It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:55 PM
link   
DNA was formed when lighting struck the "primordial soup." A famous experiment confirmed that such an event makes DNA like strands. Surely, one out of a billion or so of these might make good instructions for a cell of some kind.

What I want to know is: what interpreted this information? How did the first cell ever come from the DNA. For life to be produced, there needs to be a cell from its parents so that the DNA could be interpreted.

Ok, there are some DNA strands floating around. It comes into contact with the exact chemicals in the exact right way so that a cell is formed.....some how this does not even come close to sounding scientific or plausible.

Can someone please explain to me how life, in a scientists view, began.

From the cell on, I can see how it developed from unicellular to multicellular.........Just how did the first cell come to exist?

[Edited on 17-9-2003 by TheManWithThePlan]

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   
That premise or "theory" obviously dosn't cut it......
There have been numerous hypothosis on what "sparked" the "primordial soup" and any of them are good enough for most scientist to sleep on and not have nightmares.
I see the above presented premise amounting as much.
If it is legit......send it in to these judges, many upon many who are quite respected in their fields, and win the 1.3 +/- million that is being offered!

"The Origin-of-Life Prize �"
Link:
www.us.net...

Oh...here's the 'Criteria for winning':

"Major issues

Applicants must provide

A. a well-conceived, detailed hypothetical mechanism explaining how the rise of genetic instructions sufficient to give rise to life as defined in "Definitions" below might have occurred in Nature by natural processes, and an

B. empirical correlation to the real world of biochemistry and molecular biology - not just mathematical or computer models - of how the prescriptive information characteristic of all known living organisms might have arisen.

The mechanism must address four topics:

The simplest known genome's apparent anticipation and directing of future events toward biological ends, both metabolic and structural;

The ability of the genome to convey instructions, deliver orders, and actually produce the needed biological end-products;

The indirectness of recipe-like biological "linguistic" message code - the gap between genotypic prescriptive information (instruction) and phenotypic expression. How did the first genetic instruction arise in its coded format prior to phenotypic realization of progeny from which the environment could select? If a protobiont's genetic code and phenotype were one and the same, how did such a simple system self-organize to meet the nine minimum conditions of "life" enumerated below under "Definitions"? How did stellar energy, the four known forces of physics (strong and weak nuclear forces, electromagnetic force, and gravity), and natural processes produce initial prescriptive information (instruction/recipe) using direct or indirect code?

The bizarre concentration of singlehanded optical isomers (homochirality of enantiomers) in living things - how did a relatively pure population of left-handed amino acids or right-handed sugars arise out of a chemical environment wherein reactions ordinarily give rise to roughly equal numbers of both right- and left-handed optical isomers?"

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 17-9-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
heres a good site on an interview that sheds a lot of light on the subject.

www.accessexcellence.org...

Submarine vents don't make organic compounds, they decompose them. Indeed, these vents are one of the limiting factors on what organic compounds you are going to have in the primitive oceans. At the present time, the entire ocean goes through those vents in 10 million years.

lets say in 10 million years, you get a pretty advanced cell. That cell would roughly follow the path of the currents through these vents. That cell wouldn't be able to resist being sucked into a vent and be destroyed. That whole evolutionary process would have to be done all over again. I doubt that cell, in 10 million years, could develop motor skills to move around and out of the current of the ocean. I would think that the Earth, back then, would be much more violent then it is now; more volcanoes and lava pools to destroy life....

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the official scientific answer to this is: "I dunno."

DNA like strands can occure in nature, and under the right circumstances "cell like" structures can form. Science hasn't yet figured out how the first one became something that could reproduce itself.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You need to research Ganash particles.

join