It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

!Attention!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I didn't think that you were making it up, just that you were misinterpreting the stars. Now that I read coney's story, I think that we really do have something. But I myself misunderstood something: did the "stars" near Mercury and Saturn stay in that exact same spot in the sky, or relevant to Mercury and Saturn?

I'll check my sky simulator software now, and I'll try to get back within 20 minutes of this post.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Nothin. This is a genuine grade-A mystery. I'll check it out tonight if the clouds aren't around with my telescope for anything unusual. I'll even shoot for a very high power view of Capella, which I thought it was. If I see anything fishy, I'll take a pic and upload it.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is where I saw them in regards to Venus, Saturn, Crescent Moon.

[key] ** means throbbing red 'star'.
# means throbbing blue/green/white 'star'
( means crescent moon (although, it's probably not in this exact place anymore)
v means venus (still in the same place as yesterday morning)
s means Saturn (still in the same place as yesterday morning)

[edit: DIAGRAM BELOW. ]

This is at about 5 in the morning. Last night (8pm) I got out my crappy 50x telescope to look at the 'stars', and sho'nuf, at 5am this morning, those things were in the same place as when I went to bed.

Baffling.

Here's the weird thing. They start out as part of Orion. But Orion moves across the sky eventually, these do not. They are still there in the morning.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by coney]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

[key] ** means throbbing red 'star'.
# means throbbing blue/green/white 'star'
( means crescent moon (although, it's probably not in this exact place anymore)
v means venus (still in the same place as yesterday morning)
s means Saturn (still in the same place as yesterday morning)

[edit on 11-11-2004 by coney]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
very interesting me and a friend witnessed something with striking similarities one night this past summer. it was not very close to the horizon I would estimate between 30-45 degress. it appeared to be stationary but looked extremely close and it was not mars as i located mars that night. it changed colors like described. also it moved creepily around. almost so slow i couldn't tell but it wasn't in a set directing. it looked sometimes to drift left then right then maybe up or down almost like hovering in the sky. the object remained for a long period of time and did not ever seem to move significantly from the original place of observation. it merely drifted around in the same spot.

maybe this is helpfull to someone as it may posibly be the same object discussed in this post

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sorry, it's Jupiter and Venus you're seeing, not Saturn. Tonight is the first clear night I've had in about a week, and I'm taking my telescope out to the country for a better view with less light pollution. Try to get back to you tomorrow, everybody.

[edit on 11/11/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

** means the star Arcturus
# means the star Spica
( means crescent moon
v means Venus
s means Jupiter

EDIT: I just found this thread, I'll get to the other "objects" shortly. Usually things like this are in the Space Exploration forum...

[edit on 11/11/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's not Arcturus, and the other one isn't Spica. I know perfectly well where these stars are in the night sky (I'm an astronomer) and those two aren't even near that spot. Those stars aren't even, in relation to eachother, in that position.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
It's not Arcturus, and the other one isn't Spica. I know perfectly well where these stars are in the night sky (I'm an astronomer) and those two aren't even near that spot. Those stars aren't even, in relation to eachother, in that position.

Umm... wake up between 5 AM and 6 AM, look east. And I'm an astronomer as well, teach astronomy at Eastern Michigan University, and (as a bonus) am FSME for the Space Explorarion forum here on ATS. So it's not a matter of credentials, but a matter of knowledge.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
A composite of Starry Night images...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Just to prove that my version of Starry Night is better than yours, a screenshot of that exact same view. It's Starry Night Pro 4.5.2, and I'm upgrading to 5.0 soon.

And I'm sorry for saying that they were not that closely related. I only study the northern portion of the northern hemisphere! But now I guess that I should expand my horizons (pun intended) and check up on what's behind me.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
DAM you all and your stary night pro! im using stary night beginer but i have my

SKY ATLAS 2000! and my 10 inch dob light bucket and 4 years of experience!

GWAHAHAHAHA ill check it out myself i was out the other morning having my breakfast....... and tea with my telsecope watching jupiter.... and saturn.... and venus........ and pleaides but i noticed nothing unusual either although i did have alot of tony cacheries on thoes eggs.....

seirously though im intrested ill chek it out this weekend after this cool front comes through cold air= clear stable skys

but at first it sounded like a raido tower but i know people cant be that dumb then i just thought it was light distrotion

but what do i know im just an amature! hahaha o and when im watching the leonids ill chek too

theres nothing more that i enjoy than hot tea some good respighi classical music and a meteor shower. ah the greatness

but seirously again the thing i find so intresting about this is the fact that they have been spoting these objects in teh smae places for about a year and thats not normal

mabye they are seeing the orion nebula too it can have a strange look to the un-informed eye
i duno

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Mizar]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Why is Venus appearing larger than the MOON?

Er, I don't think so. Not in my lifetime.

[shrug]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
its just the software

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Stupid question

Why is Venus appearing larger than the MOON?

Er, I don't think so. Not in my lifetime.

[shrug]

It doesn't appear that way in my screenshot... I think you only looked at the other guy's pic.

Btw, do you like my new avatar?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
hmmmmm......

i turned on my stary night software and set my time for
6 30 am. In my area tommorw moring

now considering the time frame that they have givein us between october 2003- now. I see on my software comet linear in teh near are they are describing in the pictures above. could they have simple been spoting the 3 bright comets we have had pass in the past year?

or mabye its castor pollux anf prycon?

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Mizar]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I can't tell if this has been settled yet, or not?
What is the verdict?

Cmndrkeenkid will be serving "fresh" Haggis, if this gets solved..And I am hungry.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Mizar: The comet idea isn't possible, because they are all less than magnitude 7 by now. That's beyond the visual limit under exceptional circumtsances.

E_T

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
There are lot of plans for using high flying solar powered ultra light aircrafts and/or airships for base of wireless communication network in disaster areas (earthquakes, hurricanes...).
These same ones could be easily converted for (Sig)Int job.

But if those objects stay pretty stationary for many hours/whole nights when compared to stars that doesn't fit to "the picture".

Originally posted by airfoil
yes! i have been seeing this/these object(s) for a long time. i first noticed one about four years ago...
in addition to this, multiple examples of them can be more easily seen on holidays and events of national/international significance such as the fourth of july and christmas.
Well, aren't there fighter patrols above/near bigger cities in those days?
When seen from long distance fighters staying in position might look almost stationary.

Originally posted by baked
Also Saturn is self lit.....It puts more light out in to space than it takes in from the sun...
Only if you see in IR, in astronomy radiation means much more than visible light.
And also other planets can be seen at day if you know where to look.
Just correction, even if this isn't space forum.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
yea i know but if the guy is liiving near the artic circle even 5th mag would be eaisly visible and liner is still about 5-6 thats what just gave the idea i didnt think it would hold water anyway

o well

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join