It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Top al-Qaeda Commander Killed in Pakistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Officials have confirmed that a top al-Qaeda leader, Hamza Rabia, was killed in an explosion in his Pakistan hideout on Thursday when missile fired at his compound detonated bomb making materials. Rabia was believed to have taken over the position formerly held by Abu Farraj al-Libbi before he was captured and turned over to U.S. custody. His remains were positively identified through DNA testing.

abcnews.go.com
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan Dec 3, 2005 — One of al-Qaida's top five leaders, a key associate of Ayman al-Zawahri, was tracked down with U.S. help and killed by Pakistani security forces in a rocket attack near the Afghan border, officials said Saturday.

Hamza Rabia, believed to have become al-Qaida's operational commander after the arrest of Abu Farraj al-Libbi in northwestern Pakistan in May, ranks somewhere between third and fifth in the terror network's hierarchy, officials said.

He was among five people who died in an explosion Thursday in the North Waziristan tribal area. Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said Rabia's remains were identified via a DNA test.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's good to see some progress being made in the hunt for these top al-Qaeda figures in Pakistan. Although someone will no doubt pop up to take Rabia's place, as these top leaders are killed, they tend to be replaced with less experienced people, making al-Qaeda a less effective terror organization.

[edit on 12/3/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Yes. Now MSNBC is reporting that it was a Predator UCAV missile that took this bad guy out.

Probably won't be long now before someone starts feeling sorry for this guy or posts something about the U.S. not fighting "fair" because we used high technology.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I wonder how long it is going to take out all their leaders?
Seems like we keep killing the number two or three man over and over and it is getting boring

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
How many top officials does Al Qeada have? Jeez! And he had taken the place of another one... and like you say, dj, another one will take his place...

And how in the world do we mamage to have DNA of all these guys? Too weird!

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
As normal, there are some reports which dispute some of the information provided here. There is quite a bit of confusing reports.

The Khaleej Times reports that while Musharraf says that there is a 200 percent chance that Abu Hamza Rabia is dead, Pakistan's Information Minister denied that Rabia was killed in the operation.

Apparently the reality is that the reports of his death are based on intercepted communications from al-Qaeda. Not the most reliable method for proof.

To add to the uncertianty, ABC news reports that, "Associates from outside Pakistan retrieved the bodies of Rabia and two other foreigners and buried them in an unknown location, the Dawn newspaper report said". This would make it difficult to verify identification and proof of death wouldn't you say?

Also there seems to be confusion about the type of attack. Some reports say that a UAV, or 2 UAV's fired rockets into the building, but local residents say that a helicopter did it.

Even more confusion lies in the statement that Rabia was al-Qaeda number 3 man running international ops, or if he was simply a high ranking leader of the Pakistan arm of al-Qaeda.
www.windsofchange.net...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
There are too many Al Qaeda members, if they all must perish then so be it.

Benevolent Heretic
How many top officials does Al Qeada have? Jeez! And he had taken the place of another one... and like you say, dj, another one will take his place...

Only if by "we" you mean your from Pakistan because:

Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said Rabia's remains were identified via a DNA test.

Nowhere does it say AMERICA ID'd the remains.

CNN has a quote saying it was an accidental explosion.

When asked by CNN if Rabia was killed in a missile strike, Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan said, "This death was the result of an accidental explosion."

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

Also there seems to be confusion about the type of attack. Some reports say that a UAV, or 2 UAV's fired rockets into the building, but local residents say that a helicopter did it.

That could be explained easily. Perhaps they used a UAV helicopter rather then a drone. because of thier hovering ability.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I wonder how long it is going to take out all their leaders?
Seems like we keep killing the number two or three man over and over and it is getting boring

Well at least it isn't our number 2 or 3 guy that is getting knocked off over and over. It's bad enough that the Iraqi troop casualties are still so high.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It is now being reported that the kill cannot be confirmed. There still seems to be a lot of confusion on this report.
(and political backpeddling)

US official says can't confirm top al Qaeda death

U.S. national security adviser Stephen Hadley said on Sunday he cannot confirm the death of Abu Hamza Rabia.

"There are conflicting reports as to what happened," he said. "But obviously, the details of these kinds of things are things that is best left for the Pakistanis to talk about."

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
And even more confusion now. And backpeddling

Pakistan: U.S. Involvement Denied In Death Of Al-Qaeda Commander

But the official story being told by Pakistan's Information Ministry today is that Rabia died in an explosion he caused himself while making bombs inside of a building. "That is the information that we have -- that probably it was an accidental explosion that resulted in his death," Pakistani armed forces spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan said.

A photograph has emerged from the village where Rabia died. It shows villagers holding up a piece of metal from a U.S. missile. But the authenticity of that photograph has not been confirmed. And while a close-up of the metal fragment shows English words, all identification numbers that could confirm the missile type have been scratched off.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Confusion reigns supreme. He he.

Is he really dead?
Did he blow himself up?
Was it a predator attack?
Did the U.S. help?

ABC NEWS: US missile parts at Pakistan al Qaeda target site

Aljazeera News: Confusion over al-Qaida 'death'

Aljazeera News: Al-Qaida denies Pakistan death claim

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
For one top official that is killer is two or three that will raise to the occasion.

This an ideology and its plenty of willing members to do the honors, even if it means been killed by US.

I guess lets wait for the next one.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Next! Front and center! Please state if you are the current number two or number three in charge.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Pakistani tribesmen on Sunday displayed parts of a U.S.-marked missile they said hit a house and killed two boys, a possible explanation for a blast there which the government says killed a top al Qaeda commander.

Reuters on Yahoo!News

Whatever the cause of the explosion, the death of Abu Hamza Rabia would be a coup for Pakistan and the United States which describe him as al Qaeda's chief of international operations.

Sat amid the ruins of his mud and concrete-walled home in the restive North Waziristan tribal agency, Haji Mohammad Siddiq told Reuters his 17-year-old son and an eight-year-old nephew were killed in a missile attack, but denied there were any militants present.

"We were sleeping when I heard two explosions in my guest room. When I went there I saw my son, Abdul Wasit, and my eight-year-old nephew, Noor Aziz, were dead,'' said the tribesman as he received condolences from relatives and neighbors.

A couple of Dead Kids were Top Al-Qaeda Commanders?

Yes Ofcourse.

Again the US tactics "When-They-Are-Dead-They-Are-Terrorists/Insurgents" has emerged, just like a thousand times before.

Who Belives the "Official Story" anyway, since its that SAME US officials who can not CONFIRM who they killed in the First Place!

New York Times

U.S. national security adviser Stephen Hadley said on Sunday he cannot confirm the death of Abu Hamza Rabia, a top al Qaeda operative in Pakistan.

"We've seen the reports out of Pakistan... We are not in a position at this point to publicly declare that he has been killed. If he has been killed, it's a very good development," Hadley said on CNN's "Late Edition," one of several Sunday talk shows that President George W. Bush's top security adviser appeared on to discuss U.S. policy in Iraq and the fight against al Qaeda.

"There are conflicting reports as to what happened," he said. "But obviously, the details of these kinds of things are things that is best left for the Pakistanis to talk about."

Intersting, no?

[edit on 6/12/05 by Souljah]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Tribesmen Say Children Were Killed, not Al-Qaeda

Did you really expect them to jump up and say, "Yes, we have been supporting al Qaeda here".

No, of course they deny any knowledge of them.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

You are so right. Everyone is a top official since this war commenced. What luck. What about Bin Laden?
Dont tell me, he's a shapeshifting reptilian who can camouflage himself and cannot be detected.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yeah, usually the Innocent has to pay for the mistake of the war on terror, but occurs the hype lasted long enough for our administration to have some good public opinion numbers in the polls.

Yes, Bin-landen has been long hone and picked up by the mother ship.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of marg6043's last post. Anyway, the last 'rumor' I read about bin laden is that he may have been killed in the latest earthquake in Pakistan. Seems as if the Earth, herself, is now after bin laden ...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yes bin laden is long death sure, I bet he is with Evils in Las Vegas, doing shows everyday on the hour.

[edit on 6-12-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Ra bia? I wonder if that is any good? Is that a dark beer or a light beer? Give me a break. They make up these people based on the names of dead people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join