It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by trocious1
Wow that sandal fossil blew my mind.. if it really is that old, then I'm guessing time travel must be possible and someone went back and was wearing sandals haha.

P.S. Do you think maybe that all of our theories will change? As we discover more we must adapt for things to make sense. So will there be a point where time doesn't even exist? Where people can just go back in time so that discoveries have no bearing?

[edit on 8-12-2005 by trocious1]

i dont know what the sandal fossil is ?.

as for the rest , we could get into a never eneding debate on time travel itself and it would never solve anything, it would be interesting but pointless to argue about it.

Do you think maybe that all of our theories will change --------------------------------- maybe not all , but some will surely change.

So will there be a point where time doesn't even exist?--------------------------- personally i think time will always exist " thats just my opion ".
even before the big bang - if thats what you beleive , time may have existed in a alternate universe "s" , and somehow our universe may have spawned off of one them .

I beleive that everything comes from something , but im at a loss to explain
how it all got started.

If you believe in God , then time started with God or before God wich would mean time started with him or - someone/something else before him ? And so on and so on , wich ultimatleyl leads to another interesting but pointless debate .

[edit on 8-12-2005 by Briggs]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briggs
www.dudeman.net...
[edit on 8-12-2005 by Briggs]

thanx i was lookin for a site that had those paintings... and u found it for me haaha.. as u can see...even artists from the past knew that UFO's existed and placed them in their artwork...

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Baghdad Battery? Can someone explain what that is/was?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Check out this website. It has all of these OOPARTS as well as many more
www.s8int.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Just rehashing a bit, but I wanted to know other's opinion on what they think should have been included on the list and what should have been off.

1. The Grooved Spheres
2. The Dropa Stones
3. The Ica Stones
4. The Antikythera Mechanism
5. The Baghdad Battery
6. The Coso Artifact
7. Ancient Model Aircraft
8. Giant Stone Balls from Costa Rica
9. Impossible Fossils (like the 300-600 million year old sandal footprint)
10. Out of Place Objects (metal cube in a lump of coal, etc)

Personally I would not have included the Ica Stones, whether it is unproven, the evidence so far suggests they are fake, until that cave can be found and surrounding rocks tested, I have to discount those as a real artifact. Stonehenge, the Easter Island monuments and a few more could have taken it's place on the list imo.

The Sandal footprint has always fascinated me, but the Baghdad battery would be one of the most intriguing ancient artifacts found in my opinion.
What did they miss in your opinion?

ken, the tile floor is an amazing find, I really had no idea. Of course ancient india technology should be on that list, the vedic texts themselves that describe the technology should be an artifact.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Baghdad Battery? Can someone explain what that is/was?

Next time say please.

The Baghdad Battery, is the name for a group of articfacts found in Khuyut Rabbou'a, Iraq in 1936. They didn't get a lot of attention till in 1940 Wilhelm König published a paper where he claimed they could be galvanic cells [1] and could have been used to place gold onto silver through the process of electrolysis, basically plating gold onto silver objects.

The artifacts, are roughly 5inch long clay jars with a copper cylinder, covering/protecting an iron rod insulated by asphalt plugs to keep it seperate from the copper. The interesting part is that the copper isn't water tight, so if filled with a liquid it would surround both metals.

You now get into the two arugements on it. Is it electrical or not?

König found several articfacts in Iraq, that were plated Gold showing that they did have the technology to plate things. Willard Gray made a copy of the battery and when filled with grape juice it worked and W. Jansen found that with vinegar it also worked.

The arguement against it, is that we are "looking" to make it electrical. We display what can happen, but there is no proof [written records] that this was its intended purpose and asphalt completely covers the copper cylinder, electrically insulating it so the battery they found wouldn't have worked. Couple this with the fact they used asphalt for a long term seal, it makes no sense for them to use a galvanic cell as it needs to be "topped up".

Hope that helps to give you a run down.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
1. The Grooved Spheres - Pointless
2. The Dropa Stones - No proof
3. The Ica Stones - Fake
4. The Antikythera Mechanism - Should be there
5. The Baghdad Battery - Should be there.
6. The Coso Artifact - No proof.
7. Ancient Model Aircraft - Fake
8. Giant Stone Balls from Costa Rica - Pointless
9. Impossible Fossils (like the 300-600 million year old sandal footprint) - Fake
10. Out of Place Objects (metal cube in a lump of coal, etc) - Pointless.

Just my take on those objects. [I can explain why to each one if you would like?]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
".....For this box contained some 32 gears, assembled into a mechanism that accurately reproduced the motion of the sun and the moon against the background of fixed stars, with a differential giving their relative position and hence the phases of the moon."
Link: www.math.sunysb.edu...
Includes a drawing...

[edit on 15-12-2005 by zappafan1]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Another member noted that the list is flawed, and perhaps we can come up with a better list. I agree.

Nothing on that list should remain.

I would put the Trilithon at Baalbek as #1 on the list.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Support the war against things related to the principles upon which America was founded; IE: religious freedom? Morality? It matters not that 80+% of Americans are Christian? I know.... off topic.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
I've seen a show on the giant stone balls; though they don't know what they were for, they proved that they were made by humans and were not perfectly spherical.

They would take stones eroded by the many rivers, and using simple chipping techniques with other rocks could shape them quite easily. They even found many unfinished and broken ones.

Last night I saw that show.

It is interesting that they found very nice round stone, which in my own opinion might be just another round rock they are trying to reproduce shaped by the river from the time it got in there.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Great find Nygdan, I wasn't around ATS back in 2002/2003 so I never got a chance to see that thread, and I had not heard of Baalbek before today, very very intruiging. From what I read on that page it appears as if this place may have had connections to well known ancient peoples, Ptolemy, Cleopatra, Plato, etc and considering its scale and grandeur, I'd say Baalbek was of great importance. Factor in the enormous unparreled size of these blocks and the extreme measures in which must have been required to place them and I think you indeed have a top 10 most puzzling ancient artifact.

I read in an even older thread about Baalbek, by Mad Scientist that these ruins may have been inhabited by the Nephilim or some similiar "giant" race, that in itself is tremendously interesting to me, If this is true and they did live in that area, then they very well might be your answer to this puzzling place.

I work with an older guy, prob 55 or so, he just came to the US about 2 years ago from Lebanon, I will mention this to him to see if he's ever been there or has any insight on the matter.

I found this site with some good pictures of the ruins...this place was truly something great at one time.
www.prophecy.worthyofpraise.org...

[edit on 12/16/2005 by JKersteJr]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by zappafan1
Support the war against things related to the principles upon which America was founded

Presents and a man in a red suit?

The founding generation, and the generation or two after them, didn't think that christmas was important enough to make a holiday out of it.

IE: religious freedom? Morality?

Christmas has nothign to do with religious freedom or morality.

It matters not that 80+% of Americans are Christian?

Thats right, it doesn't matter.

What do you think should be added to the list?

JKersteJr
he just came to the US about 2 years ago from Lebanon

That would be intersting, to hear what people from over there think of it, or if they are even familiar with it.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

3. The Ica Stones - Fake
9. Impossible Fossils (like the 300-600 million year old sandal footprint) - Fake

Just my take on those objects. [I can explain why to each one if you would like?]

Can you please post links to sites that provide evidence that ica stones are fake?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here are a few more links to sites with mysterious ancient findings, now I will be the first to say that some of these may be hoaxes but very strange indeed.

www.biblebelievers.org.au...
Page dealing with discoveries of footprints, skeletons, fossils, and tools of supposed "giant" races. (Including a 12 ft "fossilized" giant found in Ireland)

www.s8int.com...
Fairly detailed site dealing with Out of place Artifacts and Ancient High Technology.

mmmgroup.altervista.org...
Italian site, discussing among other things, a 120 ft tall almost 1200 ton obelisk in italy that was never raised because of cracks in the side.

[edit on 12/16/2005 by JKersteJr]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by vietifulJoe

3. The Ica Stones - Fake

Can you please post links to sites that provide evidence that ica stones are fake?

Thanks

Well, I don't know about what Odium has, but I posted this link on the previous page of this very thread:
www.forteantimes.com...
Maybe you missed it. That page has all the information I needed to make up my mind about the Ica Stones.
Here's some more:
www.catchpenny.org...
This site debunks one of the above "top ten" (Egyptian model airplane.) But depending on whose top ten you're reading, it debunks others as well.
www.antiquityofman.com...
If there was ever a web address that needs to be in everyones "favorites" file, the above website is it. A huge compendium of articles on pseudoscience. Extremely handy to have at hand. But I haven't seen the Ica Stones there. I haven't looked for them there either, though.

Harte

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
wow man thanx for those links they really cam in handy

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by vietifulJoe

3. The Ica Stones - Fake

Thanks

Of course I can my good man.

Source
Don Patton does well to point out why Bacilleo Achua would lie about creating fake artifacts, but he has not presented any evidence that this man actually did lie about creating fake artifacts. To the contrary, Don Patton concedes that Bacilleo Achua did create counterfeit artifacts:

"Even so, I suspect that he did manufacture some of the stones to sell to Dr. Cabrera and tourists shops. I made a purchased from such a shop a stone depicting a dinosaur, which some one carved. Dr. Cabrera acknowledged on the video that some carvings were recently produced but were easily distinguished from the originals."

Easily distinguished?

So why have they not done this? The fact is, these are fakes created by people and we have a guy going to prison in Peru over it at the present moment because what he did was illegal.

Even if a few of them are real, they are now so tainted until people can proove which are the fakes and which are not they have no basis in an intellectual debate as evidence.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I believe that there was an all out war which destroyed many things of civilisation and then created new things like the sphinx as they are as for praying and woreship.

there is prove enough that there was a nuclear explosion.
whos sais that atlantis was not destroyed by a wave of fire
a nuclear wave creating a verry big crater.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
I believe that there was an all out war which destroyed many things of civilisation and then created new things like the sphinx as they are as for praying and woreship.

there is prove enough that there was a nuclear explosion.
whos sais that atlantis was not destroyed by a wave of fire
a nuclear wave creating a verry big crater.

yes i think there was a great war also but not just on our planet but others as well... and i think its still going on today.... the universe is forever...no way to know everything going on

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join