It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
I believe our past is much better than "stupid ape evolving into intelligent man."

Troy

I agree whole heartedly, why are humans the only type of beast that evolved to such an intelligent species, nothing even comes close to rivaling us, that just seems a little strange to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
we may not be the only beast that has evolved 'intelligence' but we seem to be the only one that has combined this with advanced use of tools...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
[edit on 12/5/2005 by JKersteJr]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
there's two threads mixed up there imo
i) language: maybe dolphins/whales/insert prefered species here have evolved a complex language and social structure, and over millions of years have a philosophy and life meaning that equals or transcends ours.
ii) tool use: many species use tools specific to their needs - they lack the awareness to 'bodge' : to use tools which they had not previously considered for the same purpose or to use old tools to accomplish a new task.

we are the only species able to do both.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark ten
we may not be the only beast that has evolved 'intelligence' but we seem to be the only one that has combined this with advanced use of tools...

I would never assume that we were the only species that has developed intelligence, we all know that lots of animals, especially primates have similiar but lower level of intellect than our own. However the way I see it the gap between the two is just SO big.

I just find it very hard to believe that it took us almost million years to evolve from pure ape to Neanderthal, develop VERY basic communication skills and primitive tools.....and then all of the sudden there is a boom and we skyrocket from caveman to highly advanced in a mere few thousand years. Look at how much we have accomplished in the last century, just since 1900, its ridiculous, can we actually theorize that any other species had a shot at what we have now? Possibly, but not likely IMO.

Although the use of tools combined with our brain power has allowed us to accomplish many great feats, it's not the only aspect I consider, we as humans have a certain level of love, and imagination, just some sort of drive, we just seem so different from animals.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
as i said i don't belive that any other species has developed the need to improvise (or bodge, as my grandad would say).
we can only theorise as to the depth and meaning of dolphin society but they lack the opposed thumb - the ultimate aid to the tool builder.
other species with opposed thumbs?
- bonobos have supposedly advanced social grouping
- chimpanzees are tool users
but they don't really improvise like we do they only react

and as to the explosion of ideas over the last 10,000 years since the move from hunter gatherer to farmer? simple - the more food we have the easier it is to have an intelligentsia - a class whos sole purpose it is to think not produce food.

"love" is just a word
"imagination" is the key and that's what raises us up above other contemporary terrestrial mammals

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The pessimistic side of me thinks that there is so much unexplored earth that we wont have enough time or interest to possibly find something really big, some new discovery that could change everything.

Optimistically though, like I stated, look what we have accomplished over the past 1000 years, who knows what we can do in the future, we have the power, but is it in the right hands?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
we must have had help to get some of the technology we have today.... i think aliens could have most likely given us many advanced techniques and technology as well as the government studying the UFO wreckage to create tools based upon this technology... and as for us evolving...im sure that we have some alien DNA mixed in our genes...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Techonology, it keeps advancing, but the interesting thing is, UFOs have apparently been recorded far before the times we live in now. If so, that means advanced aircraft were flying around well before our recent "horse and buggy" days. Isn't that odd.

Troy

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Techonology, it keeps advancing, but the interesting thing is, UFOs have apparently been recorded far before the times we live in now. If so, that means advanced aircraft were flying around well before our recent "horse and buggy" days. Isn't that odd.

Troy

of course they have been around for centuries...

some of the paintings and artwork from the past depict some UFO's in the background...i wish i still had the link to show u some of the paintings

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
i know that the pictorial "how to" sex rocks are fake, but im still going to voice my gripe.

how do they date them? man picks up a stone that is a million years old. he carves out his picture, then discards the rock. 10 years later a scientist picks up the rock. is there any reason at all that testing wont say the rock is a million years old? and what type of idiot dates a rock and then says wow, rock is a million years old, so that means the picture on it is too? i mean correct me if im wrong, but is there anyway to date pictures like that?

thats why the weird fossil thing pissed me off, like how does anyone know that they didnt just carve it?

ok im done /rant

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
thats why the weird fossil thing pissed me off, like how does anyone know that they didnt just carve it?

i have no idea...this is all based on "hypothesis"... theres no real way of knowing how old they are unless u had a time machine

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
We have links somewhere here on ATS to ancient paintings and art work. I probably have some links in my favorites too.

I hope that we will continue to find clues to our past.

Troy

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
do u think u could post that link here cuz im really lazy and i wanna see if those paintings are the right ones that show the UFO's

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Since i have this list handy here goes...

Ancient Egyptians used helicopters and airplanes for battles? And since it's Pravda it MUST be the truth....

Ancient Egypt priest was killed with bullet? Short but ties in with other strange holes found on human and Animal skulls...

OOPARTS (out of place artifacts) I have not seen a more extensive list.....

Strange Artifacts More perspective and detail on some of the above mentioned artifacts..

There is more but this will keep anyone reading for a long time.
I obviously have no doubt that the technological history of this planet goes back tens of thousands of years at least....

Stellar

[edit on 8-12-2005 by StellarX]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
i know that the pictorial "how to" sex rocks are fake, but im still going to voice my gripe.

how do they date them? man picks up a stone that is a million years old. he carves out his picture, then discards the rock. 10 years later a scientist picks up the rock. is there any reason at all that testing wont say the rock is a million years old? and what type of idiot dates a rock and then says wow, rock is a million years old, so that means the picture on it is too? i mean correct me if im wrong, but is there anyway to date pictures like that?

ok im done /rant

When radiometric dating is not indicated, artifacts are usually dated by their context. This could include anything from the particular layer of the geologic column in which they are found, to the type and style of any pottery shards that might be found in the same area as the artifact in question.

If you refer to the Ica stones here, such carvings on small stones would absolutely have to be found in situ before they can be given any credence at all. Otherwise, there is just no reason to believe that they were not "just carved." Here's a good article on the Ica Stones, by the way:
www.forteantimes.com...

The three "impossible fossils mentioned at the linked-to site have been debunked or need no debunking. For example, the "human handprint" shown in the photo there is not human at all. Look closely at the shape of it. Then look at your own hand and tell me different.

The fossilized finger is not a finger, as shown by the x-ray. And besides, let's not forget that soft tissue does not fossilize, so the statement that "The side view shows dark areas that are interpreted as the interior parts of the bones and bone marrow. These areas have less density than the surrounding stones, and therefore more easily pass X-rays, causing darkening of the image" really makes no sense. They are saying that the flesh of the fingers has fossilized to a denser state than the bones inside. And when was the last time you saw fossilized flesh anyway?

The "fossil" footprint, which appears to show a seperate heel and sole impression, actually only looks "footprintish' when taken out of context. The site where this "fossil" was found is littered with similar formations, none of which resemble footprints. And the fact that " the heel is indented slightly more than the sole, as a human shoe print would be!" is all well and good, until one finds out that this ridge between the heel and sole extends several feet into the formation, and is not limited to the supposed "footprint."

Harte

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i didnt really want to reply , i was just curious about the topic .
but after reading the post , i would like to add my 2 cents for whats its worth.

strange objects and oddities and how long have we been here ?.
facsinating subjects that i love to research and discuss.
first before i forget - someone posted that tissue does not fossilize.
thats not true , dinosaur skin tissue has been found in England, Germany,
Mongolia and Arizona that has been fossilized . Even the internal organs wer fossilized .
Ufo's in paintings - www.dudeman.net...

www.bibleufo.com...

strange sites - the pyramids in Egypt of course , but also the Pyramids in
China , south and central America and India. And large Mound Structures that can be found in N.America , England and other parts of the world.

2) the large Heads on Easter island , peru , congo , Malyasia and many other places.
3)The Dersert glass in India that is radioactive, in india they beleive that
thousands of years ago , there was war that involved super technology.
4)the sunken city structures off the coast of japan , india , france.
5)Bimminey road off the coast of the bahammas.
6)something like 30 or more man made islands in the pacific.
7)egyptian artifacts found in Mississippi,alabama,arizona.
8)Suit of armour found in Alabama i think it was , that was dated to be older than 1000 yrs ?.

9)Cave wall paintings of Ufo's found in - off the coast of france in a underwater cave , a cave that was once above water.
the Aboriginees in australia have paintings of Ufo's and alien creatures? .

Numerous depictions of Ufo's and aliens in Egypt and south america.
numerous accounts of strange lights over the past few hundred years,
from ocean going vessels.

the Nazda drawings in the south american Desert . i think its nazda, something like that.

Stonehenge , crop circles and millions of other things to think about.
i could go on and on , but your better off doing the reasearch yourself.

oh and as for acient technology and hominoids being smart or intelligent
and getting to where we are now.
keep in mind that earth has been around about 4 billion years. keep in mind that is a estimate and not a exact number .

with that in mind , remember that earth has been through many, many
Minor and Major extinction periods .

Also keep in mind that only in the past 2 or 3 million years ape like creatures/hominoids about a dozen or so different species had evolved to walk and use tools , but all of them went extinct except for us.

So its not hard to imagine that maybe sometime in the past , Maybe , Just maybe there may have been other intelligent Creatures on this earth before us .

now im not saying they had laser beams and jets and such . but who knows how far they Could Have gone if they hadnt gone extinct.

also keep in mind that creatures that lived in the oceans millions/billions
of yrs ago , at one time or another Evolved to live on land , And then for what ever reason they evolved to living in the oceans again .

[edit on 8-12-2005 by Briggs]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I also remember reading about the whales and the dolphins living on land and then returning to the ocean, maybe they are the "most intelligent" creatures on the planet.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1jaguar
I also remember reading about the whales and the dolphins living on land and then returning to the ocean, maybe they are the "most intelligent" creatures on the planet.

hehe i dont know if they are jaguar .

but i think that there are so many facsinating mysteries in the world
that it would be ignorant of us to dismiss them off hand because we didnt understand them..

i dont know the answears to the mysteries , but i try to keep a open mind and put all the little pieces of the puzzle together.

first and foremost i dont always beleive what scientist say, because what they say is apt to change the next day or year .
i take into consideration the info i have and try to apply common sense to it
or does it make sense . sometimes your gut feeling knows more than your brain.

[edit on 8-12-2005 by Briggs]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Wow that sandal fossil blew my mind.. if it really is that old, then I'm guessing time travel must be possible and someone went back and was wearing sandals haha.

P.S. Do you think maybe that all of our theories will change? As we discover more we must adapt for things to make sense. So will there be a point where time doesn't even exist? Where people can just go back in time so that discoveries have no bearing?

[edit on 8-12-2005 by trocious1]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join