It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Iranian made SAM to enter full production.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
NR

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I can post the source but its in farsi again through mehr news. The sam can fire up to 3 missles at once and has its own radar tracking its target down, have a look.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
They are massive...!!
Im no weapon expert, would they bring down a isreali jet?

NR

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
They are massive...!!
Im no weapon expert, would they bring down a isreali jet?

If a SA-3 brought down a stealthy F-117 and a SA-6 bringin takin on F-16C than your dam right this thing will bring any Isreali jet to the ground!! it has a good powerfull radar also, so yes chances are any jetfighter coming close to it will probably get toasted.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Is it just me or do they look like something fairly old and American?

(a scaled up Falcon AAM maybe?)

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I'd say because of the fin positioning and the size, they look more Russian.

It's going to require quite a big launcher and transport. That could be a weakness.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The top picture and bottom picture are of a MIM-23 Hawk SAM battery, or an indigenous version of the same system. These weapons were provided to Iran in large quantities prior to the 1979 revolution.

The Iranians have shown a recent capacity for developing indigenous versions of weapon systems they have been provided in the past, and then applying minor upgrades and modifications to the Iranian versions. This is due to the fact that so many countries will no longer sell them advanced weapons, and they must rely on an internal manufacturing capability to keep their armed forces equipped.

Nevertheless, these systems are based on technology 30+ years old, and probably aren't very effective against modern combat aircraft with proper support and ECM. I wonder how the folks at Raytheon feel about having one of their old SAMs illegally copied and manufactured by Iran? Mad, or flattered?

NR

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Nevertheless, these systems are based on technology 30+ years old, and probably aren't very effective against modern combat aircraft with proper support and ECM. I wonder how the folks at Raytheon feel about having one of their old SAMs illegally copied and manufactured by Iran? Mad, or flattered?

Theres alot of SAMs out there that are 30+ years old and those still can knock down any fighters as of today, how bout SA-6 or SA-5, SA-3 those are still very capable of doing alot of damage.... And you also stated that no country would sell us advance SAMS... i'm sure you heard of S-300 and S-400 and why buy when u can make your own???

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by Pyros
The top picture and bottom picture are of a MIM-23 Hawk SAM battery...

Good eyes, sminkeypinkey and Pyros.

For a moment there, I was going to assert that it looked alot like the old US Hawk system.

Nice find, NR.

seekerof

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Seekerof]

NR

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by Pyros
The top picture and bottom picture are of a MIM-23 Hawk SAM battery...

Good eyes, sminkeypinkey and Pyros.

For a moment there, I was going to assert that it looked alot like the old US Hawk system.

Nice find, NR.

seekerof

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Seekerof]

Np Seekerof, theres alot more SAMS i'll post here than anybody ever knew of, but i also came across this sam. Is it the same or different?

[edit on 28-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Looks almost the same:

Raytheon SAM-A-18/M3/MIM-23 Hawk

seekerof

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Older Hawk batteries, which were still supplied by the US during the Iran-Iraq war. Last upgrade from Raytheon was probably the "home-on-jam" to counter the Iraq aircraft jamming capabilities. Some of the Hawk missiles were modified to be carried on aircraft, for launch against aircraft. Iranian Hawk batteries have been modified to launch various other surface-to-air weapons. Old US-made Hawk batteries are all over the world, having been sold for many years. Supplies of parts and replacements are likely to be easy to find on the world market.

Sayyad-1
Iranian developed missile, supposedly based on Hawk and Standard technology. Also admitted by Iran to be a Chinese SA-2.
Globalsecurity.org article on Sayyad-1
external image
Click to see full size image.

HQ-7 / FM-80/-90 Feimeng 80
Point defense missile for launch from vehicles. Similar to Stingers on a Hummer, only bigger. Made in China.
globalsecurity.org article on Feimeng 80
external image
Click for full sized image.

The images are from ITPO - Iranian Exporters, listed under "machinery"; a catalog of weapons.
www.iranexporters.org...
www.iranexporters.org...

Notes:
NTI - Iran Profile - Ballistic Missile Capabilities

Available information suggests that Iran has a current ballistic missile inventory of 325-550 systems: 200-300 Shehab-1, 100-150 Shehab-2, 25-100 Shehab-3, and 1-5 Shehab-4/5 prototypes.

Arms Control Association article on transfer of 12 Kh-55 cruise missiles

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hamidreza Asefi told reporters April 10 that he believed the missile transfer reports to be incorrect.

Rumours:
Syria will share it's recently imported Soviet SA-18 surface-to-air equipment.
Iran will soon export weaponry to Zaire.
Russian experts completed the installation of two advanced anti-aircraft radar systems around the Bushehr nuclear reactor, and others around the uranium enrichment plants in Isfahan.

Opinion: The smuggled transfer of 12 Kh-55 medium-range, air-launched cruise missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads from Ukraine to Iran is of greater interest. Iran does not have the capability to make a nuclear warhead small enough to use on a cruise missile. What will the cruise missiles be used for?

Disclaimer: Because of conflicting data on Iran's military and it's weaponry, solid analysis is difficult to produce. Reasonable assumptions can be made, mostly along lines of continued importation of "banned" items from various nations willing to sell for profit.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I just read a detailed article in the Combat Aircraft Mag on "Opera Stinger"..
Very impressive..
The Saudis and the jordanians knew the israelis were coming; King Hussein had seen em crossing over into Saudi Arabia from his yacht..
But those radars didn't spot any of the jets and there were lots of them..
8 strike a/c (F-16s) and 6 support/comm relay a/c (F-15s)..
All went over undetected, flying at an alt of not morethan 200ft in the whole onward journey.
The only time they came up radar when they went up a little to avoid power lines

So perfectly executed was this op that even Pakistan which is 4000km+ from Israel started worrying about their nuclear assets.

They(Pak) were afraid that the Israelis would convince the indians to carry out such a strike and/or operate from India itself and/or train InAF pilots in the intricacies of low-level deep penetration strike..
(India had acquired the Jaguar abt then)..

AFter reading that article I will not want to underestimate the Israeli AF if I am Iran.
What is min altitude for the SAM radars? 60 m??
Israelis got any strategic cruise missiles??
The only reason they may not be attacking is because of the Iraninan ballistic arsenal..

NR, a simple question:
Do you want the destruction of Israel like most of your country men, and if yes do you really think it can be EVER achieved w/o total destruction of your own country?

NR

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

NR, a simple question:
Do you want the destruction of Israel like most of your country men, and if yes do you really think it can be EVER achieved w/o total destruction of your own country?

Israel is too tiny to even be seen on the map....

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NR

Israel is too tiny to even be seen on the map....

Yeah thats the irony of it all!!
Something so small can wreak havoc with nations exponentially larger that itself.

Atom ant anyone??

NR

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Back to the topic please, We also make our own versian of these which are called Rapier SAM. These ones are known to have locked on to a B-2 once, anybody have any thoughts on them?.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
Back to the topic please, We also make our own versian of these which are called Rapier SAM. These ones are known to have locked on to a B-2 once, anybody have any thoughts on them?.

u got any proof dat those missiles have the ability to lock on to the B-2 bombers. u got to have proof instead of assumptions dat it can detect the stealth bombers.

NR

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It was in aircraft projects or weaponry i'm not sure but UK's rapier sam picked up their B-2 during an excersise, its not stealthy at all buddy...

[edit on 29-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
It was in aircraft projects or weaponry i'm not sure but UK's rapier sam picked up their B-2 during an excersise, its not stealthy at all buddy...

maybe u can help me link to where the discussion is about the system because i sure as heck cant find it aniwhere with the search system. i put Rapier, missile, sam, etc. nothing except leading it back to here.

NR

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I knoe i'm trying to find it too but i know it was a discussion about UK's rapier sam picking up a B-2 with alot of pictures. I'll take a good look

NR

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I know i'm trying to find it too but i know where it was, was definatley a discussion about UK's rapier sam picking up a B-2 with alot of pictures. I'll take a good look

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join