It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu strain found in California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Weak Strain Of Bird Flu Found At Sun Valley Farm.

Japanese quails suffering from a low pathogenic strain of bird flu were discovered in a Sun Valley quail farm.
The bureau’s veterinarian determined many of the birds had a variety of diseases, fast-moving respiratory ailments, infections, injuries and lesions. Most disturbing was the diagnosis of a low pathogenic strain of avian influenza among the quails, which had been raised and kept at the facility.

cbs2.com...

First let me say that the conditions that these birds lived is deplorable. The intent was for human consumption and this alone raises many questions to the sanitation of our food supply and the regulations that are supposedly imposed.

Secondly, this also brings to light that this virus isn't far off. Although it's being reported it's a low pathogenic form it doesn't outline which of the strains the birds are carrying. Most likely it isn't the H5N1.
However, I think this raises the question of what is actually making it into our country and ultimately to our tables.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Good find DDay.

FYI - H5N1 bird flu has been spreading around the world and mutating since 1959. We probably have thousands of strains floating around already.

...Scientists have been warning governments about this for decades, and recommending prevention strategies for agriculture. But nothing was done.

So now, the plan is to quarantine infected humans, instead of animals.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
sofi, you say some form of bird flu has been around for almost 50 years.
Are you saying there was NO kind of avian flu before that time?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
No, if you had read his post you would understand that H5N1 has been around since the 50's, not Bird Flu in general. H5N1 is a strain of the virus.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Why the hell would people eat Japanese quails, those things are so adorable...like piegons but smaller...

I'm a guy...but I love birds..I have a pet chicken, but then again I eat chicken and turkey, just not the ones i keep as pets...lol...I don't eat pets..

But I don't think people should would about sanitation, because I'm sure people are going to deep fry or cook the quails right? So why worry? I'm just scared that dirty chefs won't wash their hands after touching teh uncook meat, and shaking the customer's hand or touch the customer food, and wham you gots infestation on yo food.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
sofi, you say some form of bird flu has been around for almost 50 years.
Are you saying there was NO kind of avian flu before that time?

Sorry DTOM - missed this one.

[Scientists discover deadly H5N1 bird flu began in Scotland, 1959

"Scientists tracing the history of the H5N1 virus have traced its first recorded episode to an Aberdeen farm. ...A scientist identified only as Dr JE Wilson, of the Veterinary Laboratory in Lasswade, outside Edinburgh, is recorded as having worked on the case - sending the chicken to Addlestone, where the strain was medically isolated so it could be used in experiments. The Scottish H5N1 has been used in experiments, named "chicken/Scotland/1959".

No medical agency in Scotland or England was able to give many details - except to say that the disease has become heartier and deadlier since it was found in Scotland. There is also no sign of Dr Wilson. The Moredun Research Institute at Penicuik said that it had no record of him and that he was likely to have passed away."

The 1918 Flu also seems to have been a form that affects birds - and has a similar genetic structure and characteristics.

Type A influenzas - like "bird" flu - infect all kinds of animals, not just birds - and apparently spread around the world with migrating birds and whales.

More info and links here: Bird flu

new topics

top topics

join