It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

identify a constellation ? (diagram)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Sorry I have a not very exciting question for this forum. I didn't see a proper forum in BTS so I apologize if this is not Space-conspiracy related if that even matters.

Anyway I am in Detroit and I see a constellation often and I can't find it online in photos. Is seems to be the only one I ever see at night on a clear night maybe you can tell me what or where I can go to type in my area/date/time to tell me what constellations I would see here.

Anyway I will type out the pattern of the main parts or brightest stars in it. I am gonna type it in a vertical manner but I see this set of stars on a 30 degree angle from the vertical diagram I will type:

___ o

-________ o
o________o________o
- ________o

_______________o

________O

Lines just to keep proper seperation as spaces won't save on forum

The star on the bottom is the brightest and I thought this constellation was the Northern Cross since that bottom star twinkles and it states the bottom of the Northern Cross is the blinking Nebula?
The three middle stars one on top of each other are very faint but are in perfect alignment of eachother as well as distance seperation.

NOTE: there are stars I sometimes see much farther up from this set which may or may not relate.

Thanks I appreciate any help on this and again I apologize if there was a better forum for such topic.

Cheers

[edit on 25-10-2005 by japike]

[edit on 26-10-2005 by japike]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Orion, without a doubt...

I'm in Ypsi!

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It can't stay here, but where to put this post?!?
Don't worry, japike, this is what they pay me the big bucks to do. I'll figure somethingout.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
EDIT: Ok I just went outside I am guessing your view would not be to much differnt than mine. The bottom star I was wondering about is directly right of the Moon right now.

Thanks do you know off hand what the bright star on the bottom is?
Ok just wikepedia'd it heh
en.wikipedia.org...:Orion_constellation_map.png
In the picture in the above link is "K" or "Sirius" what I saw so big and bright that looked to be blinking. Judging by the diagram I drew and the diagram on there it seems Sirius matches the alignment more??

Speaking of Ypsi I was gonna go down there for a mother board last week til my car broke :Z Hey did you know in Ypsi or Ann Arbor there is a Church of Scientology lol I could not belive there was one here in Michigan.

Sidenote:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
No problem.

I'll worry about a new home for it tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The bright one at the bottom is the bright star, Sirius.

Space Exploration, TC. Space Exploration.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
heh I am at work now and this is what they pay me the big bucks for lol..visiting ATS and paying more attention to the moon and blinking nebulas than work hahha.

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
No problem.

I'll worry about a new home for it tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
yup that's Orion. The orange star your seeing is Betelgeuse, the really really bright one at the bottom is sirius and if you look behind it you will see Plaeides
or the 7 sisters.

new topics

top topics

join