It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Vermont Is Planning To Secede From The US

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
An abridged version. I can't find my own excellent
presentation just yet citing the Tax Foundation, divorce rates, education statistics, salaries, quality of life and all around FU to the red staters talking about kicking out blue states after the 2004 election, but I'll keep looking.

1 state, 2 state, red state, blue state...

Whatever, just vote for the guy w/ the smallest feet, 'cause one way or another, you're getting a foot in you a$$!

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I can see that still in some states like Vermont people still are in control of their destiny.

As opposed to who, people in Alabama? Or California? The good people of America are still and have always been in "control" of their own destiny.

Im in control of mine.....are you?

[edit on 24/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This is just insane! This isn't some punk "taking his ball and going home" because the game isn't going his way. This is (once again) a pack of radicals who think the world would be better off if the United States simply ceased to exist. They just want to be the first out the door.

Tell me, what great advancments were made while we were separate colonies? Hell, we couldn't even break from England until we banded together to form a single country.

Do any of you really think the we can remain "American" if our country is whittled apart to suit the egos of these Champions of Independence? If California broke from the country, it'd become a Mexican territory in NO time. (Unless it broke up again just north of Berkley.
) The same would happen with Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

In fact, I bet the same would happen with any state that broke away in the north. Canada would gobble it up in zero time. (Hey, these rogue states have to be kept under SOMEBODIES thumb!)

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
i think vermont is hoping the by seceeding other states may follow in its steps much like during the civil war.

kinda like vermont seceeds then shortly after another and another till you got the entire northeast split. and then everyone would be buying guns and ammo, illegal or not, they would all take arms.

and dont BS that canada would come in. they would be too afraid that when they took it US would kick them the hell back out anyway. they would just let USA take care of it.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I don't think anyone in their right mind believes this story. However I can imagine if it ever happened that today's Baghdad and Iraq would look like a place of sanctuary. I thought the question of whether states had the right to secede was answered by the civil war. I guess a few people don't believe in laws and history or they are just making a statement.

If there was enough support to secede, they wouldn't even need to secede to change many of the laws of Vermont. Just forget about federal funding for things like highways, schools, etc. etc.. On the other hand, those in support of seceding could find a deserted island somewhere and create their own country rather than try something like influencing votes in this country. I think it's amusing that I keep hearing of a group here or there that apparently doesn't believe they can get enough votes or influence enough people to support them to change this country but then they claim their goal is to get a whole state to secede from the US.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadboy

Whatever, just vote for the guy w/ the smallest feet, 'cause one way or another, you're getting a foot in you a$$!

The guy with the smallest feet would be a woman.

Hillary Clinton's Shoes

An angry liberal from 1997 mad at how ultra conservative Hillary and her Husband run the country.

I'm telling ya. She's the Republican's Goldwater girl in Dem's clothing.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by yadboy

The guy with the smallest feet would be a woman.

Hillary Clinton's Shoes

An angry liberal from 1997 mad at how ultra conservative Hillary and her Husband run the country.

I'm telling ya. She's the Republican's Goldwater girl in Dem's clothing.

Hil wears heels though, OUCH!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I would definitely look into moving if it happens.
But, isn't funny that a state a that was a huge opponent of southern secession talking about secession now?

df1

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thejunk
I would definitely look into moving if it happens.
But, isn't funny that a state a that was a huge opponent of southern secession talking about secession now?

I don't think Vermont was huge opponent of secession as much as they were a a huge opponent of slavery.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
After reading this post, I have to say all of you are totally off the mark. When Vermont chose to join the union, they made sure that their constitution had a session clause in it granting them the right to secede should the people of Vermont decided it was best. It also included a periodic referendum as to whether they should stay in the union. This referendum is still held, though it has been purely symbolic for ages. The last time they had such a vote was in the early 80's if I recall correctly. I was living in Maine at the time which is how I came to know of it. The U.S. Government at the time of their joining agreed to this clause and it has never been revoked by either party. Unlike the unfortunate southern experiment, the Vermont clause is not a theory to be tested but has actual legal standing. Should they desire it Vermont has every legal right to secede and the odds on favorite is that the Supreme Court would uphold it. Now, whether the federal government would allow it to happen thats another story all together.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
^provide some sort of link for all of those who were unaware of this.

if true and its really is legal then go for it vermont.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wiley_Wonka
This title is undeniably misleading.

Not only is it misleading but it seems to be giving some members the idea that most people in Vermont want this to happen, when in fact the article says nothing about that.

I wonder how many "some folks" really amounts to.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join