It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who was King Arthur

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Has anyone found information on the real King Arthur? Was he a real person in history?

If anyone has some good links, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There's now general acceptance that behind the legendary figure of Arthur stands a real historic personage. A Dark Age warlord most likely.

Heres a few links

www.uidaho.edu...

historymedren.about.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
An excellent question.

The legends have adapted to fit the periods. I've been reading through some of the oldest Grail legends available (on the Gutenberg Project of electronic books) and always enjoyed reading Arthurian legends. Mallory certainly changed up quite a bit of what he found, but the modern reworking of the legends just aggravate me to death.

I think my favorite reworking of Arthur is "The Once And Future King." I also liked "The Crystal Cave" trilogy.

I've read most of the ones listed here:
www.sacred-texts.com...

This has a particularly fine introduction that goes over the formation of the legend and some of the major changes (up until the 1800's)
www.gutenberg.org...

What was interesting to me is that in the first versions, Queen Guenevere dies before Arthur does (dies of loneliness and depression while he's off on one of his year-long or longer quests.)

The archaeological evidence is murky but there's some suggestion that he's based on a real king or a real hero.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply,

I actually have just started reading "The Once and Future King" and so far so good. Legendary stories are always interesting reads, many of them point out problems and dilemas that we still face in life/society today. These tales captivate me, and I would like to believe that there is some truth to them. However I have heard historical evidence is hard to come by due to the common use of wood. Any info out there on Camelot and the knights?

Thanks again

new topics

top topics

join