It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Harriet Miers Withdraws From SCOTUS Nomination

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
this does not bode well....Bush isn't the type of personality to take this setback gracefully and he will either (since he isn't up for re-election) turn against the part of his base that "betrayed" him, which I think is highly unlikely but possible OR he is going to chose someone who is so conservative as to make Robert Bork look liberal and who is totally unacceptable to everyone except the hard right, like John Ashcroft for example (who I was expecting to be nominated in the first place) and set the stage for a very nasty fight, in which, no matter who wins, the country loses. But then that has been part and parcel of the Bush Administration since the very beginning.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If Bush honestly thought Harriet Miers was a serious candidate for a seat on the Supreme Court then she has really let him down by withdrawing her name from consideration. She could have at least hung in there and fought for the job.

Personally, I don't think she should ever have been nominated for the job to begin with. The country needed a name put forth that had a long track record on issues important to both liberals and conservatives. There might have been a hell of a fight, but at least all sides would know in advance what they were trying to do and more importantly the American public would have known. The nomination of Harriet Miers, who has no track record at all, was either an attempt to sneak a conservative onto the court or a serious tactical blunder by the administration, or both. For my money, I thought Ted Olsen would have made an excellent candidate. He may be a Democrat, but he is a conservative Democrat and most importantly everyone in America would have known the law and the constitution would be paramount. An attempt, by either liberals or conservatives, to stack the court just isn't going to fly with the majority of Americans.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
What really concerns me is Bushes mental state (yes even he has a mind LOL), that he is a psychologically flawed individual should be without question by now, that he is fundamentally a very fragile, indeed brittle one should be of great concern to all of us. As his second term fizzles into lame duckhood, not even a year into it and his agenda becomes overtaken by his wannabe replacements we are going to begin seeing the true measure of this man...no Prince Hal this one or even a King Lear, more like Falstaff, ultimately a tragic buffoon...to absurd to be taken seriously, too sad to be laughed at. None of this would be an issue except for the power he has at his fingertips...he may or may not have had a hand in 9/11 (personally I don't think he did, one thing this administration truly lacks is any form of imagination) but just wait...if it looks like he's going down watch out...desperate people do desperate things...if things continue the way this Miers nomination has we are going to see a flaying about, like a fish out of water...and if Rove goes...OI VIE!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I believe the president has made a wise decision in accepting Harriet Miers' withdrawal as a nominee to the Supreme Court.

In recent days I have grown increasingly concerned about her conservative credentials, and I was dismayed to learn this week about her speech in 1993, in which she sounded pro-abortion themes, and expressed so much praise for left-wing feminist leaders.

When the president announced this nominee, I expressed my tentative support, based on what I was able to discover about her. But I also said I would await the hearings to learn more about her judicial philosophy. Based on what we now know about Miss Miers, it appears that we would not have been able to support her candidacy. Thankfully, that difficult evaluation is no longer necessary."

~Dr James Dobson, Leader o' The Free Freakin' World

Thaaaaaaaaaaaat's right mainstream America. Up and down votes are for people we think agree with us only.

"Conservative credentials."

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
So the president said that her qualifications were that he picked her. Now she has withdrawn. What does that say with Bush's ability at leadership?

So they couldn't get a cronie in, BRING IN THE WINGNUT!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I had a theory Harriet was just a decoy or his real nomination and that he planned to nominate a horrible under qualified person just to let the Dems shoot her down. Then he would bring in a Rep. he really wanted with plenty of Judicial experience and he would get in with little effort.

But she withdraw so my theory is shot

[edit on 27-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
could the possibility of 2 SC vacencies ratehr close to eachother, as well as as the Hief justice thrown them for a loop, and Harriet was just a quick picK with little thought?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join