It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydrogen car makes it's own fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Now this is certianly the way of the future.. Good looking car as well, not some techno box.

www.physorg.com...

A unique system that can produce Hydrogen inside a car using common metals such as Magnesium and Aluminum was developed by an Israeli company.

The system solves all of the obstacles associated with the manufacturing, transporting and storing of hydrogen to be used in cars.

When it becomes commercial in a few years time, the system will be incorporated into cars that will cost about the same as existing conventional cars to run, and will be completely emission free.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yeah i read about this news on another site aswell. It seems to be all over the net at the moment and sounds amazing. The best part is that it will cost the same as any other car but produce no emissions. I really hope all cars will adapt this technology to other cars aswell. Nice post.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Wow, I really like the look of that car. Hopefully the makers don't mysteriously disappear before they can get it mass produced.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I wonder how much energy and pollution mining the metals cost us. How much to transport is another good question and what happens to the metals after they are depleted.

science.slashdot.org...

Here is the slashdot discussion and well the comments aren't too kind lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
A British scientist came up with a similar invention in the 1980's and BMW even did some work on it but they had some issues with the disposal of the oxide deposits.

I'm surprised it wasn't worked on further.

Here's the invention by Francois P. Cornish.

Text from a June, 30, 1982 European patent Publication

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION . According to the invention a method of generating hydrogen comprises the steps of exposing a fresh metal surface to water and heating the interface between the metal surface and the water at least to the lowest temperature at which the metal reacts with water to form a metal oxide and hydrogen, the metal being chosen from metals which are higher in the electromotive series than hydrogen and having stable and safe handling characteristics. Preferably the metal surface is exposed and the interface heated by pressing an electrode of the relevant metal against a second electrode under water and applying a high voltage between the electrodes while preferably moving the electrode surfaces relatively to one another.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That picture is actually the shelby gr-1 concept, based on the ford gt. The engine is a regular V-10

J_3

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Interesting. I installed a system like this on my honda civic a few months back.

I read about it on a geocities site, some guy came up with it on a free energy website.

Using aluminum diodes connected to batteries which would cause electrolysis to create hydrogen which was run into the engine mixed with the fuel.

The battery was then recharged by me turning both sides of my front axel into basically a wind turbine by creating a device with magnets to take advantage of the rotation energy. It's saved me a lot on gas.

Nice to see it go mainstream finally.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
That is cool, I like the look of the car. So it will be coming out in a few years, it's nice the cost will be the same as a regular type of car.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
You should have read the comments on the Slashdot article you probably took this from before posting it.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
A more recent news release about a British research group, said that they had figured out how to produce hydrogen "on demand". But news on that remains elusive, and even finding that original article has become difficult. No clue why.

It might have been about one of these:

Fuel Cell Today article on bacteria derived hydrogen
Fuel Cell Today article on propane powered fuel cell

The first article is about producing hydrogen from a bacteria type fuel cell tank. And the second is about running a fuel cell to produce electricity by using hydrogen or propane as a fuel source. Both concepts for fuel cell power are very new. That would allow a nice electric car that runs on propane. That's probably better than the current gasoline powered hybrid cars.

The problem with the fuel cells that use catalyst metals, is that a sludge forms, that has to be removed or avoided. I haven't heard of a solution to that problem yet.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by ZPE StarPilot]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
>Good looking car as well, not some techno box.

According to this:

"Illustration photo – the car in this image is not related to the story. Actual pictures of Engineuity's system are classified at this stage."

Also, it's a little abre, but if anyone is interested, here's the website for the company:

engineuitycoil.nationprotect.net...

[edit on 27-10-2005 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Refuelling the car based on this technology will also be remarkably simple. The vehicle will contain a mechanism for rolling the metal wire into a coil during the process of fuelling and the spent metal oxide, which was produced in the previous phase, will be collected from the car by vacuum suction.

The only minor drawback, which also limits the choice of possible metal fuel sources, is the weight of the coil. In order for the Hydrogen car to be able to travel as far as a conventional car it needs a metal coil three-times heavier than an equivalent petrol tank. Although this sound like a lot in most cars this will add up to about 100kg (220 pounds) and should not affect the performance of the car.

The coil needs to be replaced... 220 pounds of Aluminum/Magnesium? Do any of you know how much that would cost? Or I guess the better question is: how long will the coil last before it has to be replaced? There is going to be a whole lot of atom bonding going on.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I sure would like to get one of these or for that matter several. Our advances in hydrogen/mag. fuels has improved to the point now where is it much more feasible to persue. I would like to see these cars hitting the market here in the U.S. soon becasue it would help in a small way to ease the burden of our being dependent on oil from outside of our borders. They would get my vote.

new topics

top topics

join