It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests against India-US air exercise 'Cope India'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Hundreds of leftists vowed to paralyse the airports of Calcutta, Bagdogra and Kalaikunda.

"We will lay siege to Kalaikunda, where the exercises take place," said Anil Biswas, state organisation chief of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) that leads West Bengal's ruling leftist coalition.

"We are against air exercises with the United States. Such a move will also jeopardise our national security. Millions will rise in protests."

The BBC's Subir Bhaumik in Calcutta says the US air force will be flying in F-16 fighters from Misawa in Japan and the Indians will use fighters of both Russian and Western origin for the exercises, called "Cope India".

Indian Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee said the exercises would go ahead without interruption.

I can't see why they are protesting or how this can affect India's security, if anything it will increase it. Dont these left wing hippies have anything better to do than protest a little air exercise?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yeah that sounds a little extreme to me. I don't think it would be wise either to lay siege to where air excercises are talking place. I mean come on they're flying F-16s and the protestors are probably throwing rocks. And what do they have against America anyway. America has never done anything but help these people.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
america hasn't helped these people..I don't know what you mean by help..
These guys are commies..And they're protesting the presence of the US military personnel on an Indian airbase as a possible breach of national security..
The protests are peaceful..
And note that the commies are a major part of the Indian coalition that is ruling right now..
Note that the coalition is elected democratically..
Some of these guys have been shot at by F-86 sabres in the 65 and 71 wars..
Maybe they're still pissed at that!

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Daedalus3]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nathabeanz
And what do they have against America anyway. America has never done anything but help these people.

You mean like Bhopal: en.wikipedia.org...

or maybe Coca Cola: www.indiaresource.org...

Your right. What possible grudges could they hold.

brill

top topics

join