It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men's And Women's Brains Really Do Work Differently (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I have always had a hard time communicating about some things with women--especially things involving motor skills and physical activity. More often than not efforts by a husband to teach his wife to drive, or play golf, or do something requiring detailed explanations of physical actions goes badly. I have often thought--and have certainly read often enough--that men and women don't think alike. Now, finally, there is credible proof that we really don't.

www.physorg.com
The comedians are right. The science proves it. A man's brain and a woman's brain really do work differently. New research from the University of Alberta shows that men and women utilize different parts of their brains while they perform the same tasks. The results of the research are reported this month in the journal NeuroImage.

"It is widely recognized that there are differences between males and females, but finding that different regions of the brain are activated in men and women in response to the same task has large potential implications for a variety of different clinical situations," said Dr. Peter Silverstone, a psychiatrist at the U of A and an author of the study.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Throughout the history of psychology men and women have almost always been treated the same. If you have depression, do this (or take that); if you have a phobia about dense traffic or crowds of people, then do such & such. Now, at long last, women can start to get treatments tailored for women. Hopefully, this new understanding can also prevent a few arguments and/or divorces in the future.

Past studies have shown that women do better at multi-tasking than men do--men tend to be serial thinkers. As time progresses, I wonder what else will be discovered about our mental differences?

[edit on 2-12-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Hehe, nothing like some good old fashioned verification of Stuff Everyone Already Knows. I used to live near the University of Alberta campus as a kid. They had cows with big transparent frisbees on their sides at the time. Dunno what they were doing. I digress.

Zip

new topics

join