It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming began over 5,000 years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Shanghai Daily/ Xinhua

A SINO-AMERICAN team of scientists has disputed the traditional thinking that global warming, partly resulting from excessive timber cutting, is a relatively recent modern phenomenon — they argue it's at least 5,000 years old.

It is widely believed today that excessive carbon dioxide in the air caused by too much lumbering contributes to global warming through greenhouse effects.

That may be so, but a team of Chinese and American archeologists says the greenhouse effect started about 5,000 years ago, much earlier than believed.

The team's conclusion is based on research on relics excavated from the ruins of a Neolithic site in Rizhao City, east China's Shandong Province, over 10 years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Gee, what a suprise. Global warming is just a natural cycle, as I've said many times before. Still, its important to decrease CO2 emissions, as the pollute the air with other gasses that are produced by cars and industries.
And with peak Oil just around the corner switching from oil to solar/wind & hydrogen energy is probably not a bad idea either.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Erm... did the Chinese fail to ge the memo that the rest of us got, or is this simply a newspaper reporter's misinterpretation?

5,000 years ago, the Earth entered a climactic phase called the Hypsithermal, and yes, it was warmer. We knew that. It had a great impact on the Earth. www.geo.arizona.edu... (scroll down to 'subdivisions')

So I'm wondering why the Chinese don't know this (apparently) when the rest of the world does.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
As usual, you got it right, byrd

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.
What do you think about global warming, do you think mankind causes it, or do you think it's a natural cycle?

Looks like a cylce to me. Isn't it true that global warming will result in an ice age? If so, the current rise in temperature might be an indication of what is to come...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Since we know that the world has gone through cycles of cold and warm, and we also know that we have been industrial and post industrial for only a relatively short period of time, how could it be that we are the culprits?

Don't get me wrong; I have no rivers or streams that I would fish in, much LESS swim in nowadays, the Gulf of Mexico will soon be as dead as the North Sea and mental midgets are turning the beautiful, living natural forests into dead pine tree farms for a profit, but that doesn't mean that all eco-scare tactics are accurate.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The earth has been going through cycles of Global warming and Global cooling long before man was even on earth. They will also keep happening if man puts green house gas one into the air or not. Another Ice age will occur sooner or later no matter what humans do and it will be followed by Global warmer and the Ice Age will end. Its happened over and over again.

Earths climate is not static its very dynamic. Its sad but alot of people make it seem that man is the cause to any change in earths climate.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
of course there are natural cycles - no one disputes that.

the problem is that the current cycle is way out of proportion with the historical cycles. you decide.

new topics

top topics

join