It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA demands could make Houston break promise to 100,000 exiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

FEMA squeezes city over apartment leases

Unless federal policy changes soon, Houston will find itself in an embarrassing position three months from today — breaking a key promise made to hurricane evacuees in their most desperate hour.

Despite written statements to the contrary, the Federal Emergency Management Agency will cease honoring the 24,000 year-long leases, backed by the city, signed between hurricane evacuees and local apartment landlords.

As a result the city could fail to deliver on a promise made to nearly 100,000 storm-ravaged evacuees from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita — a safe roof over their heads for a year.

Landlords, who are accepting tenants without a security deposit or credit checks, would be left with scores of families unable to pay their rent.

more...

It's amazing to me how disinterested the MSM is in stories like this.... and how ethically CRIMINAL FEMA's behavior remains...and how short the public's memory is....

What a crock...

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This really sucks!

I wonder if it's the same people who are getting gypped out of their insurance coverage? Also covered by the feds BTW.

Katrina Victims Insurance Nightmare

This crud goes deeper than I ever thought it would.

mod edit: fixed link

[edit on 3-12-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
These people need to get a job and fend for themselves. The same problem is occurring here in Dallas. Both Dallas and Houston opened their city facilities to these evacuees and was promised by FEMA that they would be re-imburshed. This has not happened as promised. Then these people were seen in Best Buy, Wal Mart, and jewelers spending our hard earned money on diamonds and hd tv's. These people have lived on welfare all their lives and will continue to live on our penny until they are cut off.

I am sorry that their homes were destroyed by a natural disaster, but it is time to move on. The economy here in Texas is thriving. Anyone who WANTS a job can get a job. They have lived for free for 3 months now and they are getting more free time because of the bleeding hearts that think they are just trying to make a living.

The crime rates in Dallas and Houston have risen dramatically since the influx of the evacuees. Crimes are being commited by these people that would not be commited if they were not here. The school systems of both cities have had to hire extra officers to deal with the problem. Bottom line is that these people have worn out there welcomes in our cities.

new topics

join