It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another video from Hit, Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
lol. Yeah, why listen to the people who have been there when we have these arm chair quarterbacks to tell us how it really is in Iraq. Give me a break.

So... what are you saying? This video represents 'how it is in Iraq'? All over? What exactly are you saying? Have you been all over in Iraq? In the war zones, during the heavy fighting? In Fallujah? Have you searched people's houses? Is it always calm and congenial, like this video? If so, then why do we see 'the other side', with soldiers running in screaming, people crying? Are they making those up?

I'm not saying that these calm searches don't happen, but tell me, are these soldiers feeling threatened in any way? It just doesn't make sense to me that if there was a possible danger behind those doors that they'd be joking about MTV and holding their guns like bananas and looking around.

This is not a war zone. What are you really saying? That this happens sometimes? I have no doubt that that's true. But not in a war zone. Not where it's dangerous. That would be ridiculous and we'd have a lot more dead soldiers than we already do.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
[edit on 3-12-2005 by TheEXone]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

I'm pretty sure the guys blowing up car bombs in the middle of crowded streets are the ones responsible for most of the civilian casualties. As someone who has been there I know we take every precaution to avoid civilian casualties.

Well I would say recently the civilian casualties have been more on the side of the inssurgents

almost 8000 from january 2005 to june.

www.cnn.com...

But in the whole history of the war you have to look at who has had more firepower at their disposal. While the insurgents can employ a variety of IEDs, motars, and RPGs and certainly in alot of numbers, we have the backing of the full gammit of military hardware from at4s to 2,000lbs bombs dropped by f-16s.

www.washingtonpost.com...

While im sure you and your unit took as much precaution as possible to avoid unessesary deaths, you also must have had to operate under force protection guidelines that dictate a strong response to threats. The disperportionate distribution of power between the U.S forces and the insurgency creates a situation that will cause more damage when we strike back than when they hit us.

Now perhaps in your situation things were not as hectic, it would be very informative if you could describe where you operated and what kind of experiences you had both good and bad.

Im in the Guard, and before my time is up I know I will deploy. Perhaps my idea of iraq will change when Im there. However, What im describing now does not come from being an "arm chair general" it comes from everything that I have discussed with people from my unit who were in Ramadi from may 2003 to March 2004. They are not accounts of bloodthirsty soldiers or even careless and reckless ones, but rather of professional and diciplined people who were put in a bad situation with little information, and unclear rules and guidelines.

I look forward to knowing your story,

Thanks

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEXone
Now perhaps in your situation things were not as hectic, it would be very informative if you could describe where you operated and what kind of experiences you had both good and bad.
I look forward to knowing your story,

Thanks

Thank you for so diplomatically saying (asking) what I clumsily stumbled all over.

I would very much like to hear the experiences that Dronetek bases his/her judgements on.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join