It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone not like Greenday?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by shorty

Originally posted by chebob
Sorry Green Day, it's time for bed, you haven't got it anymore.

Yeah, after all, this wasn't the hugest year of their career.

Ahem, a bands success doesn't equal their quality, how else do you explain such hits as "The Fast Food Song" and "We Are The Cheeky Girls", to name 2 out of thousands.

Anyway, as with most things, it's entirely opinion, I just don't like them anymore.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by chebob]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by shorty

Sorry Green Day, it's time for bed, you haven't got it anymore.

Yeah, after all, this wasn't the hugest year of their career.

Ahem, a bands success doesn't equal their quality

I think it's pretty fair to say that in this case it does, whether or not you personally enjoy the American Idiot album.

Although, in some ways I agree, it would be great for Green Day to end their career on such a high point.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Personally I would have liked them to retire right after the greatest hits album. I actually like the message they are trying to put out with their recent stuff, it's only the actual music I dislike.

On the plus side, they are still ten times a better band than Blink 182 :shk:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
tough crowd
. I am a fan of Green Day and think they have stayed pretty steady over the years. Those who have said they are just taking advantage of popular beliefs and exploiting it, isn't that what the industry is about though? I appreciate the bands that stay true to their own thoughts and do not follow the norms to make the big buck. However I find it tough to fault the band for speaking their beliefs or just using this current situation in America to sell CD's.

They do have an extremely large fan base so you have to admit they must be doing something right. Wake me up when September ends is a great song and even better video. I watched on CNN the other day of 5 soldiers killed, 2 were 19, 1 was 20 and the other 2 were 21. Isn't this what their video is symbolizing? Not everybody stands for this war and they do have the right to speak of their beliefs, and in my opinion what their saying is the truth.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Personally I would have liked them to retire right after the greatest hits album. I actually like the message they are trying to put out with their recent stuff, it's only the actual music I dislike.

On the plus side, they are still ten times a better band than Blink 182 :shk:

I have the exact same opinion. I like the LYRICS of American Idiot but the song isn't great. The other soungs are pretty overplayed. Especially boulevard of broken dreams. I hate that one. People like it so much they act like children. No that great of a band. I hate alternative rock and most punk rock. Alternative sucks though. badly.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I really dont like Greenday, the reason...They complain and say they feel sorrow for the soldiers in Iraq, Yet They aren't down there fighting the good fight for thier country. They just sit in thie mansions and sing about the stuff. It doesn't seem like they care so much to me.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I still have Green Days "Dookie" album from high school... But I kind of grew out of them for more.........................................

Sophisticated tastes, if that doesn't make me sound to pretentious.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I don't think much of green day. And here are some reasons why.

1. Their musician-ship is amateurish. Their timing isn't that great. This is one of the hallmarks of a studio band that isn't used to playing a lot of 3 hour sets. Generally, such musicians perform in a recording studio, or do a 2-song set on SNL or an awardshow. Did you know that the dinosaurs of rock (bands from when I was your age) would play a 4 hour concet. Rush used to do that. I was in a 15000 seat arena, and they were taking requests from the audience. Of course, they also had 15 albums (4 doubles) out by that point. Not 9.

2. Although their credits list Billie Joe as the author of the vast majority of the songs, I suspect a lot of it of being lifted from British punk bands from the later half of the Punk era, that Americans are not that familiar with. I suspect that a lot of the "creativity" is actually coming from studio techs who know a good punk riff or two.

3. Listen carefully to the "hooks" (punchlines) of the songs and tell me that you think one person wrote those; that they didn't come from a writers' pool the way most country/western music is written now. Notice that most people who like them note that their style changed abruptly fairly recently in their careers. While a lot of fans may call it selling out or mainstreaming, it is frequently a sign that preformer(s) written out or has just dried up. Can you say "Guns N Roses?" I know---before your time.

4. Could anything be worse that FAUX-BRITISH accents?????

5. Yes, stale and trite political sentiments could be worse. Why is it that the people who feel that Green Day is deeply philosophical have not finished puberty? Has Green Day ever expressed a "political statement" that would not fit on a bumper sticker?
Compare their work with Jefferson Airplane listen to Airplane's "Volunteers of America" versus "American Idiot" and tell me which is you think shows more insight into the times. Or listen to Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past," or better yet "Bungle in the Jungle." That is a perfect example. As a British band, they were "in no position" to critique vietnam as outsiders. And so their lyrics never mention war or vietnam. But they use "it's a jungle out there" imagery to convey exactly American frustration with Vietnam, even for people who had supported the War.

JT's music highlights the American Frustration with guerilla warfare and America's racism in its use of carpet bombing, which caused civilian casualties and destroyed the lives and farms of innocent bystanders. At the time, people felt we were losing the war because we had not "fought with honor." So where are those kind of sentiments in Green Day's lyrics:

(note: my comments are in italics in parenthesis. The constrainst of the posting engine won't let me indent my comments off to the side

Walking through forests of palm tree apartments ---
Scoff at the monkeys who live in their dark tents

(racism and scoffing at all "gooks" as the enemy)

Down by the waterhole --- drunk every friday ---
Eating their nuts --- saving their raisins for sunday.
Lions and tigers who wait in the shadows ---

(guerilla warfare)

They’re fast but they’re lazy, and sleep in green meadows.
Let’s bungle in the jungle --- well, that’s all right by me.
I’m a tiger when I want love,
But I’m a snake if we disagree.

(American use of torture and carpet bombings. the truth about American atrocities was beginning to come out when this song was being played live.)

Just say a word and the boys will be right there:

(Helicopters and "commuter warfare")

With claws at your back to send a chill through the night air.
Is it so frightening to have me at your shoulder?
Thunder and lightning couldn’t be bolder.

("Operation Linebacker" use of carpetbombing was widely considered to be cowardly)

I’ll write on your tombstone, ``i thank you for dinner.’’
This game that we animals play is a winner.

(Vietnam ceased to be about Democracy early on in the war)

Let’s bungle in the jungle --- well, that’s all right by me.
I’m a tiger when I want love,
But I’m a snake if we disagree.

The rivers are full of crocodile nasties

(Swift boat river warfare)

And he who made kittens put snakes in the grass.

(God also made the VC, they are children of God even if the enemy)

He’s a lover of life but a player of pawns ---
Yes, the king on his sunset lies waiting for dawn
To light up his jungle
As play is resumed.
The monkeys seem willing to strike up the tune.

(VC were confident of eventually beating America, regardless of their own casualties.)

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I liked their earlier stuff. It's just a little funny that their most lacklustre album is their most successful.
The big reason I think that Green Day are so popular is not because of it's poltical views, but because of their image. Anyone seen that Jesus of Suburbia video? It was like a emo masterbation video, featuring cutting themselves and ghey makeup.
Yep. Green day appeal to the pussy emo kids. That's why they are way popular then they ever been.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I agree completely, with the post above me. I miss the good old days when you could listen to good rock and roll, and everyone song thats considered "good" isn't meant to make you feel depressed.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
I liked their earlier stuff. It's just a little funny that their most lacklustre album is their most successful.
The big reason I think that Green Day are so popular is not because of it's poltical views, but because of their image. Anyone seen that Jesus of Suburbia video? It was like a emo masterbation video, featuring cutting themselves and ghey makeup.
Yep. Green day appeal to the pussy emo kids. That's why they are way popular then they ever been.

That's marketing, my man. Their record label probably knew the album wouldn't sell on it's own, so they changed the look of the band to appeal to the latest "craze", which is obviously 'emo'. They probably even pay the radio stations and music video channels to overplay Green Day.

Sad but quite possibly true.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
In the old days it was called "payola." Paying radio stations to play a given record, regardless of requests, ratings etc.

The govt said it was fraud and there was a fed probe, etc.

The record companies and radios have assured us that it has never happened again, in 40 years.

not even once.

wow.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yeah, I hate Green Day. Just ask Shorty, he'll tell you.

I agree with theire message, for the most part, but their music,
Just not my thing. I don't get why they were ever so popular. They really sound like crap.

Oh well, to each his own. Though, CT, I do like Fall Out Boy, and The Killers aren't too bad. Could be better, both of them, but they're ok.

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Ok, now that we have heard enough about the bands that I hate, lets talk about the ones I like (or you guys like).

Bands I listen to:

Disturbed=Alternative Metal VERY GOOD

Linkin Park= Rock

Jimmy Eat World= I have no clue but three or 4 of their songs r good

Hoobastank: Rock

The two famous Rob Thomas songs

Bloodhound Gang: lol, this band is know for its sexual content

Third Eye Blind: Rockish (yes i know they are old but I like the 90's)

Sum 41: Punk rockish (yes I know they r old also)

Some of the old 90's rock songs

I would like to mention again that Disturbed is very good if you like rock. If you like Linkin Park you will like Disturbed.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Who needs Greenday when Busted do it all so much better?

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Django for me

Dear God I've been wasting my time with these other guitarists.......

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Who needs Greenday when Busted do it all so much better?

Wow thats all i can say, :bash:

I myself cannot stand Green Day, they are sell outs. Early stuff like dukie was good, but the new stuff is horrable. They can't play instrements, Billy Joe is in love with Power Cords. He cannot sing or write a dicent lryic to save his life.

To me what happend is they relised that all of there proper fans were groing up and not intrested, so they sold out to the 'emo' side, to attract new fans. As for the Political stance, they are only doing it to sell records and the sad thing is that people are falling for it.
:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Meshuggah, Machine Head, Five Pointe O, Killswitch Engage, Pearl Jam, In Flames, Fear Factory, Mushroomhead, The Sisters of Mercy and many others satisfy my musical needs 99% of the time.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Green Day - Time of your Life

This song will be remembered and played for a long long time.

the ironic thing behind this song, is that people often have it played at their funeral...the meaing of the song is not 'happy, hope you had the time of your life'...it's 'i'm glad you're gone and dead you SOB'. so yeah, people often don't care about the meaning...and it passes a lot of people, just because the song says 'hope you had the time of your life'. from this i'm just showing that green day are often misinterpreted, especially that song.

sure they're nothing like they were when they wrote when i come around or basket case, and a long way from 2000 light years away, but would you really want them to try and remake and rewrite those songs...i wouldn't. i'd prefer them to try something new, and if pop-punk, with punk attitude songs like american idiot is what they write now, then that's good. their politcal attitude isn't really aimed at people who can vote...it's the people who can't yet vote. billie joe is trying to get the message across, that when they're able to vote, don't waste it. ''you have the power to elect these politicians in to government''. as for the album american idiot, it's a melodic piece of artwork, simple as. if you don't like it, you've either got something against the band, what they stand for, or you just don't know what 'music' is. if you dislike any music, you're not a music fan or a music lover, hence your opinion stinks worse than the secrets behind 9/11. the only music you're allowed to dislike is 'pop' which is not music, it's a product.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Their musician-ship is amateurish. Their timing isn't that great. This is one of the hallmarks of a studio band that isn't used to playing a lot of 3 hour sets.

actually green day are pretty much the tightest, and best live rock band around at the moment. you obviously don't 'know' what green day sound like live.

Although their credits list Billie Joe as the author of the vast majority of the songs, I suspect a lot of it of being lifted from British punk bands from the later half of the Punk era, that Americans are not that familiar with. I suspect that a lot of the "creativity" is actually coming from studio techs who know a good punk riff or two.

boulevard of broken dreams sounds like wonderwall. waiting sounds like a song called 'downtown'. warning has a riff that sounds like a kinks song. but billie joe is creative enough to make a song sound similar, without ripping it off. he knows what people like, and he's able to put that on paper, and then turn it to music...that's creative. anyone who says otherwise, doesn't know what they're talking about.

Originally posted by xeroxed88
That's marketing, my man. Their record label probably knew the album wouldn't sell on it's own, so they changed the look of the band to appeal to the latest "craze", which is obviously 'emo'.

actually if you knew anything at all, you would know green day split with their record company before american idiot.

They probably even pay the radio stations and music video channels to overplay Green Day.

doubtful that they are payed to play green day songs. but they are overplayed. hence, why people on here feel as though the songs are 'overplayed'. american idiot came out september 2004...it's now january 2006 and it's still being played, which is too long in my eyes. one year is about the time you want an album out there...anything over is too long.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join