It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Japan ruling party proposes having 'real' military

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
In a news conference today, the Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's, head of the Liberal Democratic Party proposed that they revise the constitution. Since the 1940's, over 60 years ago, with their Military defeat in WW2 they have had the same pacifist constitution.

news.yahoo.com
Japan should possess a military not just to defend itself, a role to which it has been restricted for nearly 60 years, but to play a greater role in global security, the main ruling party said on Friday.

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's Liberal Democratic Party proposed revising the country's pacifist constitution, which has not been changed since it was written by U.S. Occupation authorities just after World War Two

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hmm... I am not sure what to make of this, on one hand it is good that Japan is moving towards taking care of their own Nation. It might in fact be a step towards the United States removing their air force bases - in the long run.

However, I feel that this will not sit well with Korea [North or South] and will force China to begin to spend more money in their military. There are still many people alive who remember the actions of the Japanese Goverment during WW2 and this will not sit well with many of these people.

This announcement, after the problems last week with Junichiro Koizumi's visiting the "Shrine" to Wartime dead, has put them once more on "thin ice" with South Korea and China - this will likely only force them further away.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Better that other nations remain weak, for those nations in power anyway.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Very interesting. And scary.

Events over the past 5 odd years have changed our world from being overtly pacifist, if covertly aggressive, to being overtly aggressive.

Hopefully someone's wings will be clipped soon so things will settle down again.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well, you only clip wings so that someone may not fly.

I would say let them fly. I know change is scary for everyone but sometimes change can be good. Not only that...why would anyone assume its backed by overt aggressive intent?

It could be very defensive intent. Pacifist means they wouldn't even fight to defend themselves (in theory) so maybe THAT is the real intent.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Ok so Japan will make an army/airforce/navy again? ANd if CHina spends more money on the military, what will happen? Will another USSR happen? China is, last I heard, not a country of wealth.

Also, imagine what they will develope, they have technology so advanced in the tech realm it boggles the mind, now take that to the Military?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

ZedicusZulZorander

Well, you only clip wings so that someone may not fly.

I would say let them fly. I know change is scary for everyone but sometimes change can be good. Not only that...why would anyone assume its backed by overt aggressive intent?

It could be very defensive intent.

I was being too oblique. I meant the Bush/Eagle's wings should be clipped - and meant to imply that the newly adopted policy of pre-emptive strikes has everybody doing the same thing, and getting more aggressive too.

I agree that Japan likely is thinking more of defense, at least now.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Seems like a smart move to me. If the US gets tied up in the middle east some time in the near future (this could realistically happen if the US had to invade and occupy Iran and others), Japan is going to need their own capability to deter China from taking advantage of the situation. Right now i don't think there is a power in asia that wants a war unless they can get easy gains without much risk, so having Japan and China well armed will create a balance of power in the region.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Sorry, but beat you to it, over a year ago.

www.atsnn.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
China is already increasing spending on its military like crazy.

Japan is thinking of doing this because of that very reason, and China's obvious future goal to dominate that reigon. Japans is in that regoin and they dont quite like that concept.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Good Job Japan!
It's about time they start remembering their honorable origin and stop playing Pokemon.

Honestly, rape, molestation, sexual abuse, and too many video games are way too common in Japan for their own good. I recently read an article where they were thinking about making their female cops wear miniskirts to make the cops more popular.

In my opinion this militaristic move is long over due.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Sorry, but beat you to it, over a year ago.

www.atsnn.com...

This is a different story to the one you posted.

A Japanese defense ministry panel has urged that the military be given the capability to launch pre-emptive strikes, a move that would deviate from Japan's long-held defense-only policy, Japanese media said Friday

This time, Junichiro Koizumi's, their prime minister has came forward and said it. There is actually a rather large difference there mate.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I was being too oblique. I meant the Bush/Eagle's wings should be clipped - and meant to imply that the newly adopted policy of pre-emptive strikes has everybody doing the same thing, and getting more aggressive too.

Everybody's doing the same thing? I haven't seen a single country engage in a pre-emptive strike since the Iraq invasion. Furthermore, the only country I've seen take anykind of pre-emptive stance (other than the US) is Russia, with regards to terrorist bases/training camps. So to say that everyone is engaging in pre-emptive strikes is incorrect, unless you meant that everyone is adopting the policy of pre-emptive strikes- but even in that case you'd still be wrong. And Japan's PM's attempts to ratify their constitution has absolutely nothing to do with pre-emptive strikes.

As for the subject at hand.... I think it's a good move on Japan's part. Japan is a very close ally of the United States, and we could use their influence and military strength in Asia. China is already spending an exhorbant amount of money on their military- an amount which they won't even reveal. I can't see them possibly being able to spend more than they already are without risking a financial collapse of their government. With the threat of a powerful Communist military with millions of troops right across Japan's shores, I think they have every right as a free and democratic nation to strengthen their military. And as their ally, I feel we should support such actions.

It's completely unfair to ask Japan to use restraint with regards to building their military, while they face constant provocation from two neighboring communist nations. Chinese subs are popping up in their territorial waters, North Korea is firing ballistic missiles over their airspace as well as developing and stockpiling nuclear weapons. And people actually think Japan should do nothing defensively about it? It's that kind of pascification that paved the way for Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, etc.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It's about time Japan took responsibility for their own military needs. The U.S. has been carrying the burden of that responsibility for them for a long time now. Not having to support a military has given Japan a giant economic leg-up over all the other countries in the region.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Another thing is that with an increased spending on the military by Japan, there is an increased potential for profit for the US Defense area. Japan buys lots of US equipment since WW2, and several times has been licensed the ability to produce US aircraft. With the Kitty Hawk retiring, Japan could buy the carrier and jump start its offensive capability. With a joint agreement Japan could use the existing forward-based support in the US base and receive training while a new Nimitz class carrier is delivered for the USN. The support infrastructure is already in place, and I fairly confident the USN wouldnt mind since they are in Japan.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It will be more a policy shift than anything, despite the "pacifism" written into their constitution, Japan has a large, very modern military already. The JMSDF in particular is a large, extremely well-armed force, more than capable of taking on the PLAN within Japan's sphere of influence. For historical and domestic political reasons, the SDF lives up to it's name, and is not geared toward power projection, but it is already quite capable of defeating any likely aggressor.

A rundown of the JMSDF: World Navies Today: Japan

[edit on 10/29/05 by xmotex]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Ugghh...having been to Japan on several occasions, one of which was a peace convention, it would sadden me to see the peaceful, mature nation of Japan regress back into its old ways. I mean I understand if the country wishes to expand its defensive powers, but history shows that defensive powers almost always become offensive.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Japan has a large, very modern military already. The JMSDF in particular is a large, extremely well-armed force, more than capable of taking on the PLAN within Japan's sphere of influence.

, but it is already quite capable of defeating any likely aggressor.

A rundown of the JMSDF: World Navies Today: Japan

[edit on 10/29/05 by xmotex]

Japan would in their current state get their @$$ handed to them by China
The numbers are just in China's favor.Not even getting into the fact that Chinas has Nulcear ICBMS

edit- took out graphs since they were old numbers from 2000

[edit on 29-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
How so?

I mean it's clear that China has a significant numerical advantage, but in the context of the only way a modern Sino-Japanese conflict could be fought (by sea) their advantage shrinks considerably. They have lots of obsolescent frigates, most of which would likely never get within firing range of the much more modern Japanese surface forces. Their sub force is, again, confronted by a smaller but far more modern Japanese force .

Of course the Chinese have a large conventional ballistic missile force but it remains to be see how much that would actually inhibit the Japanese military's ability to operate. And if they go nuclear, they have to deal with the probability (near certainty IMHO) of US retailiation.

In reality, neither side is currently equipped to wage agressive war against the other, certainly not a land war. They might duke it out at sea, in which case I'd give the advantage to the Japanese. The Japanese are using modern USN weapons and sensors, where the Chinese are still a generation (or two) behind.

[edit on 10/30/05 by xmotex]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I have not seen the latest world-wide figures on what percentage of GNP goes to the military of each nation in a long time, but the last time I did look, the Japanese spent relatively very little.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Also note this, the Japenese have made a human mind control. Seriously no lie and in the news too. What if they use it for war.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join