It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Clash of the Titans in Greek mythology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Have you ever seen the movie "Clash of the Titans"?

It told one tale of Greek mythology. Where Perseus rescues Andromeda from the hands of the Cracken. Zeus made love to a mortal woman and Perseus was born from that union. Perseus had to rescue Andromeda from the curse of Kalibos in which he did, but Athena was mad because Kalibos was her son and demanded revenge. Athena told the inhabitants of the city that their coastal land would be destroyed by the Cracken if they did not sacrifice Andromeda to it. Perseus had a mission to rescue ihs new maiden and only one thing could stop it. Zeus helped Perseus but he could not stop the Cracken. The one thing he had to do was to get the head of Medusa. Medusa's stare would turn a man to stone, even if her head was cut off. The idea was to have the Cracken caught in the stare of the Medusa head. The movie writers had one character make mention of the relationship between Medusa and the Cracken. The person said, "A Titan against a Titan", in which Medusa (a Titan) attacks the Cracken (another Titan). With all this said I think the movie writers were wrong or I just don't understand their view point regarding the Titans of Greek mythology. Medusa was one of the Gorgons, and she was once a beautiful woman but she compared her beauty as being greater than Athena's and Athena changed her into a snake woman. The Cracken is just mentioned as a sea monster and is no specific god.
The movie had nothing to do with the real issue of the Titans of Greek mythology.

Who were the Titans and what happend to them? What could the fable possibly mean?

Gaea (earth) gave birth to Uranus (heaven) and they together had offspring which were called the childeren of Earth and Heaven. These have also been called the Elder gods and another name for them is the Titans. There were twelve of them. Some of them are named as follows:

(males)
Cronos (Saturn)
Oceanus
Hyperion
Ophion
Iapetus

(females)
Rhea
Themis
Mnemosyne
Eurynome

Uranus, the father was removed from the scene by some of the Titans and they began to rule the earth. Ophion (serpent) and Eurynome took the first rulership of Olympus for some ages before Cronos and Rhea dethroned them.

The theory will continue later. I must depart...

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
yO thats madd cool that you started this post...i have a few things to add if i may...

URANUS was also call ANU,by the sumerians,notice how the greeks added the UR, S to make UR-anu-S,Ur is also the homeland of the biblical abraham..

GAEA was the mother of the gods,she was know as mother GAEA,or MOTHER EArth gaEA-EA-RTH..yes thats were we get the term mother earth

Apollos,chariot was the ancient description of a ufo????

Mount Olympus IS THE BIBLICAL MOUNT ZION????

the titans were ALSO know as the Annunaki

they were tall,muscular,and handsome/pretty,they liked gold alot???

Zues thunderbolts were the ancient descriptions for missles flying through the air????

the titans are the biblical fallen angels/giants/nephlim/anak.. who roamed the earth before and after the flood???

the titans taught man,how to use and create weapons,art,music,astronomy,etc...just like the biblical fallen angels/giants did

apollo was the god of light,basically meaning he existed in another dimension,higher then the 3rd,which made him appear as light,also another ancient description.

the titans come from the planet nibiru,also know as planet x or heaven

THE RULER OF PLANET X IS URANUS!...the one god of christanity is uranus,but people dont know that...

is planet x returning??????is jesus returning..YES THEY ARE!

jesus was a hybrib,messenger of the greek gods,hence the name jesus/zues...he was born during the time of the greeks,his mission was to awaken the light/positive/love side of our souls MORE than it was,before he was born, the earth was ruled in darkness,souls were darker,more negative,lower chackras????

the biblical gods created EARTH humans in there image,greek myths say the gods could make us from dust,doesnt that sound familar..adam and eve...huh?

ok thats enuff for now..peace

[edit on 1-12-2005 by FarFromDanK]

[edit on 1-12-2005 by FarFromDanK]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I personaly think all of the mythological gods from all cultures decened from sumerian culture, simply because it was the earliest civilization to exist to our knowledge. Also all other mythological gods have similar characteristics to sumerian gods, some may be more significant than others but if you read inbetween the lines enough you will see they are all talking about the same thing/people.
But hey untill around 150 years ago we didnt know assyria, or sumeria even existed, so whos to say we wont find a older civilization somewhere that are even older and are the real root for all religion? Who knows.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
URANUS was also call ANU,by the sumerians,notice how the greeks added the UR, S to make UR-anu-S,Ur is also the homeland of the biblical abraham..

GAEA was the mother of the gods,she was know as mother GAEA,or MOTHER EArth gaEA-EA-RTH..yes thats were we get the term mother earth

Mount Olympus IS THE BIBLICAL MOUNT ZION????

they were tall,muscular,and handsome/pretty,they liked gold alot???

Zues thunderbolts were the ancient descriptions for missles flying through the air????

the titans are the biblical fallen angels/giants/nephlim/anak.. who roamed the earth before and after the flood???

the titans taught man,how to use and create weapons,art,music,astronomy,etc...just like the biblical fallen angels/giants did

apollo was the god of light,basically meaning he existed in another dimension,higher then the 3rd,which made him appear as light,also another ancient description.

the titans come from the planet nibiru,also know as planet x or heaven

THE RULER OF PLANET X IS URANUS!...the one god of christanity is uranus,but people dont know that...

jesus was a hybrib,messenger of the greek gods,hence the name jesus/zues...he was born during the time of the greeks,his mission was to awaken the light/positive/love side of our souls MORE than it was,before he was born, the earth was ruled in darkness,souls were darker,more negative,lower chackras????

the biblical gods created EARTH humans in there image,greek myths say the gods could make us from dust,doesnt that sound familar..adam and eve...huh?

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Before I continue I give thanks to FarFromDank for showing the connection between the name Uranus and Anu of the Annunaki. I somewhat already knew of the connection to Gaea and the name Earth. Some of what you said I believe. Most of the information I'm sharing is common knowledge but some other things are completely different. I don't want to give away some of my fire in responding to some of those interesting remarks. I will discuss after a bit.

...continued. Last place I left off.

Cronos and Rhea take the throne from Ophion and Eurynome to rule Olympus.

Now these Titans had powers over certain elements or abilites:

Oceanus ruled over the waters.
Hyperion ruled over the sun, moon and dawn.
Ophion first ruled over Olympus and possibly is associated with the serpent
Cronos ruled Olympus second and is associated with time (Cronus) and the Golden Age.
Iapetus was father to Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus and Menoetius. The poet Miltion refers to him as Japhet in "Paradise Lost":

"More lovely than Pandora, whom the gods
Endowed with all their gifts; and O, too like
In sad event, when to the unwiser son
Of Japhet brought by Hermes, she insnared
Mankind with her fair looks, to be avenged
On him who had stole Jove's authentic fire."

Rhea was wife of Cronus and became associated with the Asiatic Cybele.
Themis was a titaness who was the personification and goddess of justice and law.
Mnemosyne was the goddess of memory and eventually was wife to Zeus who produced the nine muses.
Eurynome was the wife of Ophion. The poet Milton refers to her in "Paradise Lost":

"And fabled how the serpent, whom they called
Ophion, with Eurynome, (the wide-
Encroaching Eve perhaps,) had first the rule
Of high Olympus, thence by Saturn driven."

Need to end right now. There's more...

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
LOSTINSPACE,thanks for your comments,ive done a good amount of research on the greek gods,and the annunaki,they have aalot of things in common,becuase they were the same people/aliens..but they were recorded in different times in history so some of there stories/myths have changed..ok i have alittle bit more to add...

Enki was believed to live in underwater kingdom,posidon also lived underwater,could they be the same person?????

oceanus gave birth to the water nymphs/mermaids..and mermen,the biblical DOGON was a half man half fish god who was worshipped by the phillistines?????

prometheus taught man how to use fire...was he a fallen angel giant..yes he was!

the TItans
are the ANNUNAKI

the annuanki live on PLANET X/NIBIRU

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The Egyptian, Greek, and Roman pantheons (and I think Hindu) are all based on the religion founded by Nimrod and Semiramis shortly after the Flood. It was Semiramis who came up with the idea of the confessional, which was used for blackmail purposes, and so she could snoop on her followers.

This is a subject I've been reading a LOT about. I have a copy of Alexander Hislop's "The Two Babylons," where he demonstrates how, in turn, Catholicism is based on that same religion. That is a good book to read, and it was written in the mid-19th century.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I rather like the idea that the Titans represent the older, shamanistic culture (pre-civlized, pre-citied) and that the olympic gods represent the newer culture that set up the hieratic cities. THis is apparently a theme that can be found in many ancient mythologies, presumably because the same situation occured for everyone (moving from nomads to city-dwellers). So there's this motif where the newer god(s) have to defeat, either in a battle/war or just a few individuals tricking another, the older gods.

The word Titan, so I've heard, is also supposed to by etymologically derived from the word tit, which here means 'earth' or 'dirt/ground/etc'. In that way it might also be a reference to the idea that man arose from the earth, and thus the Titanomachy is a representation of dealing with that very odd beleif.

ive done a good amount of research on the greek gods,and the annunaki,they have aalot of things in common

? The annunaki are rarely mentioned and exist primarily as judges of the underworld. How do you see them as being so similar to the olympic gods?

the annuanki live on PLANET X/NIBIRU

There is no such thing as planet nibiru. These ideas are usually based on Z. Sitchin, who is, to say the least, not taken seriously by people studying these religions and cultures. Sitchin seems to just take the translated text of some sumerian myths, and then make it all up into a whacky story that is very, very, poorly supported, if not flat out rejected.

hence the name jesus/zues...

Zeus' name has a far more interesting connection than that. The romans called him Juptier, and this is said to be from Zeus Pater, Zeus the Father, and of course he's a god of the skies. In sanskrit, apparently, the word dyeaus piter means 'Sky Father' or 'Father Sky' (but notice there is no hindu god called Dyeaus Piter nor Skyfather).
This connection can be made because greek, latin, and sanskrit are all closely related, they are in the indo-european family of languages. Aramaic and greek are not closely related, Aramaic is a semitic language, so the conection because the 'oos' sound in jesooos and zeooos is probably more coincidence than anything.

amethyst
The Egyptian, Greek, and Roman pantheons (and I think Hindu) are all based on the religion founded by Nimrod and Semiramis shortly after the Flood.

This is incorrect, these religions are not that closely related, and there never was a global flood.

Catholicism is based on that same religion

Catholicism is christianity, not paganism. Catholics don't worship statues, nor preists as gods. If jesus saves, then he saves catholics certainly.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
YOU ARE CORRECT THE ANNUNAKI ARE mentioned as THE AFTER WORLD JUDGES,i ment to say the mesopatamian gods are related to the greeks...i call them the annunaki because thats the only name i know them by...i dont think the hindu gods are the same as the sumerians or greeks...i dont know ill comment on this stuff alil bit later

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarFromDanK

Very good post, I just wanted to point out something.

Jesus refers to himself as the "Bright, morning star" in various occasions, such as Revelation 22:16. First of all, Venus is the brightest object in the sky after the Sun, and the moon. Venus is, and was considered the morning star because since its orbit is inside the Earth's, we can see Venus only when we are looking in the general direction of the earth. Therefore it is only possible to see this bright celestial object at sunrise (morning) or sunset.

Even a Google Search with the words "Morning Star Uranus" shows that Venus is considered the morning star.

I'm curious as to why you believe the morning star refers to Uranus.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

[edit on 2/12/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
who says catholics don't pray to statues? You get on your knees before the statue of a man being tortured on a cross, you kneal before statues of the virgin mary, you have amulets of saints around your neck, etc

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Cronos did not want his offspring to take his throne, just as he did to his father Uranus, so he devoured his children when they were born. Rhea became mad and when the sixthed child was to be born, she fooled Cronos into believing that he ate the child, when in fact it was a stone covered in cloths. This sixth child was Zeus. Rhea convinced Cronos to accept Zeus and he became his cupbearer. Metis helped Zeus by creating a drink that would make Cronos vomit out all his children. Cronos drank the concoction and the offspring were disgorged. Now the brothers and sisters of Zeus faught against Cronos and the Titans and the children became victorious. The Titans were banished to Tartarus, which was a region lower than the Underworld. On the dethronement of Cronos (Saturn), Zeus (Jupiter) with his brothers Poseidon (Neptune) and Hades (Pluto) divided his dominions. Zeus' portion was the heavens or sky, Poseidon's was the ocean, and Hades was the realm of the dead.

What's interesting is that there is no mention of an elder god having dominion over the realm of the dead. Was the office just created after the fall of the Titans?

Here's my personal oppinion of what is meant by the fall of the Titans and the dividing of the realms of Cronos, specifically Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. There was a time when the gods had free reign of the earth with no punishment in veiw. It's interesting that it is said that Gaea and Uranus both had prophesied that that Cronos would be overthrown by a son. That time came for reconciliation and the Titans were thrown into Tartarus. The interesting part of the three sons is the dividing of the realms.

Cronos was removed from power because the sky (Zeus), the oceans (Poseidon) and death (Hades) ruined his kingdom.
The sky fell, the oceans flooded and all perished from drowning.

Does this event sound familiar?

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarFromDanK
URANUS was also call ANU,by the sumerians,notice how the greeks added the UR, S to make UR-anu-S,Ur is also the homeland of the biblical abraham

Except that Uranus is actually a Latinized form of the original term Ouranos who, other than being associated with the sky, has very little in common with the Sumerian Anu. Anu, in fact, shares far more in common with the Greek god Zeus. Both were seen as extremely powerful sky-gods, for example. Furthermore, both deities were the central figures in a triat of ruling gods. For the Sumerians, these gods were Anu himself, along with Bel and Ea. For the Greeks, the triat comprised of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. Both Zeus and Anu were perceived as being not only rulers or kings of the gods, but also as being fathers of various subsequent deities.

However, even these links are to be expected. Each of these gods represents a fundamental aspect of the universe - the sky, the Earth/underworld and the waters. It is to be expected that deities will share similar features across cultures. However, these links are hardly evidence of a common shared history and are no evidence at all of alien visitation. They are more indicative of the human inclination to anthropomorphise natural phenomena to quantify and understand their surroundings and to exert some measure of control over their environment. Speculation is all well and good, especially here in Skunkworks, but we must bend our theories to fit what we find via archaeology and history, not the other way around. Any theory can be proven correct if we blind ourselves to all other alternatives.

Are you attempting to draw parallels between the Greek goddess Gaea and the Sumerian god Ea here? I'm just a little puzzled, since Ea (who is actually a later representation of the earlier Sumerian deity known as Enki) is not only male, but is associated not with the Earth, but with the watery abyss known as the Abzu. It would seem to me that any link between these two deities is unfounded.

It is more likely that Apollo's chariot was representative of the sun, given that Apollo drew his chariot across the sky each day. Why would you think that the description of a horse-drawn chariot was a description of a UFO? The only similarity I can think of is that they both travel in the sky. The idea of a flying chariot would not have been a difficult concept for the Greeks to imagine, given that they are aware of animals abilities to fly and possessed legends of flying horses, such as Pegasus. It seems to be popular to attribute any description of a chariot which could fly in ancient mythology as a UFO. Apollo's chariot is clearly described as being horse-drawn which, to me, seems to run counter to modern descriptions of UFOs. We must remember that the ancient Greeks were not stupid. They were extremely adept at technical aspects of engineering and it is difficult to believe that they would have seen a UFO and described it as a simple, horse-drawn chariot.

By whom? I am afraid that I do not follow your line of reasoning here. You seem to want to draw parallels between the Annunaki and the Titans, but then speculate about links between the Annunaki and the Greek pantheon of gods. The Annunaki and the Titans were very distinct groups, each possessing their own intricate mythologies and legends.

I think it would benefit this theory to apply Occam's Razor. What is more likely - that the ancient Greeks, upon observing lightning and thunder attributed them to their primary god of the sky (where lightning derives from) or that they saw or heard of a battle in which modern-style missiles were utilised and interpreted or described them as thunderbolts? To me, the first seems much more likely. The Greeks would have been very well aware of the destructive power of lightning, so envisioning it as a weapon is a natural association. Furthermore, attributing this powerful weapon to Zeus is also appropriate, given his role as both a sky-god and as the most powerful god of their pantheon. No reimagining of this association is necessary to explain Zeus' thunderbolt.

But again, the association between humans and dust is a fairly natural one to make, and does not constitute evidence for the involvement of extraterrestrial genetic engineers. When a person is buried, they literally go back into the Earth. Is it so unreasonable, then, to perceive this as giving people back to the Earth? Furthermore, humans are reliant upon the Earth for life. We toil to make the Earth fertile and in response it gives forth life in the form of plants, fruits and vegetables, which provide us with food we need to live. The links between the Earth (and its more base elements - clay, dust, rocks) and life are natural ones and do not imply anything other than a fundamental understanding of our reliance upon the Earth to supply us with life-giving resources.

[edit on 2/12/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

amethyst
The Egyptian, Greek, and Roman pantheons (and I think Hindu) are all based on the religion founded by Nimrod and Semiramis shortly after the Flood.

This is incorrect, these religions are not that closely related, and there never was a global flood.

Do a Google search. I'll see if I can find Hislop's book online.

And there was a global flood. Geological records indicate one, and how do you account for all these ancient civilizations having flood "legends"?

Catholicism is based on that same religion

Catholicism is christianity, not paganism. Catholics don't worship statues, nor preists as gods. If jesus saves, then he saves catholics certainly.

Better tell that to Mother Teresa, because she said that priests are called "another Christ."

Catholicism is counterfeit Christianity. And Jesus can save Catholics...but they have to give up Catholicism.

I'd also take a look at the Reformation.org web site. You'd be surprised at how many things associated with Christianity are of pagan origin.

True Christianity is not of pagan origin. That is, Bible Christianity.

Catholicism goes by these rules:

#1: The Catholic church is always right.
#2: If the Bible contradicts Mother Church's teachings, refer back to Rule #1.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
i dont remeber saying that Uranus was related to the morning star...but the funny thing is since halloween,i thot venus was actually planet x retturning.....a day before i was reading some stuff from this site:www.nibiruancouncil.com...and it was talking about planet x its leaderships,missions,history,even stuff about our souls that really started to make since....alot of the stuff makes since..maybe you should read it...i think its coming...and this could be the biblical description of jesus returning/revelations

[edit on 2-12-2005 by FarFromDanK]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I am somewhat convinced that the Titans refer to the fallen angels who materialized on earth before the flood. I believe there would have been more than twelve that ruled the earth. The Book of Enoch reports that 200 angels materialized on earth before the flood came.
However, the use of the name Iapetus as one of the Titans is very interesting. This mythology belongs to the Greeks. Their origins come from the ancient Ionians. The name Iaones is used by the poet Homer. The possible progenitor of the Ionians is Javan. The Hebrew name is Yawan. Javan is listed as one of the sons of Japheth in Genesis. The other brothers were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim and Dodanim. The father of Japheth was the famous Noah.

Could the identity of Iapetus represent the era in which the legend originated?

So how does this sound?

Zeus, Poseidon and Hades stopped Cronos
Sky, Water and Death stopped Time

The sky fell in the form of rain, the oceans filled up and killed all creatures that lived on the land. Time had stopped for the human family because the world scene changed.

I believe the planets changed their positions as well during this time but the Greeks did not speak of it in their poetry. The only piece that might relate to this in Greek folklore is the legend of Phaeton.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I kinda like this topic. I have been reading different mythologies since i was in jr. high and have had a particular fondness for greek myths. Their creation myths and usurpations of one god by their own offspring and wars between titans and gods were interesting ways for them to view their own socio-political interconnections of their city-states. Just one more thing..nygdan catholics are pagans. they have incorporated most pagan celebrations and beliefs to make the spread of their religion more palatable. Catholics also worship statues, crosses, saints and even virgins, they pray to this virgin and their plethera of saints and even Jesus before they pray to God, exactly opposite of what Jesus taught! Oh and one more one more thing
there is a good possibility that there was a major flood of somekind in the past, geologic evidence supports a swelling of the oceans and seas, (possibly by the poles melting?) and the anthropological evidence of a flood myth in every culture from the around the world including American indians and Australian aboriginies.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
So how does this sound?

Zeus, Poseidon and Hades stopped Cronos
Sky, Water and Death stopped Time

The sky fell in the form of rain, the oceans filled up and killed all creatures that lived on the land. Time had stopped for the human family because the world scene changed.

The only flaw I can see in this line of reasoning is that Cronos the Titan is not the personification of Time. Rather, he is often (and very easily) confused with the god Chronos. It is an easy mistake to make, but the two are very different entities. Cronos, the Titan who was overthrown by his son Zeus, had nothing to do with Time, but was rather later identified with agriculture and was often depicted bearing a scythe.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Thanks Jeremiah25 for the correction. At the time I wrote that last comment, I just thought it sounded good without really researching the facts. I went on a hunch and I was wrong and sorry for the pun just now. (TIME)

Wikipedia never fails. It's so awesome.
Now I can see that Father Time is usually spelled with an 'H': Such as Chronos, Chronus, or Khronos.
It doesn't seem that the Titan Cronos had any specific power over any realm. It just said that Zeus, Poseidon and Hades divided his spoil, one of which belonged to Oceanus. I wonder what Cronos was good at? There had to be something.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1jaguar
who says catholics don't pray to statues?

Catholics. I think that they'd know. Catholics don't worship statues or commit idolatry, catholics belive in jesus christ as saviour, like all the other christians. Heck, one of the causes of the schism within the early christian community that lead to the RCC was the usage of icons amoung the orthodoxy, which was seen by catholics as idolatry.

Just one more thing..nygdan catholics are pagans

Pagans don't worship 'the one true god', which is what catholics and other christians do.

they have incorporated most pagan celebrations

What pagan celebrations have catholics incorporated that other christians don't? The vast majority of christians celebrate christmas and easter or have feast days for saints. Its hardly relevant. The theology is a christian theology.

and beliefs

What pagan beleifs do catholics have to the exclusion of other christians? The core of Christianity itself 'borrows' quite a bit from the pagan religions but that doesn't mean that its a pagan religion, the believers are monotheists.

Catholics also worship statues, crosses, saints and even virgins,

Catholics do none of this. Catholics worship the holy trinity, the triune godhead. Christianity is accepting jesus as god and only jesus as god (neverminidng the complications of trinitarian christianity). Catholics are christians. They don't worship saints as gods. The veneration of saints and appeals made to them certainly fills the void left when monotheism wipes away paganism, but its not paganism itself.

there is a good possibility that there was a major flood of somekind in the past, geologic evidence supports a swelling of the oceans and seas

There is absolutely no evidence for a global flood anything like described in these myths. I'll agree wholeheartedly that sea levels have changed in the past, but never anything like whats alleged in these myths.

and the anthropological evidence of a flood myth in every culture from the around the world including American indians and Australian aboriginies.

Both of those cultures would've experienced local and very devastating floods, especially the aborigines as they moved from eurasia to australia by inhabiting small islands.

amethyst
Do a Google search.

Amethyst, I have studied these religions, some more than others, in more detail than a google search. The idea that they were all started by nimrod is not supported by evidence nor logic.

And there was a global flood. Geological records indicate one

Rather geological records indicate that there never was a global flood.

, and how do you account for all these ancient civilizations having flood "legends"?

Since
  • There is no physical evidence for a global flood and if anything the evidnece contradicts its occurance
  • There's no physical way to have a flood like that
  • Disasterous Floods occur in isolated regions all over the planet

then its very reasonable to conclude that all these flood myths are, if they have any basis in reality, the result of that local culture having experience a devastating flood in its past. I'd tend to think that there are other psychological reasons for why a flood myth would exist even if a particular civilization hadn't experienced a really horrible one also.

lostinspace
    What's interesting is that there is no mention of an elder god having dominion over the realm of the dead. Was the office just created after the fall of the Titans?

Its probable that this is because the victory of the olympian gods represents the reign of order in the cosmos, and thus the universe is seperated into three ordered domains, Sky, Sea, under-Earth, Zeus, Poseidon, Hades (often called Dis), rather than an actual physical event.

Also, I think that in the great war before the Titanomachy, the Gigantomachy, the giants were imprisoned under the earth.

The sky fell, the oceans flooded and all perished from drowning.

Does this event sound familiar?

Interesting way of looking at it. Thus the titanomachy becomes a variation of the flood myth. However, I have to caution that there never was any world-wide flood.

believe the planets changed their positions as well during this time

?
    How would this happen? You are familiar with Velikovsky no?

• new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join