It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would make the ultimate first person shooter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
There are hundreds of bad FPS out there. And only a few dozen that are truly great.

If you were going to develop a FPS what things would you include? How would you avoid repeating the same old same old? Weapon ideas? Game play ideas?

What kind of things would make your ultimate shooter?

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Are you in game design?

Stuck for a few ideas?

Here is your Game!!!!

I will call it "Ultimate Game"

6 player coperative play or system link
124 multipayer

must include the following weapons:

Knife, Axe, Chain Saw, Super NailGun, Pulse Rifle with grenade launcher, Concussion Blaster, Flame Thower, Disintergrator, razor web launcher, Thermobaric Dart Gun, Seriphym Gatling System , Old Painless, Big Daddy, BFG,MOG and my personal favorite the Special Ice Cube System.

don't forget to mention the little red button on the side...the special option.

The Bad Guys:

Level One:

Must be either Mutated,Zombified, or Steroided MeanMutha o God Space Marines.

Level Two:

Half Naked Dream Goddesses who are doing their darnedest, trying to hack you to bits with whatever tools you can equip them with etc (No Drills)

By the way whilst on this level you see a strange man in a suit walk through a doorway, you think nothing of it.

Level Three:

Midget Clowns armed uzi's, they laugh maniacally and through jack'n'the'box grenades at you (whatever)

Level Four:

Lawyers and Politicians, armed with Umbrella and suit cases.
In this level you get to storm their offices matric style.

Level Five:

Robots hurling repetitive robotic comments, liquid nitrogen blasts and electrical one liners.

Level Six:

More Mutated characters except this time their Ninjas

Level Seven:

At least 2000 Elite Eskimo Comandos. They have had a beef with the United States for many years.

Level Eight:

You walk out of a building onto a New York Street filled with Hundreds of Taxi Cabs.

Immediately the drivers approximately 250 of them, apparently irate at you over something step out of their vehicles brandishing handguns and newspapers:

Level Nine:

Sheep Level

Level Ten:

You enter a time machine:

That takes you back to the Start of the game and you have to redo everything except it's on "NightMare Level"

Final Level:

Boss Level.

I gigantic Flying Robot, with all of the above weaponry and maniacal laughter.

Did I mention Blood, lots of blood..

and bits of bone...and brain... and brain matter....

and some hair

(You mean like this kind of game)

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Just wondering what people like. What people are tired of and what people want to see.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Until a new type of interface and control system comes along, there really won't be anything new. It's all pretty much refinements of the same old tired Doom model. Not that I didn't love FPSs. The original Quake changed my career (carpentry to computers) and as a result, my life. (Thank-you Id software!)

But, there is only so much you can do with a flat screen and finger-only controls.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
its not so much about the graphic quality or the weapons or the enemies anymore, its more about the narrative of the game. The whole idea of going from point A to B got old some time ago, what we need is a change in how the storyline develops and the choices the player can make, that change the environment and the further development of the game.

Its a pretty though cookie, especially becouse new ideas rarely get the financial backing in the gaming company, whos only goal is profit, so making medal of honour XXVI is more desirable than something that has not been tried before.

I got a couple of ideas, but im not telling....i just might make a whole new gamestyle. Screw the 100 hours of gameplay, i just aint got the time to waste, in my opinion, that is just more and more of the same.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Thats fine if you just want a great game for an afternoons entertainment, but when I am spending $99 a game for a new release game I am looking for more then that.

I like the 100hr games providing there is character and/or environmental development.

Not sure if environmental is the right word for it , so change that to world development.

I agree if it's just you running around doing the same thing over and over, that get's old quickly.

One of the main features that is left out now that is so good is co-operative play.

[edit on 2-12-2005 by Grimholt]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
A gun that takes the enemies skeleton and moves it a metre to the side of the enemy

And co-op gameplay with decent Multiplayer

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternate
There are hundreds of bad FPS out there. And only a few dozen that are truly great.

What kind of things would make your ultimate shooter?

Halo 3, please.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
First thing that comes to mind and is rare is what is called Geo-Mod (from the Red Faction series) which let you blast holes everywhere making battles with rocket laucnhers very intresting as you chipped away at walls and walkways. A FPS with this kind of technology has one up on the others with standard event-triggered level alterations which are nowhere near as interesting.

Another very experimental idea is that of not requiring a traditional controler but reading ones thoughts basically to control the character copuled with the ability to make the character move in any way you desire instead of the usual jump/duck/run/walk/strafe/look stuff. I remember reading a while back that BT (Brian Transeau) was experimenting with ways to take brain input to control MIDI devices, so the ideas is already out there and being played with, just a matter of time before it becomes part of gaming.

Perhaps my most frequent complaint with FPS games is poor audio work. From footsteps to gunfire and bullet casings dropping the sound in most all FPSes tends to be seriously lacking. When you have an unsupressed weapon the sound should be deafening in hallways, echoed in open areas, and when you snap on the silencer you should only hear a zip and the loud clack-clack of the bolt of the weapon cycling. That coupled with good environmental sounds and a fitting and moving soundtrack would do wornders for most FPSes.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Like the above poster mentioned, destructible environments. Everything should be able to take damage.

Better physics for everything.

More realistic body damage. Soldier of Fortune 2 had half decent hit zones. Still unreal, but better than the standard.

Stay away from WW2 games. Its been done !

Animations for characters getting into vehicles etc. Something most games could use.

More realistic animations for bad guys. Say, bad guys smoking a cigarette when not busy. Soldiers tripping and falling over. Guns jamming (for you and bad guy)

More realistic gun reloading times. Again, as above poster mentioned, better audio.

F.E.A.R. has pretty good audio.

I want a game to thrill like a movie, and not repeat every 2 minutes.

top topics

join