one. Maybe Shangri-La (CV-38)?

I think that Ranger and all of them arrived later but I don't know about them.

Nice talking to you, too Bro.

JM-haze gray but NOT underway!

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Here is a decent video of the Oriskany sinking

video.google.com...

There's also some really good hi res pics of it going down here

www.irishmansoftware.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join