It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Keen is Your Discernment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Do you 'feel' or sense the posters words as being true, fabricated, or just trolling?
To me, 'feeling' a true or false is very important, especially online or among strangers..
Do the 'real' stories or experiences jump out at you, or do you have to go sufing to debunk or prove something to yourself without 'trusting' one's sincerity?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
For the most part, I don't believe or disbelieve (unless it's so ridiculous that it has to be fraudulent) anything anyone claims.
Though there are a few people who I have gotten a sense that they are telling the truth, even if I've never talked to them, or see a post by them, but that's pretty rare.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
For the most part, I don't believe or disbelieve (unless it's so ridiculous that it has to be fraudulent) anything anyone claims.
Though there are a few people who I have gotten a sense that they are telling the truth, even if I've never talked to them, or see a post by them, but that's pretty rare.

Yes, it is rare, but there are key ways to tell.
If a poster dis-misses any subject vehemently, dis-miss them..egoic.
If a poster seems young, help them through the morass.
It becomes easier the more one tries it..

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
That is very true.

Of course if I catch them in a lie, than I tend to ignore them.

Surprised there is not anyone else posting on this thread, I'm pretty sure alot of people would love to *cough*cough*Vent/Rant/Be rude towards other members*cough*cough*, or actually answer civilly.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

That is very true.

Of course if I catch them in a lie, than I tend to ignore them.

Surprised there is not anyone else posting on this thread, I'm pretty sure alot of people would love to *cough*cough*Vent/Rant/Be rude towards other members*cough*cough*, or actually answer civilly.

I too am wondering where all the JONESERS are tonight

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Something is out *cough* there as I just closed a thread that was not *cough* even mine.....

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's funny, some people on this forum I believe no matter how outlandish.
Others I refuse to believe no matter what.

Some post with an air of arrogance that raises my BS meter into the red zone even though they may be making perfect sense. I hate to be patronized.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
It's funny, some people on this forum I believe no matter how outlandish.
Others I refuse to believe no matter what.

Some post with an air of arrogance that raises my BS meter into the red zone even though they may be making perfect sense. I hate to be patronized.

I can count on one hand the posters I believe regardless,I loathe being talked down to, as that insults my intellect.I use the word I too much, but it is ME it has happened to...ROFL
WHY would a person sit for hours and post BS

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I see a few reasons;

1. They are purposefully doing it, I.E. trying to spread disinformation.
2. They are boring little people with no life to speak of.
3. They actually believe what they write.
4. They have WAY to much free time on there hands.
5. They like upsetting people.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I see a few reasons;

1. They are purposefully doing it, I.E. trying to spread disinformation.
2. They are boring little people with no life to speak of.
3. They actually believe what they write.
4. They have WAY to much free time on there hands.
5. They like upsetting people.

Great list...
I agree with all 5, but there is an overtone I have not totally deciphered, but I will.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well, do tell us when you do...curiosity and all that.

I.K

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Well, do tell us when you do...curiosity and all that

Will do, but it is a 'force' that is hard to describe..

[edit on 30-11-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

*Stares in awe*, apart from the whole force thing, I very rarely ever hear (or in this case see) anyone use the word "force", shows intelligence in my opinion.

Wow, I just realised, we're like the only ones talking, Whaa was, but were the ones predominently posting, how strange.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I came to ATS to find interesting tid-bits regarding UFOs/Aliens, Space Exploration, Science/Tech, & Military Craft but have found myself reading more of the Political groups as well. I've seen quite a few posts that are truly zany but am always glad to read interesting, thoughtful, and solidly research posts. It's akin to panning for gold, you know? I aim my skepticism more at the websites posters suggest or link to.

I'm incredulous at the complete and utter lack of rhetorical reasoning, critical thinking that some have posted (or even a simple attempt at researching their question on Google). It's as painful as reading a poster who I assume is a native English speaker but seems to have no reading/writing skill whatsoever. Others are either narrow-minded, baiting people, or seem to be true disinformation agents. "UFOs don't exist and if you believe they do you're insane. How do I know? Because it's an obvious fact of life!" Wow. Gee, thanks, what a great argument. I'm convinced.

When I started visiting ATS a few months ago, I was amazed at how fearful/anxious many posters seem to be. But I think people have a right to worry about their future safety in the world. Conspiracies or not, sh*t is f*cked up in the world and it's hard to see how we can avoid/prevent any potential NWO/WWIII/Plague/Environmental disaster that "may" be on the way.

But back to the original question, for the most part, I hold a "quantum state" of belief regarding a topic: "It's either true or not true. Most likely it's both."

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

*Stares in awe*, apart from the whole force thing, I very rarely ever hear (or in this case see) anyone use the word "force", shows intelligence in my opinion.

Wow, I just realised, we're like the only ones talking, Whaa was, but were the ones predominently posting, how strange.

ROFL, must not be any discernment among the posters...Is that sad or just overwhelmingly comical?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
[[[But back to the original question, for the most part, I hold a "quantum state" of belief regarding a topic: "It's either true or not true. Most likely it's both." ]]]

Your attitude is refreshing, wading through the BS is messing up my nice black leather thigh-highs..
Hang in there, there are HONEST ones in here that are trying their best to to good works.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have learned that my reaction to someone else's opinions is a better measure of my own truth or falsity than theirs.

I have been in forums where practically everyone shares my belief, when suddenly a statement is made, and there is seeming agreement, and something inside me reacts very negatively. I try to look very carefully at those comments.

Everybody wants to feel like they hold some rare knowledge, but at the same time, prefer to be with those who share our views. This combination can make it very easy to manipulate opinions. I believe this is part of why religion is making a comeback after centuries of decline. There is a great feeling of disconnectedness in a world where the rate of change is accelerating, and being part of a belief system, however wacky, makes us feel like we've got solid ground under our feet. In fact, the more the particular religious beliefs go against the evidence of our own senses, the more strenuously some will cling to them, as long as they can find others who will support those beliefs. This may explain, to some extent, Scientology and Mormonism. Even the certain knowledge that they were dreamt up by con men and charlatans can't dissuade those who have experienced the comfort of having someone whisper in their ears: "This is how it REALLY is." Add to that the fear of death, and more importantly, the fear of being unimportant, and you have the most potent tool for mind control imaginable. Secret knowledge is magic stuff, even when it's total rubbish.

I've got tremendous affection for Above Top Secret. I have learned a great deal from it, much about myself, in the years I lurked and in the short time I've been a member. It means a lot to me to a great extent because of the self-knowledge that comes from thinking about the views of others, and the growth that comes from efforts to discern what truths exist there.

And whomever said previously that it's important to be a little careful with posters who might be kind of young (and who show it in their posts), I could not agree more. We owe these youngsters a debt that's out of proportion to the value of their partly (and sometimes poorly)-formed statements.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
[[[I've got tremendous affection for Above Top Secret. I have learned a great deal from it, much about myself, in the years I lurked and in the short time I've been a member. It means a lot to me to a great extent because of the self-knowledge that comes from thinking about the views of others, and the growth that comes from efforts to discern what truths exist there.

And whomever said previously that it's important to be a little careful with posters who might be kind of young (and who show it in their posts), I could not agree more. We owe these youngsters a debt that's out of proportion to the value of their partly (and sometimes poorly)-formed statements]]

Bravo,, great post..You have covered a lot of salient points that have not been said.
I do not think I have posted to you before, but thank you for the breath of fresh air..If I had anymore WATS, I would give you one...

And your 'feelings' know.

new topics

top topics

join