It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Harriet Miers Withdraws From SCOTUS Nomination

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Harriet Miers has removed herself from consideration for Associate Justice of the United States.

MSNBC
WASHINGTON - Confronted with criticism from both the left and right, Harriet Miers on Thursday withdrew her nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In a statement, President Bush said he “reluctantly accepted” her decision to withdraw, after weeks of insisting that he did not want her to step down.

The White House said he blamed her withdrawal on calls in the Senate for the release of internal White House documents that the administration has insisted were protected by executive privilege.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm glad this fiasco is now over. Hopefully we can get someone better now.

[edit on 10/27/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 29-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Here is your link dj
msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
EXCELLENT! She shouldn't have been there to begin with.
Glad to see she has some common sense. Get out and
don't let the door hit ya' on the way out.

Perhaps the second questionaire was too difficult
for her ??

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yes she was unqualified, but she was outed as pro-seperation of church and state and self determination over moral authority last night by the National Review hours before withdrawing.

Conservatives are demanding a litmus test now that the next appointee disagree with the American people on civil liberty case law like Roe.

It's only going to get uglier. For the right.

Probably should have just let Bush have his stealth Souter. Now you get to be told by America you're crazy. And we get to watch.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
YAY!

This is very good news.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Wowsa! This is different news, indeed!

I wonder who the next subject/person will be in the matter of idolizing and corruptness and such... I am amused.

I have no personal favorites, I have learnt that they are all bad underneath their appearance anyway...

Yeah! The politicians has really lost my interest and respect.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There's also the fact that Bush refused to turn over the Documents on Miers that the Senate was asking for.

"It's a red line I'm not willing to cross," Mr. Bush said. His flat refusal raised the stakes for Ms. Miers's Senate confirmation hearings, set to begin two weeks from now, as the president seemed to acknowledge.

An interesting side note is that Miers briefed Bush on the August 6th, 2001 Memo titled: Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the US (or something like that)

Sources

This picture is from that day:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Another vacation from reality ends. Not that she had any chance of getting confirmed anyway. The mere fact of her nomination indicates the desperation at the White House over this vacancy. I doubt the next nominee will be any more favorable to the fanatics on either side. Hopefully a little more qualified and experienced, though.

Like I said, I liked her for being a wildcard. We need more of those to shake up the status quo a little bit.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Sucks when the person doesn't have the same ideology as ya eh?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Sucks when the person doesn't have the same ideology as ya eh?

It's so funny. If she had been unqualifed and rAdIcAl she'd have the full support of the crazy people that bought the White House.

But noooooo.

MIERS, WHITE HOUSE SURRENDER TO ULTRACONSERVATIVES

Right Wing Power Politics Overwhelm President’s Supreme Court Pick

Harriet Miers’ withdrawal from her Supreme Court nomination demonstrates that ultraconservatives are so determined to swing the Supreme Court sharply to the right that they pounded their own president’s nominee into submission, and now demand a nominee with unquestioned far-right credentials, said Ralph G. Neas, President of People For the American Way.

“It’s an astonishing spectacle. The unelected power-brokers of the far right have forced the withdrawal of President Bush’s own Supreme Court nominee, before a confirmation hearing has even been held. President Bush’s complete capitulation to the far-right interest groups is astounding. The ultra-right wing dominance of Republican Party politics is complete, and they have dealt a terrible blow to an already weakened President and his administration,” said Neas. “Right-wingers are openly saying they elected Bush to put a battle-ready ultraconservative on the court to replace the moderate Sandra Day O’Connor, and they’re demanding a new choice – bipartisanship, moderation and mainstream Americans be damned.”

People for the American Way reaction.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Is there a President the radical right doesn't try to take down?

The Miers Withdrawal: A Sign of Weakness
The withdrawal of Harriet Miers today sends a signal that President Bush’s agenda and political power are in a state of increasing weakness:

“Despite an outcry among some conservatives over the nomination, Specter said yesterday that he doubted Miers would withdraw from consideration or that Bush would ask her to. ‘It would be seen as a tremendous sign of weakness to have her withdraw,’ Specter said.” [Philadelphia Inquirer, 10/18/05]

“For her part, Totenberg does not believe the chatter that Miers might withdraw, saying that ‘it would make the president look weak,’ she said.” [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 10/19/05]

“Either Miers will be confirmed to the Supreme Court with some conservative votes against her and a general feeling of distaste, or conservative opposition will cause Miers to withdraw or be defeated, further weakening the president.” [The Hill, 10/12/05]

“[T]he main argument against a Miers’ withdrawal is that President Bush is probably determined to see it through. It would seem to be out of character for him to surrender to the critics. … It would be out of character for him to withdraw her name, and he probably has calculated that a withdrawal would be widely interpreted as a sign of political weakness, and that by itself would make it more difficult for him to deal with an increasingly skeptical Congress.” [Dick Polman, Philadelphia Inquirer, 10/13/05]

Mort Kondracke: “If [Bush] were to pull her now, this would be an indication that he’s caving into the right-wing groups.” [Fox News, 10/26/05]

Bush, 10/7/05

Q So are you ruling it out, any withdrawal?

PRESIDENT BUSH: No, she is going to be on the bench, she’ll be confirmed — and when she’s on the bench people will see a fantastic woman who is honest, open, humble and capable of being a great Supreme Court Judge.

President Dobson? Come on down. You and Vice President Pat Robertson officially run the country now.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Indeed, its pretty impressive. There was a heck of a hullabaloo over democrats, representing just short of a majority of the senate, and at least a plurality of the public, blocking the presidents nominees. Now a very small group in government and amoung the public has probably done just that, and through 'extra-governmental' channels, ie the party structure.

What happened to the president needing to have who he wants put on the court or nominated to the various secretariates and ambasadorships?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The white house is in crisis and that is a fact, Bush has lost control of his presidency, if he ever had any control to begin with, we all know who has been calling the shots all alone.

Perhaps Bush was none guilty of everything he has been accused off, perhaps he is just the sitting duck.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Oh what a wonderful day.Not conservative enough? Marg, Bush and his people DO call the shots, this is just one case where the high powered Republicans rule.
Anyhow this is the least of their problems. They still cant sleep much at the White House.

Rant- I wouldnt be surprised if Pat Robertson gets the job.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think this nomination failed much more on Capitol Hill than on the right-wing radio talkshows or think-tanks. Apparently her answers to her nominee questionairre were abyssmal and her performance in one-on-one meetings with Senators were equally horrible with Senators saying she spoke so softly they couldn't understand what she was saying and otherwise just responded with cliches that gave no insight into her thoughts.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Since when is being soft spoken a sign of weakness?

The more education you have the more soft spoken you tend to be.
She never had a chance.

She must be very releived at all this. I know i would be.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Bush has lost control of his presidency

He's in a lame duck presidency.
Most of this is just plain ol' lame duck.
Some of it is bad decisions (nominating Harriet).
Some is typical crooked politicians getting caught (Rove).
Both of which happen to the dems as well.

For Bush to have 'lost control' he would have had to have
had it to begin with. Cheney and Rummy have been running
the country, not W. The only thing W has tried to get done
is mucking with the constitution to get marriage declared
to be only between a man and a woman... and that has
failed (is failing?).

Harriet wasn't qualified.
She didn't even understand how to fill out the questionaires
for her nomination. She got the nomination in 'payment' to
stroking G.W. ... nothing more. (IMHO)

[edit on 10/27/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I think this nomination failed much more on Capitol Hill than on the right-wing radio talkshows or think-tanks. Apparently her answers to her nominee questionairre were abyssmal and her performance in one-on-one meetings with Senators were equally horrible with Senators saying she spoke so softly they couldn't understand what she was saying and otherwise just responded with cliches that gave no insight into her thoughts.

Senator Specter (R) was just speaking. He's furious. She thought she was going to get an up or down vote. She delivered "on time" 8 boxes of answers to the questionnaire last night at end of day. She was ready to fight for her vote and for the President.

But those people that demand nothing less than an up or down vote on everyone the president puts up simply refused her her day.

Mind you, I was no fan at all, but the right doesn't even care if it's oozing hypocrisy at this point. You run ads against what you just did. You hold Church town halls against it. Then you do it yourself and gloat.

You

are

crazy

people.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I agree, and it was these people, which include Bush's GOP BASE and not the far right, which ultimately forced her hand.

from RANT
Senator Specter (R) was just speaking. He's furious. She thought she was going to get an up or down vote. She delivered "on time" 8 boxes of answers to the questionnaire last night at end of day. She was ready to fight for her vote and for the President.

She was scheduled to deliver the completed second questionairre yesterday by, I think, 9PM at the latest. She met with Bush at approx 8:30PM and told him she wanted to withdraw.

And then the completed questionairre was finally delivered at midnight, hours after she had made her decision to withdraw. ?? Why bother?
Edit typo

[edit on 27-10-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
How in the world could a Republican, conservative administration take over the White House knowing there was a very real probability they might get to nominate two and mayby three people to the Supreme Court and then not be ready to submit a serious candidate for a seat. If this represents the state of advance planning by the Bush administration its no damn wonder we went into Iraq unprepared for the reality of the situation there.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join