It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAX Missile Attack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There was a report about a possible attempted shoulder launched missile attack at LAX airport. So far it seems like they are pinning the events, as described in pilot testimonies, on flares or bottle rockets. It seems to me that those are drastically different devices and wouldn't necessarily account for the pilot seeing a "smoke trail pass by the cockpit." It is already well-documented that LAX is an attractive target for a MANPAD type attack. This plane happened to be over water when the event occured. It would be very easy for someone aboard a boat to get away with it. Frankly I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already. Stories to follow...

Feds probe SAM fired at airliner report
Incident Near Tinker Air Force Base
F act Sheet Issued on Shoulder-Fired Anti-Aircraft Missiles
Threat Report of Shoulder-Fired Missiles
LAX Beefs Up Anti-Missile Security (2004 story)

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Also keep in mind the altitude of the plane. I’m not positive, but I don’t think bottle rockets or flares have a ceiling limit of 4,000 feet. Does anyone know the altitude of the plane when this incident occurred?

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
yup, alot of discussion about it on ATSNN:

News

considering the amount of training on this subject that the FAA has been giving to airline crews and controllers alike, i think probably an airline captain would know the difference between a bottle rocket and a MANPAD.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Both of you bring up good points. To answer CogitoErgoSum1
's question, the jet had just taken off so it was probably under a few thousand feet. But anything over 1000 ft is probably out of range for a flare and definitely a bottle rocket. If the pilot did see something fly past the cockpit then there is some big time denial by the authorities, which really isn't surprising when you think about it.

Here is a related story:
Northrop unveils airliner defense system against missile attack

[edit on 12/3/2005 by CyberianHusky]

top topics

join