It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marrietta F-22 Photos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Caught a few shots of the F-22 last Friday as it was doing touch and go's. The Raptor was accompanied by an F-16 chase plane. I occasionally see the F-22 flying in the area.

The F-22 doesn't have its final paint job and you can see more of the embedded antenna/radar panels. Apologize that the last shot is so grainy but I had to zoom image because the A/C was about 3/4 mile out when photo was taken.

Enjoy, I'll try to get more as time allows.

external image

external image

external image

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Exellent pictures my friend... the plane shore is nice... Not just as good looking as the F/A-18 but still...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Isnt Australia discussing about the F/A-22 Raptor as thier F-111 Replacement?

They even want the JSF too.

www.ausairpower.net...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I've heard that to, however I just wonder how the Aussies would pay for it. I mean they only spend about $10 billion on defense every year.

first.sipri.org...

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Very nice photos!!!! I've never seen it in desert colours before!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno

www.ausairpower.net...

Very strange... In my opinion they wouldn't do anything with them, It's a good plane but their F/A-18 are working fine to protect the country...

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
The F/A-18s of the RAAF are now getting quite old and a replacement is being sought. I think the hot favourite to replace it is the F-35 (dependintg how that programme pans out). I am pretty certain that Australia could not even consider buying the F/A-22. It is just so hugely expensive that the RAAF could not afford to buy the airframes let alone operate a suitably large force of them.

I reckon the only countriues able to even contemplate operating the Raptor are Japan and Saudi Arabia, everyone else is just dreaming about it.

As far as the Aussies go, IF the F-35 didn't work out I reckon the hot favourite for them would be the Dassault Rafale. The Typhoon is the better fighter but the Rafale is smaller and cheaper while not being too far short on ability, possibly the best compromiose for the RAAF as it would give them not only a good modern fighter but also allow them to operate them in sufficient numbers. In fact I don't know why they didn't buy the Rfale in the first place.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno

The plans to buy the F/A-22s were dropped I believe. Thank god.

Australia has a deal to obtain 100 JSFs by 2012.

Originally posted by danwild6
I've heard that to, however I just wonder how the Aussies would pay for it. I mean they only spend about $10 billion on defense every year.

No, $16.65 Billion as of 2004.
2005 I'm not sure, probably $17 Billion.

BTW. "The SIPRI Military Expenditure Database" is one of the more inaccurate ones out there.

For countries like USA, China, Russia they are tens of Billions of $ off.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by clashrock

I was going to put you straight, then I realised you were having a laugh, DOH!

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

Originally posted by clashrock

I was going to put you straight, then I realised you were having a laugh, DOH!

hehe
.... it still looks mighty fine even without a proper paint job

[edit on 20-11-2005 by clashrock]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I have certainly seen F-22's in this color scheme often, this example had a very unfinished appearance as seen by the eye particularly when banked showing the planform. Most F-22's I've seen flying in the area have the gray scheme, a few times they have been in what appears to be primer (medium brown rather than tan).

As far as I'm aware these photos are the only existing member submitted photos of an airborne F-22.

One of the things I've noticed with the F-22 is its unique sound.

I work with-in 1000 feet of turn two on the left pattern for Dobbins ARB and there are many F-18's on an almost daily basis. The F-18's are very loud especially when making throttle adjustments in the pattern.

The F-22 on the otherhand has a deeper whine at a much lower frequency than other A/C without the extreme booming sound on throttle changes more common to A/C with normal engine exhaust outlets.

Its easy to tell that the "22" is up before actually seeing it.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Australia may not get the F/A-22 this time now but much later when/if they get sold off to other NATO countries.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
when they get sold off?
thanks i needed a laugh. The US Airforce is fighting to get them from the goverment right now. its funny to think of the US Airforce selling em at this point or even in the next 40 years.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
when they get sold off?
thanks i needed a laugh. The US Airforce is fighting to get them from the goverment right now. its funny to think of the US Airforce selling em at this point or even in the next 40 years.

Actually I would disagree a bit. The USAF will not sell them now, but a decade from now?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it available to the UK (though obviously they have the Typhoon), Australia, and maybe Japan.

NR

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
That F-22 would look good especially on IRIAF colors and markings! You guys should use the F-22 again with Indias Su-30MKI and we'll see how it fights its way with Sukhoi fighters.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I can't see it AMM, for instance when the RAF was looking for an F-4 replacement in 1975 the only US fighter that met all our needs was the F-14. Because of the sheer expense of it we built a 'mini F-14' instead that we could afford, the Tornado F.3. The UK, in common with almost every other country except, maybe, Saudi Arabia and Japan, will never be able to afford to buy and operate the F-22. Even as the technology ages and the cost comes down it will be more cost effective to incorporate this into a smaller cheaper aircraft. Not only is it expensive, it is also, for us at least, unnecessarily big.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I can't see it AMM, for instance when the RAF was looking for an F-4 replacement in 1975 the only US fighter that met all our needs was the F-14. Because of the sheer expense of it we built a 'mini F-14' instead that we could afford, the Tornado F.3. The UK, in common with almost every other country except, maybe, Saudi Arabia and Japan, will never be able to afford to buy and operate the F-22. Even as the technology ages and the cost comes down it will be more cost effective to incorporate this into a smaller cheaper aircraft. Not only is it expensive, it is also, for us at least, unnecessarily big.

Like I said, I could see it available to a few nations - that doesn't mean they would buy it. (especially the UK, since they have the Typhoon and all).

Frankly, I think it makes the most sense for australia, as it has great legs and the high cruising speed needed for the huge distances of the country.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak

No, $16.65 Billion as of 2004.
2005 I'm not sure, probably $17 Billion.

BTW. "The SIPRI Military Expenditure Database" is one of the more inaccurate ones out there.

For countries like USA, China, Russia they are tens of Billions of $ off.

Sorry I was quoting in American dollars. Oh and if you have links to more accurate info it would be much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Sorry I was quoting in American dollars. Oh and if you have links to more accurate info it would be much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure 16.65 is USD.

If you have a look at the CIA world factbook, it SHOULD display eevrything in USD, and on their budget page, it says Australia is spending $16.65B, so does it on wikipedia.

But maybe you're right, does anyone know for sure?

[edit on 21-11-2005 by Manincloak]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Sweet
It's good to see what our money has been spent on. The F-22 is going to be one heck of a surprize when it drop in on a Mig's 6. I would not like to be in the pilots seat of the Mig in a one-on-one.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join