It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Harboring Al-Qaeda Leadership.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The German magazine Cicero has an article that cites Western Intelligence sources reporting that twenty five leading members of Al-Qaeda, including Osama Bin Laden's three sons, are being harbored in northern Iran.

Iran is providing refuge to around 25 leading members of the Al-Qaeda terror group including three of Osama bin Laden's sons, a German magazine reported.

Cicero magazine said Saad, Mohammed and Othman bin Laden as well as other Al-Qaeda members from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, north Africa and Europe were living in and around Tehran under the protection of Iran's Republican Guard.

Iran sheltering Bin Laden sons and Al-Qaeda members: report

Bear in mind that back in 2003, Iran stated that:

Iranian officials Thursday told a U.N. representative that Iran has several unnamed al Qaeda operatives in custody, CNN has learned. The acknowledgment comes as Washington has intensified its accusations that al Qaeda terrorists are inside Iran -- something Tehran had previously denied. U.S. officials said the key question is whether the al Qaeda operatives in custody are allowed to communicate and receive visitors.

Iran admits holding al Qaeda operatives

Further mentions in 2003 concerning Iran and Al-Qaeda:
Iran: We've Got Qaeda Bigs
Iran announces al-Qaeda arrests

Iran has said more than 1,000 members of al-Qaeda have been apprehended in the country since the Taleban regime collapsed in Afghanistan in 2001.

Apparently, in 2003, US Intelligence intercepts indicated as much, as well:

The official said the U.S. had intercepts for months prior to the bombings, which showed that senior Al Qaeda operatives in Iran were communicating with Al Qaeda...

The operatives had been in Iran for at least months, and came there after they fled Afghanistan during the U.S. military's attack aimed at toppling the Taliban government.

Tehran responded by asserting:

In Tehran, Iran's foreign minister insisted his country does not and would not shelter Al Qaeda terrorists, and even has jailed some members of Usama bin Laden's network and plans to prosecute them.

Intercepts Show Senior Al Qaeda in Iran Played Role in Saudi Bombings

Ironically, this is mentioned in the German magazine, Cicero, article:

"They are not under arrest or house arrest," the unnamed source told the respected monthly Cicero. "They can do what they like."

Iran sheltering Bin Laden sons and Al-Qaeda members: report

Furthermore, in 2005, MSNBC reported that Al-Qaeda's management council in Iran was communicating with Al-Qaeda cells in Saudi Arabia that had carried out the attacks on Western compounds in Riyadh. The same article also cited a list of operatives said to be harbored in Iran.

Somewhere north of Tehran, living perhaps in villas near the town of Chalous on the Caspian Sea coast, are between 20 and 25 of al-Qaida’s former leaders, along with two of Osama bin Laden’s sons.

Men such as Saif al-Adel, the former military commander of al-Qaida, and Suleiman Abu Ghaith, the bespectacled bin Laden spokesman, are not in hiding but rather in the care — or custody — of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.

The management council went west, to northern Iran, where the United States had little sway and the Iranians had little interest in pushing for their arrests. The group included al-Adel and abu Ghaith; Shaik Said, al-Qaida's chief financial officer; Abu Hafs, al-Qaida’s personnel director; the two top aides to Zawahiri; and a mysterious Yemeni, Abu Dahak, who served as al-Qaida’s ambassador to the rebels in Chechnya. On a personal level, two of bin Laden’s teenage sons, Sa’ad and Hamza, also were taken to Iran.

Be warned, the article is three pages long:
Al-Qaida finds safe haven in Iran

So esteemed members of ATS, is the Al-Qaeda leadership being sheltered in Iran?
Would not the evidences presented here point directly to that being a reasonable conclusion?
Is Iran harboring Osama bin Laden, as well?
Incidentally, some think so.
Some analysts suspect bin Laden slipped into Iran

Some within the U.S. intelligence community think Osama bin Laden is in eastern Iran, instead of the rugged tribal areas of Pakistan's northwestern frontier, where most American officials think he is still on the run.

Related past ATS topic threads:

If it was proven that Osama Bin Laden was receiving asylum in Iran as it was proven that Afghanistan was providing a safe haven for Osama bin Laden under the Taliban and the United States demanded that the Iranian government turn over Bin Laden, would Iran do so?

About Iran
Iran – The Ultimate State Sponsor of Terror: Osama’s New Home
Bin laden...where is he?
Where is Bin-Laden ??...
Osama Caught?and Let Go?in Iran
Where is bin Laden? Author locates him alive, well, planning 'American Hiroshima'

seekerof

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yeah, we are going to war with Iran. It seems almost unavoidable.

NR

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
please can you shut up for once? your almost as annoying as that skippy guy..... Were going to war with Iran tommrow or today or next month, god make up your mind!!! if you want to go war with us than do it now, and stop posting 1 liners u contribute nothing to this thread.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
i dont think the question is whether or not UBL is in iran, but whether or not iran is actually protecting him there. if it can be proven that the country itself is definitely in league with AQ, then there are very bad times ahead, indeed.

but keep in mind that there is always the possibility of his being there without government approval or knowledge. its a slim chance, considering iran's government is full of hardliners, but it is possible.

cjf

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Very interesting reading.

Should there be a quantifiable and tangible form of ‘evidences’ surrounding Iran’s support/action/inaction concerning these ongoing issues perhaps she may find she has pushed too far.

Inside of another thread I stated Iran’s current statements and actions are moving her from the ‘spotlight’ to underneath the ‘microscope’ (not a good place for her).

IMHO Iran is also currently giving China and Russia a viable reason/out (perhaps even forcing) to abstain from UN Security Council voting as they did in the IAEA referral. Sadly, should it turn-out AQ and/or OBL has truly found a form of ‘residence’ in Iran, it will be the proverbial straw….especially if this particular thought moves from the minority…

From previously quoted source:

Asked whether the U.S. intelligence community thinks bin Laden may be in Iran, a senior administration official told The Washington Times, "Some people think he is."

One convention of thought is that after the Nov. 2006 US congressional election period, heated exchanges and political rhetoric would begin building from the US side aimed toward Iran pending expected 'expired' European negociations. Iran seems to be pushing the date forward as of late. Unforunately, evidence and evidence of her intent is building daily.

However, Iran seems to be doing enough continued 'international' damage to herself. The US may be able to smartly maintain a position of distance for some time to come as Iran seems to be doing a fine job of cutting her own throat without much prodding.

Originally posted by snafu7700
but keep in mind that there is always the possibility of his being there without government approval or knowledge. its a slim chance, considering iran's government is full of hardliners, but it is possible.

If various outside agencies are receiving ‘information’ concerning Iran’s interior similar signals are at least being detected by Iran’s intelligence, whether the information is accurate or not. If OBL is there, Iran knows 'of it'.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf
Inside of another thread I stated Iran’s current statements and actions are moving her from the ‘spotlight’ to underneath the ‘microscope’ (not a good place for her).

I would agree with the mention of from the "spotlight" to under the "microscope," cjf.

I ran across this from the Bahrain Tribune Daily, covering Bush's speech given in Norfolk, Virginia today.

US President George W. Bush yesterday assailed Syria and Iran as terrorism patrons and sought to bolster waning support for the war in Iraq.
“State sponsors like Syria and Iran have a long history of collaboration with terrorists - and they deserve no patience from the victims of terror,” the president told his audience in Norfolk, Virginia, near the home of the world’s largest naval station.

“The United States makes no distinction between those who commit acts of terror and those who support and harbour them - because they are equally guilty of murder,” he said.
“In the last year, America and our partners in the Proliferation Security Initiative have stopped more than a dozen shipments of suspected weapons technology - including equipment for Iran’s ballistic missile programme,” he said.

Facing slumping support for the war in Iraq, Bush warned that “the terrorists regard Iraq as the central front in their war against humanity. And we must recognise Iraq as the central front in our war against terror.”
“This enemy considers every retreat of the civilised world as an invitation to greater violence. In Iraq, there is no peace without victory - and so we will keep our nerve and win that victory,” said Bush.

“These extremists distort the idea of jihad into a call for terrorism, murder against Christians and Hindus and Jews, and also against Muslims who do not share their radical vision, whom they regard as heretics,” Bush said.
Bush drew parallels between radical Islamic and communist ideologies, saying the “murderous ideology of Islamic radicals was the great challenge of our century.” He said it resembled the struggle against communism in the last century.

Iran and Syria under attack! Countries backing terror guilty of murder: Bush

Having the "microscope" placed on Iran would certainly not be in Iran's favor. It seems that the divide continues to ever-grow, but if it is proven that indeed Al-Qaeda and/or Bin Laden is operating out of Iran, that will not be good.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Seeker, this post has been done, I tried it myself as well Dont have time to get the link, but it must still be ob the first page...

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It is linked, skippy, in my original post under past ATS topics.
It was also done over four months ago.
A new article is being presented, backed by past researched articles on this, and further backed by my posting those relevant past ATS like topics.

If I missed one, let me know, or simply link it up.

seekerof

cjf

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Interesting views by some ME analysts on this topic which make some sense:
The article also contains some information about ‘others’ in Iranian 'custody'.

Kenneth Katzman, a Middle East analyst at the Congressional Research Service, said it's possible that some of the suspected terrorists are being held in guarded villas, and he doubted any detention is uncomfortable.

"I think that Iran sees these guys as something of an insurance policy," Katzman said. "It's leverage."

Rasool Nafisi, a Middle East analyst who studies conservative groups in Iran, said Iran has returned some lower-level operatives to their home countries but probably is keeping higher-ranking operatives as a bartering chip.

"Remember, Islamic tradition is very much based on haggling," Nafisi said. "If I were the Iranian government, I'd be very happy to have them and to use them in future negotiations with the United States."
asia.news.yahoo.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">June AP Article

If this was/is the case they are now more of a liability than a nego. tool/leverage, times have moved past this point and Iran is being called to a comeuppance.

“The combination of a state that supports terrorism, calls openly for export of Islamic revolution, calls openly for destruction of another country and develops nuclear weapons cannot be tolerated any more” --Uri D, Israel
Source

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Oh Lord, here We go Again!

I have a Certain Feeling od Deja-Vu!

Feels like it's 2002 and Bush is getting Ready for a New War, and oh BEHOLD, Suddenly all the Information starts to "Pour out" about Iran connected to Al-Qaeda!

No Way Dude!

WAY!

Just like Saddam used to be the Father of all Al-Qaeda Connections - and Later they all prooved to be FAKED - today this Role belongs to Iran.

If you ask me, this the the List that the US Admin sees right now.

It's called: Greatest Oil Reserves by Country, 2005:

1. Saudi Arabia 261.9 (Proved reserves in billion barrels)
2. Canada 178.81
3. Iran 125.8
4. Iraq 115.0
5. Kuwait 101.5
6. United Arab Emirates 97.8
7. Venezuela 77.2
8. Russia 60.0
9. Libya 39.0
10. Nigeria 35.3

Terrorism? Nuclear Ambitions? That's just a One Big Smokescreen for the REAL REASON:

Iran's oil gambit - and potential affront to the US

How the Iranian government's plans to create an oil exchange fit into a strategy of weakening US economic hegemony.

Last month the Iranian government quietly reaffirmed plans to create by next year a euro-denominated exchange in oil, natural gas, and other petroleum products. If successful, such an exchange could start to lap at the walls of the two existing oil exchanges - London's International Petroleum Exchange (IPE) and the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) - both owned by American companies

Source:
Christian Science Monitor

Could it be that Iran's Petrol-Politics are the REAL problem, which the US Administration is trying to remove?

The Real Reasons Why Iran is the Next Target:The Emerging Euro-denominated International Oil Marker

The Iranians are about to commit an "offense" far greater than Saddam Hussein's conversion to the euro of Iraq’s oil exports in the fall of 2000. Numerous articles have revealed Pentagon planning for operations against Iran as early as 2005. While the publicly stated reasons will be over Iran's nuclear ambitions, there are unspoken macroeconomic drivers explaining the Real Reasons regarding the 2nd stage of petrodollar warfare - Iran's upcoming euro-based oil Bourse.

In 2005-2006, The Tehran government has a developed a plan to begin competing with New York's NYMEX and London's IPE with respect to international oil trades - using a euro-denominated international oil-trading mechanism. This means that without some form of US intervention, the euro is going to establish a firm foothold in the international oil trade. Given U.S. debt levels and the stated neoconservative project for U.S. global domination, Tehran's objective constitutes an obvious encroachment on U.S. dollar supremacy in the international oil market

We can't Affor that to Happen!

Not in this Times of Oil Price Crisis!

That is Outrageous!

So, please, spare me that "BooHoo There are Terrorists in Iran" Speach, seeker - save it for the people like skippy, cjs, IAF101 and their Friends and relatives.

Today the Majority of the Population of this World agrees, that Bush LIED to us all, about the Reasons for the War in Iraq. All of them were Faked.

So, what makes you think that he will Tell the TRUTH this time, hm?

Unfortunately, it has become clear that yet another manufactured war, or some type of ill-advised covert operation is inevitable under President George W. Bush, should he win the 2004 Presidential Election. Numerous news reports over the past several months have revealed that the neoconservatives are quietly - but actively - planning for the second petrodollar war, this time against Iran.

"Deep in the Pentagon, admirals and generals are updating plans for possible U.S. military action in Syria and Iran. The Defense Department unit responsible for military planning for the two troublesome countries is "busier than ever," an administration official says. Some Bush advisers characterize the work as merely an effort to revise routine plans the Pentagon maintains for all contingencies in light of the Iraq war. More skittish bureaucrats say the updates are accompanied by a revived campaign by administration conservatives and neocons for more hard-line U.S. policies toward the countries"…"Even hard-liners acknowledge that given the U.S. military commitment in Iraq, a U.S. attack on either country would be an unlikely last resort; covert action of some kind is the favored route for Washington hard-liners who want regime change in Damascus and Tehran."

I think that the Real Threat to this World are the Hard-Liners coming from Washington, who plan regime changes for their Corporate Reasons - then LIE about every single "official" reason.

And it all starts with the "OH NO, They are Harboring Al-Qaeda!" speech.

How Pathetic is that?

You know, there is an Old Saying in Tennessee...

I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
yet more rubbish flowing out of the white house

bushs imagination must be working on overtime

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
shia helping sunni/wahabi? anyone knowing anything on muslim/arab/persian relations, knows such a suggestion is funny to even consider, especially persian shia helping arab sunnis/wahabis is even more funny to consider.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It was done this week, by me and Delta. Mine was locked due to Deltas

Free Range Al Qaeda

And

Iran lets Al Qaida leader's sons and other followers roam free and protected.

Pretty much the same stuff. You did a better job I suppose, but the storys been done

[edit on 29-10-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well el presidente has been pretty much on hold with his war agenda because of all the unfortunate events at the White House, with Cheney's Cheney and everything.
Its over. Time to get our minds of THOSE insignificant problems. Its now full speed ahead and onto save the world.

cjf

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
So, please, spare me that "BooHoo There are Terrorists in Iran" Speach, seeker - save it for the people like skippy, cjs, IAF101 and their Friends and relatives.

There is humor in how, ironically, how you insinuate the predictability of Bush let alone anyone else!

Find one post where I fully agree or state for a fact my 'belief' OBL or AQ are in residing inside Iran or Iran is in fact harboring terrorists. You can not.
(Also, at least try to get my name right, it is only three letters)

There is a problem in understanding the concepts of 'discussing topics' vs. 'pulpit agenda time'. Souljah.

The notions and information contained in this topic thread (and other similar threads) span more than just a few years (not 'suddenly' as you state), is derived from multiple sources (not only 'hardliners') and ties to Iran and terrorism have been discussed far in advance of 9/11 by more than the just the United States.

This topic does not fit your agenda, fine. Lumping people together shows you do not read what is written and continue to assume far too much.

Typical, right?.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NR
please can you shut up for once? your almost as annoying as that skippy guy..... Were going to war with Iran tommrow or today or next month, god make up your mind!!! if you want to go war with us than do it now, and stop posting 1 liners u contribute nothing to this thread.

The last thing I want is war with Iran. It just seems like that is the direction we are heading.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Look wheter or not Osama is in Iran or not.......Iran is a big threat to face because of the Nuclear weapons and terorist they support. however if we were to invade Iran, Osama would slip out again from under our noses. if they want OBL they will send Black Ops into Tehran.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
nb25

In this article that appeared in the New Yorker last January, Seymour Hersh claimed that the United States had in fact already begun conducting "black reconnaissance" missions inside Iran.

The Administration has been conducting secret reconnaissance missions inside Iran at least since last summer. Much of the focus is on the accumulation of intelligence and targeting information on Iranian nuclear, chemical, and missile sites, both declared and suspected. The goal is to identify and isolate three dozen, and perhaps more, such targets that could be destroyed by precision strikes and short-term commando raids

Shortly thereafter Pentagon spokesman, Lawrence DiRita, issued
this statement which lambasted Mr. Hersh's claims.

Mr. Hersh’s article is so riddled with errors of fundamental fact that the credibility of his entire piece is destroyed.

The DOD response further stated:

Mr. Hersh’s source(s) feed him with rumor, innuendo, and assertions about meetings that never happened, programs that do not exist, and statements by officials that were never made.

You will note however, that while attacking Mr. Hersh's article and sources, the DOD never actually denied that covert operations had taken place inside of Iran.

It's my humble opinion, that Iran's nuclear ambitions are WAY more important to the folks at the Pentagon, than Osama bin-Laden's whereabouts. And therefore ANY covert operations taking place inside Iran would be to locate and target facilities involved in Iran's nuclear weapons program, rather than to target OBL.

If OBL or any other high value Al-Queda targets are in Iran, the only way to get them out is politically.

new topics

top topics

join