It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lifestraw---one of the best inventions ever.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
millions of people die every year because of no fresh drinking water and drinking water diseases......In a couple years that number could be reduced to mere thousands.

The Lifestraw is an invention that basically is a large straw and when you suck on it the water passes through filters out 99.3% of bacteria and viruses.

Its not the old "teach a man to fish" type of thinking, but the reason that it will have a very bright future is because it only costs $5, and is small enough to be worn around the neck, and can filter up to 185 gallons of water, which is enough water for 1 person 1 year.

It would be great for poor counties, or countries that have just being hit with a natural disaster. It will hit US shelves around the 07' hurricane season.

LifeStraw

Invention of the century?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yay! I was wondering if anyone had posted about these. What a great, simple and effective invention. These should eventually be in everyone's home, IMO.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
that is an awsome step in ending world hunger
jeff

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeuathemovies
jeff

- you cant eat the straw...so I think you meant thirst.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
ur right with that water is easier to drink.... but it wont clean foreign particles ie dirt and junk correct ?

Originally posted by Murcielago

Originally posted by seeuathemovies
jeff

- you cant eat the straw...so I think you meant thirst.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Wow that would have to rank as one of the best inventions ive ever heard of...as you say not only for the third world but for use in disaster zones.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Ya think they can hussle things up a bit?? We still got the Hurricane Season of '06 to worry about!! And of course, the Typhoon Season of '06 this coming Spring.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I saw this in Pop Sci today. I am glad that someone decided to do something for the world.
congratulations, because they could have easily gotten away with charging 40 dollars a pop.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The military applications are obvious and keeping one of these in your gear is probably better than trying to keep an adequate supply of halizone tablets. Of course, don't forget those jaunts down Mexico way.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
thats great, think how many lives will be saved, and all from something quite small and non electrical, imagine all the things they can create with something electrical eh

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Absolutely Brilliant!

As you said, not just great for third world countries where access to clean water is scarce. But also great for many other useses inlcuding disaster zones and eventually this could have a real worldwide impact. Though I hope soon.

But, dosen't everyone feel stupid for not thinking of it first? I know I do.

[edit on 22-11-2005 by ekul08]

[edit on 22-11-2005 by ekul08]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Wonderful find.

So at $5 each it would take $5 billion dollars to give the 1 billion people who don't have access to clean water a years personal fresh supply? When we hear about the telephone number budgets of some of the more deplorable things our governments spend money on I hope this can get things moving in the right direction.

Great find once again!

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think that this a great thing. If you can stop deaths its great, but personally, i do think that even with all these deaths, the world is still too crowded...

Im not saying just kill a bunch of people but still the world doesnt have enough room to fit an infinant ammount of people on it. Population control, Something has to happen. Were trying to make humans invincible, if we do this (im sure someone will find a way) then the world will become overcrowded a lot faster than it already is.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Anyone actually selling them yet? I'd like to add this to my survival kit.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Not sure if I would bother with this in their shoes, rather just boil my water....
Now some kind of 'foodstraw' which sucked nutrition out of dirt, now that would be a lifesaver...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

The Lifestraw is an invention that basically is a large straw and when you suck on it the water passes through filters out 99.3% of bacteria and viruses.

That remaining 0.7% of bacteria and viruses is pretty darn deadly in itself- considering they will be ingested- the source you use the straw on is still extremely important. But yes it does help the odds a bit does it not to cut the percentages that much.

Even if it bumped the cost of this device up to $10 each there is much better filter technology available and we should as a world be pushing for this world wide.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Not sure if I would bother with this in their shoes, rather just boil my water....

your kidding.....right?

boiled water isn't even this pure...not to mention if your thirsy you would need to build a fire and wait for the water to boil, and then let it cool down to luke warm before you can even drink it. The lifestraw you can wear around your neck, and whenever your thrisy, you can drink pure fresh water from any dirty water source.

godservant - yeah, I think tens of millions will buy a few of these for their homes just in case of an emergency. But no, you wont be able to pick one up for 1-2 years.

about population...you do have a point there...population control is key, and in modern countries thats how it is, but the problem area is the very poor countries like Africa, which is tons of people with no money and they keep having kids because theres nothing else for them to do, and they dont have the option for protection, which is also why aids is rampant there,and the lifestraw will no doubt help people there life a better healthier life...but still...places like that need to kick it into gear and try and become a place where a government can grow, and only that will be able to slow the people makin pace.

[edit on 22-11-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This sounds like a great invention that can do a lot of good for the world. But are they, or are they going to be, available to the general public for purchase? I went to their website but couldn't find any information about ordering any. I'm not sure if they're available yet. Someone talked about it being a good idea to keep one in your gear, and I agree.

If anyone knows how to get a hold of one of these without being a starving African, please let us know!

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
not the EXACT same item, and twice the price but very close can be found here:

www.cabelas.com... MainCatcat20075

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It looks like it's an activated carbon filter.. just like brita and etc.

Not sure what's so incredible about this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join