It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Top Level Security To Protect Rumsfelds Australian Tour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Several main streets in the capital city of Adelaide will tomorrow be locked down for the visit of US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. Protesters have been pre-warned that they will be arrested if they protest and do not leave the area when told to by police. Secret service officials from the US and Canberra have been scouring the city for the last 6 months in preparation and all SA Police people preparing on going on long service leave have been asked to withhold until the Rumsfeld visit.

www.theadvertiser.news.com.au
KEY sections of Adelaide will be virtually locked down as part of a massive security operation to protect U.S. Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld later this month. The two-day visit will result in areas around the Hyatt Hotel and the Town Hall declared no-go zones amid fears of ugly anti-Iraq war protests.

It is likely sections of North Tce and King William St will be fenced off to keep the thousands of expected protesters away from both sites. An advance team of U.S. Secret Service and Embassy officials from Canberra have already been in Adelaide inspecting preparations and details of the security operation for Mr Rumsfeld's visit. Planning for the huge operation has been under way for the past six months with many sections of SAPOL having annual leave cancelled to ensure adequate resources are available. Although there is no intelligence to suggest a threat, SA police are well aware Mr Rumsfeld is one of the world's top terrorist targets.

Police are expecting anti-war protesters to converge on Adelaide for the event, but intelligence sources have not yet indicated numbers. "A No-War demonstration last year attracted 10,000 people. You may get numbers like that, but you may only get a few hundred".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it's ridiculous. This is an in-your-face piece of key evidence of how free speech no longer exists and the big bullying gang of government will proceed to arrest you for speaking out. Even though there have been tens of thousands of Adelaide people protesting against the Iraq war the government chooses to ignore these democratic expressions and literally and physically 'run away' from protesters and their opinions (as mentioned in the article, with all government officials being locked out of their offices and being given the day off). The reason why people like Rumsfeld choose to ignore the mass protests is because they EVIDENTLY have their own agenda, and don't care about the people's. Novus Ordo Seclorum baby.

Related News Links:
www.greenleft.org.au
www.stopwarcoalition.org

[edit on 15-11-2005 by sugeshotcha]

[edit on 15-11-2005 by sugeshotcha]

[edit on 11/15/05 by FredT]

[edit on 16-11-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I think it would reflect poorly on the nation of Australia if the US Secretary of Defense were to be assassinated while attending a state function. I don't think that it is unreasonable for the authorities to request some accommodation by the general public. It sounds to me like everyone has been forwarned.

theadvertiser

Although there is no intelligence to suggest a threat, SA police are well aware Mr Rumsfeld is one of the world's top terrorist targets.

Mr Rumsfeld, deputy U.S. Secretary of State Bob Zoellick and a senior U.S. army general are visiting Adelaide for Ausmin - the Australia-United States Ministerial Meeting - on November 17 and 18.

It will be attended by a host of Federal Government representatives including Defence Minister Robert Hill and Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer. SA police are in command of the security operation to protect the entourage, with the assistance of federal police and Australia's intelligence agencies.

Mr Rumsfeld will fly into Adelaide in his own U.S. air force plane, complete with a large secret service detail.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
I think it's ridiculous. This is an in-your-face piece of key evidence of how free speech no longer exists and the big bullying gang of government will proceed to arrest you for speaking out. Even though there have been tens of thousands of Adelaide people protesting against the Iraq war the government chooses to ignore these democratic expressions and literally and physically 'run away' from protesters and their opinions (as mentioned in the article,.

How did increased security for a high-level conference take away your freedom of speech?

Remember, freedom of speeech does not include the duty of the gov't. or anybody, to listen to you.

with all government officials being locked out of their offices and being given the day off

No, it offered them the day off if they didn't want to deal with the protesters. There's a big difference. And, I think it was a nice gesture.

The reason why people like Rumsfeld choose to ignore the mass protests is because they EVIDENTLY have their own agenda, and don't care about the people's. Novus Ordo Seclorum baby.

No, it is because he cannot and will not allow protestors to dictate when and where he will go.

Increased security is a given when top-level officials visit. As a matter of fact, increased security is necessary for some gov't officials to show their face in their own country.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This submission has been screwed up. The author needs to add back the "(submission) (news) " to the title so it can be voted on properly.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I understand the need for security and I understand the need for protest when things go wrong. A happy medium would be nice. Grady's right, if good old rumsfeld was assassinated on our soil it would be bad bad for us and the "free world". The right to protest should not be taken away completely though, I don't see why they can't set aside a place where protesters are allowed to protest, like a stadium nearby or something that doesn't upset the status quo but still allows the free speech.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Lets face it, Rumsfeld is not welcome here. If he was they wouldnt have to cordon off Adelaide's CBD. He should take the hint and not bother showing his evil face here.

Australians should have their right to protest left intact. Like May said, there should be an area where the protestors voice can be heard and SEEN. Rumsfeld and the moronic Australian government who invited him here should know that they are working outside the consent and mandate of the public.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Now, now, subz. The Secretary of Defense is there by invitation of your government. The least you can do is show some respect for the guests in your country who are your allies.

heraldsun

US Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld will visit Australia this week to discuss a host of issues ranging from free trade to bird flu.

Mr Rumsfeld will be joined by his deputy, Robert Zoellick.
They are to meet their Australian counterparts in Adelaide tomorrow and on Friday.

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer and Defence Minister Robert Hill will take part.

"The US has no closer alliance partner than Australia," Mr Zoellick said in a statement.

"Our special partnership is built on the solid foundation of common values and our shared commitment to a free, secure, and prosperous world."

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Now, now, subz. The Secretary of Defense is there by invitation of your government. The least you can do is show some respect for the guests in your country who are your allies.

I never said he wasn't invited, I said he wasn't welcome. America is our ally, but not the Bush administration. I think there has been no greater strain placed on America's relationship with her allies than the Bush administration.

And I do believe I said myself that he was invited, I guess reading is too much to ask for.

Originally posted by subz
Rumsfeld and the moronic Australian government who invited him here

The likes of Sec Def Rumsfeld are nothing but old hawk hacks who are out to line their own pockets. Just because our corrupt and morally bankrupt regime invited another corrupt and morally bankrupt shill to our shores does not mean we will extend our famous hospitality and friendliness to him.

[edit on 16/11/05 by subz]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   

"Our special partnership is built on the solid foundation of common values and our shared commitment to a free, secure, and prosperous world."

pfffft

If death is a concern maybe he should just stay where he is

That would more than likely trigger a more positive reaction from the people

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
The right to protest should not be taken away completely though, I don't see why they can't set aside a place where protesters are allowed to protest, like a stadium nearby or something that doesn't upset the status quo but still allows the free speech.

It's just poor planning if they haven't set aside an area for the protestors to gather.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
I think it's ridiculous. This is an in-your-face piece of key evidence of how free speech no longer exists and the big bullying gang of government will proceed to arrest you for speaking out. Even though there have been tens of thousands of Adelaide people protesting against the Iraq war the government chooses to ignore these democratic expressions and literally and physically 'run away' from protesters and their opinions (as mentioned in the article,.

How did increased security for a high-level conference take away your freedom of speech?

Remember, freedom of speeech does not include the duty of the gov't. or anybody, to listen to you.

with all government officials being locked out of their offices and being given the day off

No, it offered them the day off if they didn't want to deal with the protesters. There's a big difference. And, I think it was a nice gesture.

The reason why people like Rumsfeld choose to ignore the mass protests is because they EVIDENTLY have their own agenda, and don't care about the people's. Novus Ordo Seclorum baby.

No, it is because he cannot and will not allow protestors to dictate when and where he will go.

Increased security is a given when top-level officials visit. As a matter of fact, increased security is necessary for some gov't officials to show their face in their own country.

No, the government is saying protestors will be arrested if they protest. That violates freedom of speech.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Also, Rumsfeld considered a 'war criminal' by many, for numerous international criminal acts committed by himself, is not welcome in Adelaide. He is one of the key illuminati puppets who gives the president permission to go to war (begin take over of the middle east, and re-lighting the 21st version of the Crusades) and originator of the mirror image tyrant orwellian laws (in the name of anti-terrorism), which John Howard subsequently passes through his majority of power upper and lower house in parliament. Working in the far lower echelons of the illuminati pyramid structure of power like us common citizens (journalists, lawyers, marketing salespeople) do these trickerous professionals to make a living and are more so indirectly responsible for their outcomes, whereas people like Donald Rumsfeld are directly responsible for outcomes of mass murder, torture and other things too numerous to mention, by deciding whether to sign on the dotted line or not. Lol. Whilst Rumsfeld was formerly on the board of a company he sold nuclear parts to North Korea, and know he condemns them as terrorists and plants to invade them. Just like the US government sold the Weapons of Mass Destruction (which he used to invade Iraq in the last few years) to Saddam Hussein. Donald Rumsfeld: A man who as CEO of Searle pharmaceutical corporation got his staff to go and work for the FDA to enable the production of a known carcinogen and neurotoxic poison named Aspartame which the FDA had rejected for approval. (And which Australian products disguise and only label as 951 and is in the majority of chewing gum and fresh breath products)

[edit on 17-11-2005 by sugeshotcha]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hit the blue "ATSNN Confirm Status" button at the top left of this page and it should update it for you. I think because you edited the "(submission)" from your title it stuffed up the process as FredT and Nerdling had to edit it for you.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
The latest update on this thread was that police have given in to public outcry and allowed protestors to protest on the footsteps of parliament house in a controlled protest. Different streets have been closed off at different times of the day, and a police helicopter has been circling above my suburbs and the adjoining 3 for the last 4 hours. Rumsfeld went to a meeting in my adjoining suburb today so this could be why. Also, the helicopter is probably trying to determine how many protesting groups there are and film and identify and possible riots or damage that they may do, which police have been afraid of.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

from sugeshotcha
No, the government is saying protestors will be arrested if they protest. That violates freedom of speech.

I went back and re-read the article, and could not see where the gov't said that. I see where you said it in your introductory paragraph, but that's all.

If the police have a security zone cordoned off where they do not want protestors to gather, then you must respect that. It still does not take away your free speech; you can go down to the ballpark and protest. You must ask yourself: what is more important,your right to protest, or your right to try to antagonize Mr. Rumsfeld? Believe me, your little protest would not faze him in the least. He did not rise to the position of Secretary of Defense, USA, by being thin-skinned or afraid.

top topics

join