It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America accepted as the greatest nation on earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It is expected that any president of the United States to proclaim it's country as a shining example to the rest of the world and the greatest nation of all. I am certain that if you were to poll the majority of Americans and people wishing to immigrate there, that this view would be widely shared. However, how many others outside of this "great nation" believe this? From those coming from cultures much different from the wests- to America's allies. Does Tony Blair believe America to be the greatest nation on earth? Does the Queen of England? What about the Pope? I'd be interested to see what the views of those OUTSIDE of the US is.

The reason why i want people outside of the US answering and not within, is because i believe if a nation is strong enough, it should be able to stand up to worldwide criticism/praise!

Taking this into account, whatever the conclusion we gather from the rest of the world, will it affect the general opinion on the ongoing war on terror? If the world do not hold another country up in high acclaim, should that country be able to assume such a moral high ground over the rest of the world - and vice versa?

I am from the UK myself, and i will be the first to say i do not believe america to be the greatest nation on earth. Thus, I don't believe they have the moral high ground that is required to lead the world in irradicating what they have termed "terrorism".

[edit on 1-12-2005 by paranoia]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm from the U.S. and I would feel compelled to answer that it was at one time; however, whether or not it is currently is something I can't truthfully answer--I just don't know any more.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
No, the US is the most damned and hated nation on the face of this Earth.

The UK is the greatest nation...
Perhaps thats why millions of people continue to immigrate or seek to immigrate to the US each year.

*perplexingly scratches the back his head*
*shrugs*

seekerof

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I used to think America was the greatest, I dreamed all my young life of living there as an adult, to marry and raise my chidren there and live happily ever after.

I no longer want to bear children so that should answer your question about my feelings about America also

She is now nearing the bottom of the list because it's just not making any sense to want to live there anymore. Look at what they are doing to their own citizens! They are doing it to us here in Australia also, slowly but surely we will be stripped of our freedoms.

Although she has potential to be great again, once this administration is dead and buried, God willing that day happens soon because they are the reason why so many don't see America as so wonderful anymore.

I do not apply this opinion to the people, please understand this. I love the culture of America, the people are great! the government is not

Honestly, my feelings towards America only changed in the last 4 years or so.

And please believe alot of people I know feel as I do about America now also. It's awful.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Every nation is the greatest nation, simply depends where your from. American is the greatest only to Americans.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

I do not apply this opinion to the people, please understand this. I love the culture of America, the people are great! the government is not

Honestly, my feelings towards America only changed in the last 4 years or so.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by ImJaded]

Seems kind of short sided. The United States has had 42 presidents since George Washington. There have been a few good men but many bad. Don't change your opinion because of one 4 year period. The United States had been around for 230 years and you base your opinion about the country because of 1.7% of those 230 years. I suggest you start researching a bit of history. Bush is not the best president but he is far from the worse. I don't like him but that is the truth.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
Every nation is the greatest nation, simply depends where your from. American is the greatest only to Americans.

EXACTLY!!!!
Greatest is totally relative.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
No America is not the greatest nation.

I am Canadian, and we tend to think the same thing "Canada Rules!!".Tthis might be true in Hockey - but one day I realised that it's the people, that make something, or someplace great. It has nothing to do with what flag flies over you.

America, the UK and Canada are all just masses of land with invisible borders that divide them from each other and the rest of the world. There are different laws and different television shows, but we all have the same thing in common. We are people - we share this planet together. It's the divisiveness of so called "Nations" that's breaking it all apart. By thinking one place is "greater" then another seems to only perpetuate this problem.

So to answer the question: NO!

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It may also depend one how you define "greatness".

top topics

join