It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think picking Miers for the Supreme Court was all planned?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
i know its based on assumptions but Miers was not really qualified based on her resume to earned that job in the view of the Democrats and the Republicans...true? u dink Karl Rove knew that there would be strong opposition by the Conservative Republicans to stop her and that Bush would be forced to pull her name out of the nomination and pick sombody extremely conservative? dis is significant for its possible to do wat is considered impossible....overturning the Roe v. Wade.
and with sombody extremely conservative and pushing the court to the right.....think about it......also Bush probably knows since Karl Rove would inform him for dis particular subject about abortion which Bush strongly opposes and i believe he mentioned trying to overturn it. in anicase its a very good strategy.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I really don't think so. He has a remarkable reputation for rewarding his loyal circle - he's one of the worst in recent memory. He tends not to really think some of his nominees through. I think that he was trying to do one or perhaps both of the following:

1 - move fast to take advantage of the Robert's victory. For a Chief Justice, he sure flew through the nomination process.

2 - By choosing someone whose record is - supposedly - scanty, the President was hoping to slip someone under the radar of the conservatives and liberals alike.

Rowe v. Wade is fairly firmly entrenched. I don't think that it is likely to get overturned. If Rove is behind this in any way, it is more likely he is trying to deflect attention to someone else!

There seems to be a shift in the national political sentiment. The partisans on both ends of the spectrum seem to be diminishing. The moderates finally seem to be gaining in influence. The conservatives attacked Bush to test their influence. And they won. Choosing Meirs didn't help much. Her lackluster performance does make one wonder if she was a set-up. But Bush's rating is something like 42%. The war is going poorly, with no way out. The deficit is spiralling out of control, and the Katrina/Rita nightmare is running the deficit to frightening levels.

Bush - a lame duck or no - has committed himself to establishing a grand legacy. I can't see him setting up another failure. Any legacy he's likely to leave behind can be seen in graveyards here and in Iraq. His only shot is to pack the Supreme Court - and once again, he's chosen unwisely.

I am just amazed that the Conservatives and the Liberals actually agree on something. THis is a miracle, eh?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
You don't need a Republican majority to overturn Roe. Bush doesn't want it overturned BTW.

All a president has to do is declare it unconstitutional. Even if you don't believe in the humanity of the unborn, you have to admit that Roe was a federal power grab in violation of the Tenth Amendment--and any ruling that goes against the Constitution is null and void. So technically it's still illegal.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This whole administration is fixed. Vote? Why? What good will it do? They are all pre-planned well in advance of thier duties. They are all aliens IMHO. The only way they can take over the world is through war. Notice how every time someone in higher power gets caught doing something illigal or bad, what happens to them? They get thier hand smacked and go on thier way to continue the job. Or commet suicide cause they can't take not being in control. We don't have a Presdent. Just a puppet off the strings of the Black Projects.

[edit on 30-10-2005 by SkyChild_5]

new topics

top topics

join