It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will someone rethink the pop-ups on this site? Please?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
For those who have been hiding under a rock somewhere

AboveTopSecret.com, the TV show...

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Kit

Well, tell me how to just allow pop-ups for ATS 'cause I can't seem to figure it out. Maybe others could use this information as well.

Peace

For Firefox: Tools, Options, WebFeatures, Pop-ups, Allowed sites.

Sorry, I'm not kit!

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
For those who have been hiding under a rock somewhere

AboveTopSecret.com, the TV show...

This is great news.
I wonder how it will look, and feel.
Is it me, or is there a great influx of people, who are more interested in this #.
Has ATS membership taken off recently????
I stumbled across this site looking into all the alien stuff, and since then, become hooked.

I do hope it stays a free site as said in a post on that thread.

More people will be awoken by this, i hope.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
For Firefox: Tools, Options, WebFeatures, Pop-ups, Allowed sites.

Thanks BH!! Worked like a charm.

I'm glad I can do my part.

Peace

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I got pop up's ok for ATS too.....

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I know, I know, I'm the bad guy because I despise pop ups.
I don't support the site because I'd rather not waste my time being spammed with disruptive and often buggy ads talking about things I don't want, and not just on ATS but ANY site.

Pop ups are spam in my opinion, not just advertising.
Do you like going to other websites and hitting a console that opens up several pop ups, then when you close that another opens and so on? No, ATS doesn't do that, but it's the the principle of a pop up ad that drives me crazy.

What kind of traffic does ATS get a month?
You go through 2TB's of bandwidth? So lets say you're paying 50 cents per gig of transfer, so roughly $1,000 per month in hosting, let's make it $3,000 just for kicks.

Now, ATS is at around 30k uniques per day or 900,000 per month, lets figure an avg impression of 5 per unique which yields 4.5 million impressions per month/4500 x $5cpm = $22,500 per month. Total: $19,500 per month or $234,000 per year. That is assuming only one ad/campaign is being displayed per pageview and not including any of the google ads etc.

So I ask, does ATS REALLY need the popups?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm not necessarily recommending Norton Internet Security 2005, but that's what I currently use and the ad blocking feature eliminates the problem of pop-ups and banner ads here and almost everywhere else. The very few that creep through occasionally are bearable.

Please note that there are a heap of unsatisfied customers with Symantec and I have had some problems with my program, although none have compromised the security of my computer.

NIS 2005

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I use IE (and with absalutely no problems), and I lurk more logged off than on (with no issue's), and I click on ads (with little hesitation).

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricCrow

I come to the site without being logged in

But why don't you just log in then?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Now, ATS is at around 30k uniques per day or 900,000 per month, lets figure an avg impression of 5 per unique which yields 4.5 million impressions per month/4500 x $5cpm = $22,500 per month. Total: $19,500 per month or $234,000 per year. That is assuming only one ad/campaign is being displayed per pageview and not including any of the google ads etc.

That is the MOST rediculous load of bullocks I've read in YEARS!

If you'll pay us $5.00 a CPM you can have EXCLUSIVE ad rights TONIGHT.

I don't know what universe you are in but you are off by orders of magnitude!

We ONLY get paid on CLICK THROUGHS (CPC) first off, and secondly I am tired of this conversation.

Another expert comes to tell us all about it... yawn...

Try logging in and all the adverts go away WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? There's very little else we can do to make this site any more "user friendly"...

Springer...

[edit on 11-30-2005 by Springer]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

go Springer!

and thanks BH
i couldnt quite remember how i had done it

the pop-ups for this site are NOT bad guys, how much would it really hurt you to allow them.? just for ONE site? and a site you love at that

--Kit.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Jumping in here (again). I have "some" experience with online advertising.

Your math is off... we're around 40k unique users a day, with peaks into 70k during major world events.

None of our advertising is "CMP" based (cost per 1,000 impressions), we're subscribed to CPC (cost per click) ad networks as well as the Google ads. We're not yet at the frequency and reach ratios that are important to advertisers who will pay for impression-based ads. And even so, we'll need to be over 1 million daily uniques before a $5 CPM is within reach.

Our cluster of four managed servers was not factored into your analysis. While bandwidth is included in our package, we have four dual-processor enterprise-level machines with network backup appliances and a managed hosting contract. At this point, it serves our needs, with a small amount of breathing room.

Based on our estimates of traffic, we'll need to double the amount of servers when the TV show hits. This requires an investment, so we need to establish revenue in excess of expenses in order to prepare.

Also, there's a few people who work pretty hard at making this all happen... they shouldn't get some compensation for the blood, sweat, and tears?

We set out to ensure our pop-ads are as friendly as possible. The fact is, they pay better than other ads. So with our growing need to service existing traffic levels and prepare for significant future increases, yes, we need the popups.

The Internet is a culture of collaboration that has grown through the ethics of sharing. Our thousands of members continue to share their knowledge, and we collaborate by continuing to expand the infrastructure that makes it possible. And, members always see far fewer ads than guests, and no pop-ups on the boards. Sharing and collaboration.

So it's not too much to ask to not block our ads if you use our site. Is it? And, if you regularly use our site, but knowingly block our only means of gaining revenue, is that ethical?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
And, if you regularly use our site, but knowingly block our only means of gaining revenue, is that ethical?

I have never thought of ad blocking as an ethical issue. One of the stated perquisites of membership is to see fewer ads. I still see the ads in the borders, and I do click them from time to time. Also, as a contributing member, I do feel that I am providing the kind of content that draws visitors to our site, who do see all the ads, unless and until they become members. I feel that members should have the right to do whatever makes them more comfortable on the site and thereby spend more time here providing the one thing the site simply cannot survive without--content.

[edit on 2005/12/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
For what ATS gives us ( for free ) anyone should be able to deal with a little advertising.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Let me help you guys out a little..
www.247realmedia.com...

Call up Steve, tell them the traffic you are getting, setup an ad service account and let them fill a million monthly impressions for starters, it will be a 50/50 split but its quick/easy money. If it goes well, increase the amount of inventory you let them fill for you.

No I dont work for the company, own it or anything else. Just trying to show I'm not as bad as you think I am. I hate pop ups on websites, thats all.

Pay per click advdertising is why you're stuck in the poor house and personally I think it's a scam.

Companies pay for brand awareness. If I buy time on a TV network, I'm paying to display my message to people. It doesnt mean they are going to run out and buy my product right then.

Paying per banner click as an advertiser is a dream.

In any case, the mods here don't seem to be able to handle the criticism so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and no I dont know how your entire system is setup hence the reason I was forced to guess at everything. Of course...

[edit on 1-12-2005 by ElectricCrow]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Don't feed that 'troll'.

I think you are only looking for attention here.

If you really wanted to offer a serious idea to ATS , there would have been many ways to mail or u2u the admins and go into a deeper discussion on your suggestions.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I have to admit that i come to this site alot not logged in (Not been here in a while) and i get about 1 pop up every time i click on a link...my google blocker does jack my windows one does jack they great things.

I dont mind the ads that litter the site I barerly notice them to be honest but the pop ups are just annoying as i dont like them coming into my face or opening new windows on my desktop.

But i understand the need for revenue but i imagine there better ways than pop ups just cant think of any

But i am sure i get more than 2 pop ups in 6 hours and im on a static ip

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by minority2000uk
I have to admit that i come to this site alot not logged in

it is so simple: log in - it doesn't hurt.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
yes but my point was that i aint been to bts in a while as i been really busy and since i built a new pc I have never actually logged into the site but when i got here i just surfed around reading some of the topics and noticed the pop ups I only logged in now cause i felt like giving my opinion lol.

Now i am logged in I notice just how many ads there is lol.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yes, logging in is fine. Before I began using Firefox, if I forgot or lost my password I was more or less forced to deal with all of the ads. I have had 5 names on this site due to errors or other bugs forcing me to re-register, no not bannings, but I do see a lot of those here too.

Consider me a troll all you'd like. All I can say is that if this site isn't generating anything close to the revenue I had described above, give me a call. Chances are I could double it, without pop ups.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join