It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq asks U.N. to let U.S.-led Coalition stay another year.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
On Monday, a letter to the United Nations from Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al Jafaari requested that the U.S. led coalition be given a mandate for another year in Iraq. The current mandate is scheduled to expire at the end of this year, and extending it through 2006 will require a Security Council resolution some time in the next eight weeks. The Iraqi government is also pushing for a clause that would allow them to terminate the mandate at any point during 2006.

Iraq asked the U.N. Security Council on Monday to let a U.S.-led multinational force remain in Iraq for another year, acknowledging its own troops could not yet assure national security.

The request came in a letter to the 15-nation council from Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari.

"This means that basically the mandate and the status of the multinational force will be discussed in the coming weeks so that from January 1, 2006, we will have a consistent military presence in Iraq as happened in the past," Mihai-Razvan Ungureanu, the foreign minister of Romania, the Security Council president for October, told reporters.

The multinational force's current mandate expires at the end of this year, under a resolution approved by the council in June 2004, when the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority turned over Iraq's administration to an interim government.

Extending the mandate through the end of 2006 will require the council to adopt a new resolution in the next two months.

Jaafari said the government in Baghdad wanted the right to terminate the mandate before the end of 2006 if it decided to do so. He also asked the council to agree to review the new mandate eight months after its approval or at any other time if asked to do so by Baghdad.

The reasoning seems to be:

"The Iraqi national security forces, which are increasing in size, capability and experience day after day, need more time to complete their ranks, training and equipment in order to take over the primary responsibility of providing adequate security for Iraqis"

Iraq asks U.N. to let U.S.-led force stay

Thoughts or comments?

Past related ATS topics:
Iraqi Army needs help big time!!!
Sunni Arabs Launch Political Campaign To Kick Out America

seekerof

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Of course they did! The success of the coalition is all but given. Just because we only see and hear about the bad things doesn’t mean huge strides aren’t being made and the Iraqi's support our involvement.

With the recent success with the referendum and the speed at which the ISF are coming together, they don’t want to risk these successes by having coalition forces leave too soon.

I can only imagine what Iran and Syria would attempt if the coalition were to leave too soon.

No surprise here at all Seeker, good post.

VIVA IRAQ!

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Thoughts or comments?

Yeah, I think Jafaari is just saying and doing what he is told to IMO. I'll never think that anything that comes out of that guys mouth is anything other than scripted.

Jaafari said the government in Baghdad wanted the right to terminate the mandate before the end of 2006 if it decided to do so.

This was skillful. It makes it seem more legitimate to the Iraqi people and the rest of the world.

Are there really people out there that think Jaafari isn't being told exactly what to say and do? I wouldn't go so far as to call him a complete tool, but he's definitely being guided.

Peace

[edit on 1-11-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Yeah, I think Jafaari is just saying and doing what he is told to IMO. I'll never think that anything that comes out of that guys mouth is anything other than scripted.

This was skillful. It makes it seem more legitimate to the Iraqi people and the rest of the world.

Are there really people out there that think Jaafari isn't being told exactly what to say and do? I wouldn't go so far as to call him a complete tool, but he's definitely being guided.

It's interesting because your attitude is that any country which is involved with the US is under the US's control.

Is it really that hard to believe that maybe, just maybe the MAJORITY of Iraqi people ARE happy with US forces there?

[edit on 1-11-2005 by ferretman]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm surprised to hear this from Jafaari.
I would expect something like this from Talabani, who is much more pro-US but Jafaari seemed to want the coalition out as soon as possible.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I would expect something like this from Talabani, who is much more pro-US but Jafaari seemed to want the coalition out as soon as possible.

And thank you for making that observation, AceOfBase, because that was my impression, as well, when I ran across the article mentioning such. What you mention, that I purposely left out, was something that I think many missed in relation to this article and what it implied.

Thank you again for the mention.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Yes there are Dr Love and I'm one of them. Jaafari has demonstrated his independence of thought and speech on more than one occassion in the past.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
So what does it mean when there are polls taken of the Iraqi public in which 82% of the Iraqi civilian population want the coalition out of the country? Was such a poll not accurate? Is the government of Iraq not repsonding to the will of the people it allegedly represents?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You can pretty much get any result you want, just by changing the way the sentence is worded.
For example.

Do you want the US out now?
Do you want the US to leave when Iraq is more secure?
Do you want the US to permanently stay in Iraq or leave?
Do you want the US to stay until things get better, then leave?

I can go on and on....

[edit on 1-11-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
So what does it mean when there are polls taken of the Iraqi public in which 82% of the Iraqi civilian population want the coalition out of the country? Was such a poll not accurate? Is the government of Iraq not repsonding to the will of the people it allegedly represents?

I think Westpoint had it right:

Originally posted by WestPoint23
You can pretty much get any result you want just by changing the way the sentence is worded.
For example.

Do you want the US out now?
Do you want the US to leave when Iraq is more secure?
Do you want the US to permanently stay in Iraq or leave?
Do you want the US to stay unlit things get better, then leave?

From everything I have heard from the people I know actually serving in Iraq, the Iraqi people - for the most part - like the US soldiers, and understand what we are doing there. They know they need us there for the short term.

Now, if you were to ask them "do you want US soldiers to stay in Iraq for ever", they will almost to a man say no. That can only be expected.

The US will be in Iraq - in gradually decreasing numbers - for at least 5 more years. However, I don't think we will ever leave completely. More likely, we wil keep a token force there to continue to assist the Iraqi government.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone

I've actually been there and I can tell you that they dont want us there, but know we need to be until they can fend for themselvs.

new topics

top topics

join