It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Source: Pentagon to Kill Air Force F-35 Version

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
The effect that this will have on the partispating countries is huge.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Politicians here in Holland have complained about low return-on-investment of the F-35 Program. The government and Dutch companies have invested almost a billion euro's into the program. If the USAF cancels it's order, the price will deffinately go up.
Our government already decided to buy the F-35's in batches, instead of one big order. The plan was to buy a total of 85 F-35A's, that number could significantly drop.
They should have bought the Gripen...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe

Originally posted by Canada_EH
The effect that this will have on the partispating countries is huge.

The plan was to buy a total of 85 F-35A's, that number could significantly drop.
They should have bought the Gripen...

Agreed Zion the effects are huge and I think as everyday goes by I like the idea that our Gov's should of went for something that wasn't from the US. The F-35 is subject to so much uncertinity and still needs to be developed etc. The Gripen was there ready and still a good bit above what at least Canada has right now.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I was just reading this interesting article on the RAAF's fighter selection program back in the late 70s/early 80s.

www.boeing.com.au...

The F-18L was a likely candidate but it was dumped because it was deemed too risky to buy if noone else would buy it. If the US dumps the F-35 everyone else will probably drop like flies.

At least they were more cautious about ordering aircraft back then, deciding to wait a while until something better came along! These days the RAAF bought into the F-35 far too quickly, they learn't nothing from their past mistakes I see

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
They're not dropping the F-35, or even the Air Force version of it. They're still buying all the F-35s for the other service, they're just delaying the USAF version.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
well, i have returned....anyway dont worry i wont be here for much time

is obvious that the 35 is the "real bussiness" for the lockhed, not like the f22 that is a cask without bottom, im more worried in the rising costs in the proyect, now with a cut in the airframes -something sooooo obvious-, the costs will arise, so i dont know how competitive could be the 35 in the international market.

other thing is that the 35 was the multiplicater factor in bvr air combat, with few f22s in the air and operational, the 35s should have done the missiles plataforms for a effective bvr combat that have a lot to do with the number of missiles launched, now without these plataforms to cover better the theatre, hmmm.....

as how the things goes i wont be surprised if the 22s get their cancellation

[edit on 22-11-2005 by grunt2]

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It is expected that U.S. Deputy Def Sec Gordon England will propose to kill the Air Force variant of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter in order to fund more F/A-22 Raptors and instead direct the USAF to buy the Navy's carrier variant (CV).

While I am all for getting more Raptors this is a bad move no matter how you look at it.

It is not going to save any money, just displace the spending of the money further down the acquisition timeline and will end up costing more because the carrier variant is more expensive, the Navy's variant is also heavier and is potentially less of a performer than the CTOL variant.

Additionally....

Loren Thompson, chief operating officer of the Lexington Institute states that;
" Killing the CTOL variant also would "enrage" several U.S. allies who have been planning to buy the CTOL variant and have contributed billions of dollars to JSF's development..."
"Eliminating it (the CTOL variant) means walking away from the global aircraft markets that America has dominated for two generations..."

Present plans (Gordon England's proposal notwithstanding) call for the USAF to acquire 1,763 F-35s, although the USAF has proposed trimming the budget by anywhere forom 200-600 aircraft. The Marine Corps and Navy would get a total of 680 jets, with the Marine Corps getting its own short-takeoff-and-vertical-landing (STOVL) version.

On the week of Dec. 5 2005 in Baltimore, MD officials from the US and the F-35's 8 foreign partners are scheduled to have the final round of negotiations on an agreement that will, among other things, indicate the number of aircraft each country will buy.

Considering Gordon England's proposal, this meeting is sure to be an "interesting" exchange of ideas...

Sources:
"Raptor May Shoot Down JSF Production", Aviation Week & Space Technology 11/14/2005

"USAF's JSF Variant May Be Killed", Aerospace Daily & Defense Report, 11/21/2005

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The US has a lot of F-16 thru our the country...and I was under the assumption that the f-35A was going to replace all of them...which would (should) make it very important for the USAF, and of course the other countries who want it as well.

so I dont think it will get cancelled.....its numbers will probably fall in the years to come, but I dont see it getting cancelled.

heres a cool pic of the countries getting the JSF.

Hi-Res

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think F/A-18EF suck eggs! The US Navy NEEDS a manned stealth attack aircraft! The problem is, they have no trust in single engine aircraft. I agree with them on that. Whose idea was it to have the JSF have only one engine! It was that way from the beginning way back in the 1993/94 JAST study. I think the f-35 will be a POS! The Air Force should get rid of both the F-22 and the F-35 and come up with a two engine long range stealth attack aircraft that maybe the Navy would also be interested in.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
i hope O'bama cuts both programs.
I worked at Lockheed for 14 years and it is the most worthless
pile of # company ever created.
Adios asshole Lockheed !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join