It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing home troops is American priority

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
A Rasmussen poll indicates that a majority of the American people see bringing the troops home is more important than insuring that Iraq is a free nation.

Are Americans unwilling to go the distance? I don't think that is the case. Do Americans smell a rat? Probably. Are they wondering why it is imparative that Iraq becomes a Democracy (mob rule under military control)? Possibly.

www.rasmussenreports.com...

This is the first time this sentiment has taken the majority, and is at 53%

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I guess the military community that is great are feeling the stress and perhaps even the sentiments of their love ones in Iraq.

In the beginning it was all motivation and support but after a while every body is getting tire, the families, the nations economy and the troops.

I don't find this surprising at all, and then taking in consideration that even with the so call progress in Iraq, elections, constitution and change of power, the reality is that Iraq is not more safe now that it was when US move in.

Yes is time to come home.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I guess the military community that is great are feeling the stress and perhaps even the sentiments of their love ones in Iraq.

the poll doesnt represent the military families. yes the American people including the families of the military personnel want them home. but i dink they prefer they finish the job then left undone dat would come back to haunt them.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yeah lets let almost 2000 deaths be for nothing, lets let 25 million hang dry, and lets let the extremists have a tactical and moral victory over us where they can plan the next attack. Lets lose all of our strategic force in the middle east and pretend we will be nice and safe until we get blow up again years later.

Sounds reasonable to me.
If only the average person who votes on these polls has an inkling on the situation. One can only wish right?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
YEs, bring them home. THey should have been brought back over a year ago. They said this would not become another Vietnam-type event where there will be no time scale for the soldiers coming home, but this is what it has become.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
at the risk of repeating myself:

has anyone considered the fact that this is exactly what the terrorists want? we ran from them in beirut in 83. we ran again from somalia in 93. that is exactly what they expect to happen again in iraq. we should never have gone in to begin with, but if we leave now, we will be back in another decade. finish the damn drill so another generation doesnt have to do it for us....again.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I hear you, snafu, but consider another angle.

If we drag out our time there, it's going to only make the Islamic world more suspicious of our intentions. These people are not very receptive of Westerners being on their turf, and its hard to blame them.

why not build an Army training post and use a limited number of soldiers to train their soldiers. Also, why not send a portion of their soldiers, say, the NCO's, through schools in the states, such as military police school?
While doing this, take our soldiers out of the streets and have them, at most, as a back-up force in case the Iraqis get in a bind.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yeah lets let almost 2000 deaths be for nothing,

Make that over 2000 deaths. There's nothing we can do about that. They've already died for nothing. Let's stop it before 10,000 'die for nothing'.

Continuing to fight a losing battle isn't going to make their deaths any more noble or make them any more worthy. They deserve our respect and honor, which they have. Bringing the others home isn't going to change a thing about those 2000 deaths. Having more die in the same worthless struggle only makes it worse.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Died for nothing? A losing battle? Worthless?
Matter of subjective interpretation, is it not?

TC:

Are Americans unwilling to go the distance?

The answer is self-evident? Vietnam 101 to me.
My subjective opinion, based upon past historical references, is No.
Americans have been unwilling to go the distance since WWI, and other than 'stay the course' during WWII, the unwilling peaked during the Vietnam War.
The issue here, as always has been, is the death toll, the numbers of American dead in relation to cause.

I don't think that is the case.

If it is not entirely what I have described above, then it a significant contributing factor.

Do Americans smell a rat? Probably. Are they wondering why it is imparative that Iraq becomes a Democracy (mob rule under military control)? Possibly

Specifics please.
Virtually any military analyst worth a grain of credible salt will indicate that an immediate withdrawal from Iraq, timespan of 1-2 years, will lead to a number of so-called or termed bad outcomes, unless already specified governmental and military concerns are addressed. I should have no need to spell them out, for I know that you are quite aware of them due to your own military background. Nonetheless, it is imperative that the US stay the course. Another Vietnam 101.

why not build an Army training post and use a limited number of soldiers to train their soldiers. Also, why not send a portion of their soldiers, say, the NCO's, through schools in the states, such as military police school?
While doing this, take our soldiers out of the streets and have them, at most, as a back-up force in case the Iraqis get in a bind.

These are all good and solid ideas, TC.
My only concern or rebuttal would be: do you really think that what you suggests has not been presented or placed before those more in the know, the decision makers, military and/or governmental? Furthermore, considering what you lastly mentioned about using our troops as back-up, my understanding is that in most of the operations taking place most of Iraq, American and British troops are being used as back-up. I am sure there can be debate to this assertion, but what is or should be noteworthy here, is that the Iraqi security forces and military are increasingly taking on more and more responsibility, thus inherently, regulating US and British troops to back-up roles.

seekerof

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
This is the first time this sentiment has taken the majority, and is at 53%

This seems to parallel the President's disapproval rating.

I would like nothing more than to see all the troops come home, including my nephew. I think going in was a mistake, but would we make matters worse by pulling out now? America would loose any credibility it still has in the World, and it would give victory to the insurgents. Iraq could become the new Afghanistan with terrorist training camps, and we would have to go back again later. We are damned if we stay and damned if we leave.

BTW, aren't they building permanent bases over there?
I was under the impression we were going to maintain a presence indefinitely. I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
remember Osama's words where he mentioned he and his followers were surprise how weak and soft the Americans were wen we pulled out of Somalia? remember he and his followers thought the Americans were tough as the Russians? Osama calls us paper tiger. i guess dis pull out of Iraq would encourage him and his many followers. dont u dink?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What gives us the right to police the world? If we would have never helped Israel we wouldn’t be in the mess we are in today. The simple fact is we need to focus on our country and not others. It’s not our job to bring democracy to the rest of the world, in the process we are loosing ours! We should become isolationist plain and simple! We don’t need the rest of the world and their problems. The moment we leave Iraq it’s going to explode into civil war anyway. You saw the guns, grenade launchers and the rest of the Iraqi’s arsenal if they wanted Saddam gone they could have done it easy enough! We can’t go around like Romans and enforce our morals and beliefs on other cultures without expecting the same fate as Rome. Democracy is the end result for the barbarians anyway let them find it and win it in blood as we did.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
What gives us the right to police the world? If we would have never helped Israel we wouldn’t be in the mess we are in today. The simple fact is we need to focus on our country and not others. It’s not our job to bring democracy to the rest of the world, in the process we are loosing ours! We should become isolationist plain and simple! We don’t need the rest of the world and their problems. The moment we leave Iraq it’s going to explode into civil war anyway. You saw the guns, grenade launchers and the rest of the Iraqi’s arsenal if they wanted Saddam gone they could have done it easy enough! We can’t go around like Romans and enforce our morals and beliefs on other cultures without expecting the same fate as Rome. Democracy is the end result for the barbarians anyway let them find it and win it in blood as we did.

Yes and no.
Yes we should of NEVER gone to war with iraq in the first place.
But now we have, it would be stupid to pull out now.
Yes, 2000 soldiers have died, but fatality is the price you pay when you send soldiers in.
Im sorry i am not american, so cant really feel the emotion going around america, but being in the UK, i do understand why we went to war etc.
Under false statments.......
But if we pull out it will send a message to the insurgents that we are not strong willed, and as the insurgents promised, they drove us out of iraq.

I personally think theres a bigger picture here, middle east, oil, terrorists.
I dont think they will be leaving any time soon.
Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I too would love to see the troops come home, just like I would love to see us bring the troops home from our over seas bases and start policing our own country. But unfortunately that will not happen.

I also feel that it is way too soon for us to Pull out of Iraq. But me stating why has already been said.

Also yes, the Coalition forces are primarily used as back up supporting the Iraqi Army and from what I hear from friends over there, the Iraqi army is doing a decent job and getting better and bigger and also taking over more responsibility.

The sad thing is also that we will most likely always have a base over there and always have troops over there.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yeah.

We should bring the troops home. That way, they can protect us from the foreign troops that are waiting for the signal to start taking our guns. You gotta ask yourself, why do we need foreign troops on our soil? After all, we are the big bad untouchable USA...

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
. They said this would not become another Vietnam-type event where there will be no time scale for the soldiers coming home, but this is what it has become.

I dont think Vietnam is really a fair comparison to Iraq. In that war they were fighting a massive army with Super power support rather then a insurgency. The support of a super power can make a big difference just ask the Mujahideen

For many people of a certain age or political spectrum it often seems, Vietnam is like Elvis: it’s everywhere

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Your right on some points Denied the thing is the end result is the same regardless if we stay or if we go. More anti-americanism, civil war and unrest and higher terrorist recruitment. So why not just cut it loose and start to heal the old wounds before we get any new ones.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

What gives us the right to police the world? If we would have never helped Israel we wouldn’t be in the mess we are in today.

Israel? o yeah Israel is linked to Vietnam and Korean war and Kosovo and so on. Israel fought their own wars.

The simple fact is we need to focus on our country and not others. It’s not our job to bring democracy to the rest of the world, in the process we are loosing ours!

events force America to respond. how can we enjoy democracy wen we have terrorists taking advantage of failed states to expand their operations eh?

We should become isolationist plain and simple! We don’t need the rest of the world and their problems.

we try dat during the late 1930s and the years before WW1. both neither work as long as our nation is part of dis world.

The moment we leave Iraq it’s going to explode into civil war anyway. You saw the guns, grenade launchers and the rest of the Iraqi’s arsenal if they wanted Saddam gone they could have done it easy enough!

the Kurds and the Shiites try dat and the result was a massacre. dink u could have done better?

We can’t go around like Romans and enforce our morals and beliefs on other cultures without expecting the same fate as Rome. Democracy is the end result for the barbarians anyway let them find it and win it in blood as we did.

the world doesnt work the way is suppose in yer view dat people would leave other people alone so easily. even oceans and mountains dont prevent conflicts.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

What gives us the right to police the world? If we would have never helped Israel we wouldn’t be in the mess we are in today.

Israel? o yeah Israel is linked to Vietnam and Korean war and Kosovo and so on. Israel fought their own wars.

Israel did fight their own wars, why we aligned with these terrorist is a mystery to most. Osama himself has said on many occasions that one of the biggest reasons he has sentiments against the US is because the US chooses to align itself with Israel. We might not be in Iraq if it weren't for 9/11 and even if we were without 9/11 chances are the insurgency would not be as big.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Osama himself has said on many occasions that one of the biggest reasons he has sentiments against the US is because the US chooses to align itself with Israel. We might not be in Iraq if it weren't for 9/11 and even if we were without 9/11 chances are the insurgency would not be as big.

maybe he can explain the attacks on Shiites, Hindus, Buddists, and other infidels he views. i guess they must be align with Israel as well.

<<   2  3 >>

join