It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto Police Stop Truck Carrying Missle Launchers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This is bizarre. A tractor-trailer carrying anti-aircraft missle launchers was stopped in Ontario by police. What is going on here?

Military Troop Carrier Seized

Police say the troop carriers were supposed to arrive in Montreal on Thursday. When they were spotted on Friday, the truck and its' armoured cargo were travelling in the opposite direction.

Police Stop Truck Carrying Missle Launchers

TORONTO (CP) - The army is looking into a bizarre incident in which a tractor-trailer loaded with anti-aircraft missile launchers was seen rolling down a major Ontario highway.

[edit on 2-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Possibly stealing it for black arms market maybe. Its like Lord of War movie.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
They were to be delivered to Montreal.

If some goon thought he could drive away with two tank size pieces of military hardware in daylight on busy roads and nobody would notice, he would be a moron.

It was probably due to a fight, the guy got there with the gear, was told off, and turned the truck around to make a statement.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
so are these shoulder launched missiles? if so, it bodes very badly for the flying public.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
those press reports are sorta hazy about the items.

one says truck loaded with anti-aircraft missles was stolen and then it says two tanks in the article.

the other article talks about the tanks and there's nary a mention of the missiles.

more pressing is the question "who knew Canada could fit all of their weapons on one truck?"

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
so are these shoulder launched missiles?

The trailer was carrying two armoured personnel carriers bearing Department of National Defence licence plates and loaded with anti-aircraft missile launchers.

Earlier reports said police believed a billing dispute may have been to blame for the delivery not being made. McLean says no dispute exists.

That would still be my guess.....

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
those press reports are sorta hazy about the items.

one says truck loaded with anti-aircraft missles was stolen and then it says two tanks in the article.

the other article talks about the tanks and there's nary a mention of the missiles.

more pressing is the question "who knew Canada could fit all of their weapons on one truck?"

HAR!

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
there goes my ebay winning item

hmm ... maybe those pesky canadians are growing a pair and are ready to revolutionize their government

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
How easy is it to tell the difference between some sort of SAM missile, and a bottle rocket. Aren't they both about the same size and shape? While some missiles employ sophisticated technology, what would prevent somone from using some sort of bottle rocket as a missile?

If someone was trying to shoot down the airplane, why did they give up so quickly? Were multiple 'missiles' fired, or was there only one?

I think that if there was malicious intent they could have three possible goals: 1) Shoot down that particular plane 2)Cause general terror by shooting down a plane 3)Interrupt airport operations. It appears that none of these three things happened.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well...there goes my hunting season. What was that guy thinking, driving it up to Montreal?

I know better now...next time I'll get one of those brown trucks to bring my gear. Bambi's gonna be safe around my camp this year.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by crontab
How easy is it to tell the difference between some sort of SAM missile, and a bottle rocket. Aren't they both about the same size and shape? While some missiles employ sophisticated technology, what would prevent somone from using some sort of bottle rocket as a missile?

well, my interpretation of a bottle rocket is one of those firecrackers on a stick that you stick in a bottle, light, and watch it go up 50 feet or so. thats only the size of maybe your lower arm.

If someone was trying to shoot down the airplane, why did they give up so quickly? Were multiple 'missiles' fired, or was there only one?

someone else can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm fairly certain that most shoulder launched sytems are disposable units with only one rocket in them.

I think that if there was malicious intent they could have three possible goals: 1) Shoot down that particular plane 2)Cause general terror by shooting down a plane 3)Interrupt airport operations. It appears that none of these three things happened.

probably only had the one missile.....i'll try to find the story, but in africa a couple of years ago, a similar incident happened to an israeli flight. they found the launcher fairly quickly with no sign of the perps.

i'm not saying that it was an actual attack. but again, i think after the training both pilots and controllers get in reference to this threat (fairly recently too, i might add), that a professional airline pilot would not report a missile if there was any doubt. you would not believe the paperwork and debrief involved with that kind of report.....your 3 hour flight turns into a twelve hour day. not the kind of thing to be taken lightly.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This was surplus equipment being delivered for storage. There were no live rounds or missiles with this delivery. All of it was a mix-up with a contracted company and driver. No, we weren't invading Quebec or looking to shoot down any airliners.

Toronto Star update;
The Driver will not be charged...It's found that he had no criminal intent.

Toronto Star story

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
No, we weren't invading Quebec or looking to shoot down any airliners.

i know its off topic, but just a quick thought:

why would anyone want to invade quebec? the feeling i get from most canadians i talk to is that canada would be a much nicer place to live without quebec. let em secede!

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Check this story out!

Pilot Reports 'Missile' Fired at Jetliner Near LAX

What a coincidence...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

why would anyone want to invade quebec? the feeling i get from most canadians i talk to is that canada would be a much nicer place to live without quebec. let em secede!

Interesting. I've always figured that the seccetion movement is funded and driven by US interests that can't wait to pick up Quebec Hydro for a song after the PQ destroy the entire country by breaking it up right in the middle. Straight up, if they try it, they will start a large civil war up here.. maybe thats what the tanks were for. Seperation will probablly never happen, they don't even have a plan for what to do after they leave.

hmm ... maybe those pesky canadians are growing a pair and are ready to revolutionize their government

This from an American? We just DID revolutionise our governement. Just threw the bastards out. Lets see you guys do that, so we don't have to come down there again and revolutionise you guys like we did in 1812.

-VMX

new topics

top topics

join