It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Risk of Eating Farmed Salmon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Yeah Zaph .. normally i would agree there but in this case if your Mercury levels are high already one piece of said fish can send them 30 percent higher into dangerous toxic levels. The fish we eat from the sea has extremely high levels of mercury and fish farmed can have umpteeen times those levels.

[edit on 3-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Yum, I have salmon every week. I live in Australia, so I don't think I would be at risk from it because its in Europe. Would they send food that far?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Flax seed is a good source of omega-3. I just grind some up and put it in my cereal each day. For those concerned about taste, you can hardly notice it. No mercury for me.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Why not just eat normally and healthily?

You're missing the point stumason. It's becoming increasingly harder and harder to eat a "normal" and "healthy" diet because of the contamination of our food and water.

To supplement your regular diet with a daily vitamin does not mean replacing the regular diet with the supplement...it's supplemental. So we are suggesting to take supplements in addition to a normal and healthy diet. Could you technically get all the nutrition you need from the foods that are available at groccery stores? Yes you could. What's your point exactly?

What about your lifestyle makes you feel the need to "suppliment" it with even more chemicals?

The knowledge of our contaminated food. Personal nutritional defenciencies. A highly active lifestyle (athleticism). I could go on and on here.

You say chemicals like it's a dirty word but that's exatly what you're getting whether it's from "normal" foods or supplements. The body needs it and in some cases the body needs abnormal amounts of it (athleticism for example).

Why do you feel the need to take "suppliments" and other garbage? Most of those things are artificial and probably do more harm than good (in fact, studies show that many vitamin supplements are bad for you).

Artificial? What do you mean exactly?

Instant red flag whenever I see the words "Studies show..." seriously there is studies showing both sides of the argument for just about anything. So yeah I'm sure you have read some studies that were in opposition to nutritional supplements but that is far outweighed by the studies that are encouraging supplement use.

I personally am a free range, organic eater so my "normal" diet is fairly "healthy" I hope, but I still take a multi-vitamin, calcium supplement and fish oil on a daily basis...as approved by my physician. I am a competitive martial artist and need extra nutrition to sustain my lifestyle. I feel the combination of regular food intake and supplements to be the most practical approach.

[edit on 073131p://7u57 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by stumason
Why not just eat normally and healthily?

You're missing the point stumason. It's becoming increasingly harder and harder to eat a "normal" and "healthy" diet because of the contamination of our food and water.

No kidding. People keep saying food tastes different than it used to - and it does. But industry funds studies to try and prove it's only our "perception" - or age related changes in taste buds. Nahh. Our food sucks.

Why do you feel the need to take "suppliments" and other garbage? Most of those things are artificial and probably do more harm than good (in fact, studies show that many vitamin supplements are bad for you).

Artificial? What do you mean exactly?

Instant red flag whenever I see the words "Studies show..." seriously there is studies showing both sides of the argument for just about anything. So yeah I'm sure you have read some studies that were in opposition to nutritional supplements but that is far outweighed by the studies that are encouraging supplement use.

Unfortunately, I think stumason is on the right track here. Vitamin sources count - and most commercial supplements are chemically derived. Chemically created vitamins are not as good, and more often are bad.

Also, the human body is turning out to be waayyy more complex than anybody thought - and you just can't count on direct cause-and-effect relationships. Very often, vitamin supplements do NOT do what we think they will - and actually cause more health problems. ...It's all about complex interractions, which are not yet understood.

To make matters worse - the drug industry is trying to take over the health supplements industry - and they're funding all kinds of crap studies to push their wares. Which is mainly why the studies supporting artificial supplement use outnumber the critical studies. But does not mean they're true.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Yeah Zaph .. normally i would agree there but in this case if your Mercury levels are high already one piece of said fish can send them 30 percent higher into dangerous toxic levels. The fish we eat from the sea has extremely high levels of mercury and fish farmed can have umpteeen times those levels.

[edit on 3-12-2005 by Mayet]

While there is mercury in all of the fish. Natual salmon is extremely low in mercury and one of the best fish to eat. The worst is shark and swordfish. The mercury levels make both of these fish extremely dangerous to the young and unborn.

My worries are much the same with these salmon farms. Foremost is the enclosement of the tanks. Salmon require a lot of dissolved oxygen in their water, so thier natural habitat generally filters out toxins to some degree but not in these farms (and I'm not stating farms in europe are worse than the NA or SA because factory farming of any kind has serious downsides).

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Most of the farms in Canada are open-net farms not enclosed tanks. I believe it is done much the same in Europe as it is far more expensive to raise salmon in a closed containment system. This causes plenty of other problems for the wild salmon with sea lice infestation and escapes.

In my province, the stupid government lets them build these farms right in the middle of salmon runs.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
More on the salmon eating front....

American warning for Norwegian salmon

Russia is not the only nation accusing Norwegian farmed salmon of being tainted, and American researchers have renewed warnings not to eat much of the fish.

The Journal of Nutrition has now recommended that consumption of Norwegian salmon be restricted to three meals a year, newspaper Dagsavisen reports.

The Journal renews focus on the levels of PCBs (Polychlorinated Biphenyls) and dioxins and warns that high intake can lead to a variety of health ills, including increased cancer risk and birth defects...

More...

Unbelievable! That includes smoked salmon, folks... Pay attention you East Coasters....

[edit on 4-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Singapore clears Norwegian farmed salmon as safe to eat. And The Norwegian Police Security Service warns against sabotage from militant environmentalists.

Singapore clears Norwegian salmon

Singapore health authorities concluded that fresh Norwegian farmed salmon is safe to eat, and Norway's Minister of Fisheries has promised to help solve the related squabble with Russia.

Singapore's veterinary and food authority concluded that Norwegian farmed salmon did not contain heavy metals and was safe for consumption

Salmon sabotage feared

The Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) has asked Norway's salmon industry to be vigilant to the threat of sabotage from militant environmentalists after several facilities have been damaged.

"We are examining (farmed fish) escapes and possible illegal acts at other farming facilities. We are keeping an open mind, also regarding eco-activists being responsible," said investigation leader Kenneth Nilsen at the Alta sheriff's office.

Police in Canada have a similar situation to solve, with three instances of sabotage at fish farming facilities on their east coast.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If Norwegian farmed fish are unsafe, I can just imagine how bad the Canadian stuff is. Norway has stricter laws than Canada.

Maybe that's why Stoltz, a Norwegian company, owns so many fish farms off the West Coast in Canada.

What colour would you like your salmon?

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Duzey]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join